Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
10:53 Swindon to Bristol Temple Meads
11:10 Westbury to Frome
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:40 Westbury to Weymouth
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 11:00:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[53] access for all at Devon stations report
[53] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[23] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best way to deal with squirrels - whether of the grey or red variety?
Get rid of all the grey ones - they are not native - 7 (25.9%)
Manage the numbers of the grey ones - 10 (37%)
Look after the red ones in preference to the grey ones - 7 (25.9%)
Get rid of all squirrels, of whatever hue - 1 (3.7%)
Don't know / care - 2 (7.4%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Squirrels - red or grey, on the railways or otherwise: merged topic  (Read 39653 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:31 »

Vote cast.

Although disappointed that there was no option: 'Eat Grey, spare Red.'  Tongue Wink Grin

Aw, shucks!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 21:41:50 »

Meanwhile - where was that squirrel last Sunday?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 21:51:45 »

Squirrel's not travelled far from the location that started this topic.

Round the bend to Worcester Shrub Hill.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2014, 21:54:15 »

Tis true. Must try harder!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2014, 23:10:18 »

We have enjoyed some great humour and lively discussion on the subject of squirrels, on this railway forum ( Roll Eyes ) - so I've now taken the opportunity to move and merge all such previous posts here, in this definitive topic on the subject.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2015, 17:41:01 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Project launched to up Gwynedd's red squirrel numbers

There are now more than 700 red squirrels on Anglesey

Conservationists are working to boost red squirrel numbers in north Wales.

There were fewer than 40 adult red squirrels on Anglesey 18 years ago but now, largely down to a major cull of grey squirrels, numbers have grown to more than 700.

Community groups on Anglesey will now advise residents in Gwynedd on ways to improve woodland habitats, erect nest boxes and monitor populations.

Anglesey has the largest single population of red squirrels in Wales.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2015, 19:42:25 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Ambulance called for dead Epping Forest squirrel

An ambulance service has urged people to think before they dial 999 after they received a call about a squirrel injured in a "hit-and-run".

The caller told the 999 handler how the animal had broken its neck after the accident in the Epping Forest area.

At first, the East of England Ambulance Service call handler assumes the victim is a person and seeks to confirm if an ambulance is needed. But it then emerged the victim was in fact a squirrel - which was dead.

Gary Morgan, eastern regional head of emergency operations centres, said: "We prioritise all life-threatening calls to get the quickest possible response. However, that response can be affected if our call handlers and front-line staff are dealing with inappropriate 999 calls."

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 20:16:33 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2015, 09:27:50 »

We need fewer (if any) Grey Squirrels, but you may not need a shotgun. Apparently, culling them doesn't even work very well, their populations recover quickly. A better approach, it is claimed, is to scare the grey squirrels into leaving, using pine martens. Sounds a bit too good to be true to me, but if it works...

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2015, 15:19:40 »

Slightly tenuous FGW (First Great Western) link, but the story made me smile. I do hope it was not the Coffee Shop's own resident squirrel?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-33541502

A "drunk" squirrel has caused hundreds of pounds of damage at a private members' club.

The secretary of Honeybourne Railway Club said he originally thought someone had broken into the premises, near Evesham in Worcestershire.

The floor was covered in beer and glasses and bottles smashed, Sam Boulter said.

Mr Boulter, 62, said he then saw a squirrel "staggering around" after coming out from behind a box of crisps.

'Turned on the taps'

He added: "There were bottles scattered around, money scattered around and he had obviously run across the bar's pumps and managed to turn on the Caffrey's tap.

"He must have flung himself on the handle and drank some as he was staggering around all over the place and moving a bit slowly.

"I've never seen a drunk squirrel before. He was sozzled and looked a bit worse for wear, shall we say."

Mr Boulter, who estimated he lost about ^300 in the incident, eventually caught the squirrel in a waste paper bin and released it out of the window.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2015, 18:51:07 »

He must have been nuts Smiley
Palfers

palfers19289@live.com
View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2015, 19:24:52 »

hope he wasn't looking for nobbys  nuts!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2015, 19:27:53 »

I wonder if he had been drinking Carling Black Label  (Who else remembers this being on Telly!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9GBl7UmVs
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2015, 15:39:22 »

It could have been a vexed squirrel trying to drown its sorrows over the sad state of affairs at Broadway... however, things seem to be improving on that front: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2350.msg179399#msg179399

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2015, 19:26:43 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-33541502

Mr Boulter, who estimated he lost about ^300 in the incident, eventually caught the squirrel in a waste paper bin and released it out of the window.

Section 14(1) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) states that:

...if any person releases or allows to escape into the wild any animal which^

(a)is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state; or

(b)is included in Part I of Schedule 9,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

Part I of Schedule 9 does indeed include grey squirrel. Mr Boulter may have been better advised to have requested anonymity.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2015, 21:59:51 »

Indeed: I have it on the best of authority that if the RSPCA have to treat or otherwise deal with a grey squirrel, the squirrel always apparently manages to 'escape' at the end of the incident, rather than 'be released'.  Lips sealed

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: