Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:37:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of network map street side at Reading Station......  (Read 3710 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: October 25, 2009, 22:26:47 »

There isnt one!

Got there, went to buy tickets - could not for the life of me remember whether which of the Wembleys was Chiltern............ran around like a woman possessed looking for a network map for the SE and London - there was not one to be seen!

Had to deal with humans in the ticket office!

Is there any logic for there not being one?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 23:59:05 »

Ah! Posters! Very interesting!

It probably looks quite random. But every poster board is identified (look for the board number on a label on the frame) and every poster board is allocated to either a TOC (Train Operating Company) or "general purpose", such as network maps. Some are single, some double size, such as the NE SouthEast map.

EVERY poster board has a designated poster to be displayed in it. Its controlled through a system called Hercules, which lists every poster board and the poster that should be displayed in it. Its a way of ensuring that all TOCs get their fair share, and regulated posters, such as the charter, welcome, security, A-Zs, and network posters all have their place.

Reading has over 400 poster boards! You would do very well to find wall space for any more!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 00:08:03 »

Ah! Posters! Very interesting!

It probably looks quite random. But every poster board is identified (look for the board number on a label on the frame) and every poster board is allocated to either a TOC (Train Operating Company) or "general purpose", such as network maps. Some are single, some double size, such as the NE SouthEast map.

EVERY poster board has a designated poster to be displayed in it. Its controlled through a system called Hercules, which lists every poster board and the poster that should be displayed in it. Its a way of ensuring that all TOCs get their fair share, and regulated posters, such as the charter, welcome, security, A-Zs, and network posters all have their place.

Reading has over 400 poster boards! You would do very well to find wall space for any more!

No issue with that BUT...................in the area near the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s where people may reasonably want to look up which station they need a ticket to, surely surely it makes sense to have a poster that I believe is at many other stations, including those which are not as integral to the SE rail network as Reading!  and its not just knowing WHICH Station but for those who have zonal card, they may need to check if a rarely travelled to station is in the correct zone and if they need to buy a new ticket - after all if they got to the barrier and tried to use an invalid card, you know what the revenue zealots would say........There are SO many posters there that are useless (I'm thinking one of the BTP (British Transport Police) guy on platform 4 near upper crust saying the BTP are there to help - do we really need that!

I was actually quite shocked there was not one (almost as shocked as that there was no posters or announcements at WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) about the line closure this summer when Reading were being inundated every five minutes with them!).

At Reading: Too Many Posters - Few Of Them Useful

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 18:52:51 »

From experience of getting bored hanging around on Platform 5 I know there is a Network South East Post near the waiting room.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 19:44:34 »

From experience of getting bored hanging around on Platform 5 I know there is a Network South East Post near the waiting room.

Yup - one on 4 as well somewhere - or there used to be - there is also one on 8.......

The point was - there ISNT one where it may be most useful in the ticket buying area!

Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 21:02:46 »

I can't think of anywhere that could be useful on the concourse at Reading, unless they get a smaller scale version and put it where the timetable posters are, but that still isn't close to the ticket machines.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 22:51:37 »

I can't think of anywhere that could be useful on the concourse at Reading, unless they get a smaller scale version and put it where the timetable posters are, but that still isn't close to the ticket machines.

I can - but I suspect it wont be allowable....

You know where the cross country reliability posters are - between the entrance and the upper crust - which no one ever reads anyway.......but I suspect they HAVE to show them in a VERY prominent place (otherwise shove them behind M&S - they'd get about as many people looking at them as they do now)

To be honest - yesterday - I didnt even need it to be NEAR the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s - just one on the side where you need to get a ticket (note - my season was left in scouseland on saturday and is being specialed down so I couldn't even use it to go railside and look at the ones there - but you average punter could not do that anyway)!  Surely this is not the first time someone has wanted one!

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 23:24:46 »

Perhaps an option to view a map of the railway (and tube) network on the display of the ticket machines would be a good idea? You could touch the station you want on the map and buy a ticket that way. If iPhone apps can do it, then surely the ticket machines can?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 23:27:29 »

Perhaps an option to view a map of the railway (and tube) network on the display of the ticket machines would be a good idea? You could touch the station you want on the map and buy a ticket that way. If iPhone apps can do it, then surely the ticket machines can?

I was only thinking that yesterday - but I thought it was too much like common sense for the rail industry to ever embrace

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: