27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:32:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know whats happening around Reading this Sunday.  (Read 15957 times)
amiddl

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 21:42:01 »

We seem to be in the engineering works season which doesn't make working in the Thames Valley with family in Cornwall easy to facilitate. I am just so so glad I am not traveling back on Sunday.

It sounds like some major work going on in and around Reading. Just wondered what is going on Huh Anyone know.

Bit of a strange weekend to do it being end of half term
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 22:28:18 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website
Track improvements and maintenance are taking place from 02:00 on 01/11/09 to 02:00 on 02/11/09 between Reading and Westbury.
Whilst work is taking place, buses will replace trains
between Pewsey and Swindon
between Reading and Newbury

On Sunday 1 November 2009 track improvement work will be taking place between Reading and Newbury.Trains between London Paddington and Newbury, Pewsey, Westbury, Taunton, Exeter St Davids, Paignton, Plymouth and Penzance will be retimed and services will also be diverted via an alternative route. Replacement buses will also be in operation between: Pewsey and Swindon Reading and Newbury. Customers travelling on this route are advised to check journey times before travelling.

These sorts of possession's are booked into the system over a year ahead, if all the school holidays, special events, public holidays etc were avoided nothing would ever get done, NR» (Network Rail - home page) are working on processes to avoid possessions but there are still some tasks that need these blockades

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 23:05:35 »

Just planning my travel for January (Newbury - Plymouth each weekend) - Looks like every weekend during January we will be on rail relief buses.

I know "the work needs to be done" - but surely it could be organized better. Maybe thinking about the inconvenience regular travelers are being put to and not just providing a bus link to Theale and a train to Reading (as it seems to be shaping up for January) or an all stations bus to Reading (as in the past). Maybe thinking about a fast bus from Newbury and Thatcham to Reading as well (or to Didcot).

During January my Journey time will go from about three hours to five hours each way every weekend. That will means 4 weekends x a return journey (2 hours extra each way) = 16 Hours extra train travel.

Maybe it is time to give up on FGW (First Great Western) and start driving home. I am not impressed - Rant over.
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 23:45:31 »

This work is in conjunction with the signaling move from Reading to the new center at Didcot.

The Newbury panel is the first to move down there over the easter period.

Expect a fair bit of weekend disruption and a longer closure over the easter break.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 23:49:46 »

Just planning my travel for January (Newbury - Plymouth each weekend) - Looks like every weekend during January we will be on rail relief buses.

I know "the work needs to be done" - but surely it could be organized better. Maybe thinking about the inconvenience regular travelers are being put to and not just providing a bus link to Theale and a train to Reading (as it seems to be shaping up for January) or an all stations bus to Reading (as in the past). Maybe thinking about a fast bus from Newbury and Thatcham to Reading as well (or to Didcot).

During January my Journey time will go from about three hours to five hours each way every weekend. That will means 4 weekends x a return journey (2 hours extra each way) = 16 Hours extra train travel.

Maybe it is time to give up on FGW (First Great Western) and start driving home. I am not impressed - Rant over.

Your choice. Enjoy your seven hours driving on the A303 or M5/M4. And that's seven hours if the roads are clear......oh and you can't nod off, read a book/paper, make a call (unless hands-free), do some work, have a beer......

I'd rather have the 30-50mins on the bus then 4 hours on the train each way.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 23:51:56 »

Think i'd rather drive.

As far as i'm concerned coach journeys are the devil. I cannot stand them!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:05 »

Wait until next year and  Reading is shut  and HSTs (High Speed Train) will be going via High Wycombe.

You'll all need to buy your Baker's to work out how to get around.

amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:21 »

Likely as not will not drive although having driven regularly for  periods over the last 5 years - by travelling at the right times journey times have always been fairly consistently under 4 hours (yes there are the occasional occasions where something goes really wrong and you can spend 8 hours but these are fairly rare and with modern technology one can find a way around). As suggested after a long week at the office its better to snooze and read the way home.

Andover is looking a good bet only an additional 50 mins or so and a return of ^48 (plus  car parking for the weekend) vs the normal ^63  or may be park at Didcot.

I accept that there needs to be occasional engineering works but where there is an extended period of engineering consideration needs to be really given to trying to reduce the impact on travelers.

I had a period of traveling from Cornwall to Northampton last winter and what impressed my about Virgin and London Midland is they had a system over the relatively long term engineering work of both stopping buses and fast buses with god connections to get travellers to the destination more quickly. Have seen Southern do the same from Haywards Heath to Brighton. Reading to Newbury is only 20 mins or so add 20 mins for a connection and you should add under an hour  to a journey - 2 hours extra is crazy.

There potentially needs to be some easing in the ticketing arrangements last time I did this I was charged a Newbury - Plymouth via Reading which is more expensive than a Newbury/Plymouth direct.

I guess the argument that we are talking about relatively low numbers of passengers with diverse needs holds some water vs cost of providing alternative transport but muck regulars about to much and they will find new ways of travelling.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 12:42:25 »

Wasn't the consensus last time something like this was discussed that they shouldn't be charging you 'via Reading' just because of engineering work, and the journey planners were wrongly displaying those fares.

IMX all you ever do is buy whatever ticket you use normally, and the diversion just happens?

Paul
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 15:33:46 »

Wait until next year and  Reading is shut  and HSTs (High Speed Train) will be going via High Wycombe.

You'll all need to buy your Baker's to work out how to get around.

So what route will they be taking?  and how long for and how big is the impact?

Just trying to work out how on earth I can get to Crowthorne if Reading is shut.

With that and the cotswolds blockades....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 16:14:41 »

It's not as bad as the post makes out, Reading will probably have a complete block on trains around Christmas 2010.
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 16:38:47 »

Wasn't the consensus last time something like this was discussed that they shouldn't be charging you 'via Reading' just because of engineering work, and the journey planners were wrongly displaying those fares.

IMX all you ever do is buy whatever ticket you use normally, and the diversion just happens?

The trouble is its all good in theory but haven't worked out a way to actually buy at not via Reading rate - ticket office doesn't want to sell and website wont let you buy.

Its the time lost that annoys me rather than the cost.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 17:06:55 »

ticket office doesn't want to sell and website wont let you buy.

In theory, if you ask for it, they should sell it!
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 17:13:24 »

in practice they won't - though have only tried Newbury - Maybe will try Reading
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 17:28:18 by amiddl » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 18:10:22 »

Some HST's/Turbos will probably be going via High Wycombe over the coming years whilst Reading is being re-developed. As Ollie says though it will probably be largely confined to weekends and Bank Holidays. I know that discussions are taking place as to how to get HST's round that route - a time consuming reversal will be required at either Aynho Junction or Banbury, and there might also be issues concerning the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) as the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and Chiltern's system differ. If they're coming from the Cotswolds they'll also need to reverse at Oxford, so I suspect that on affected days the Cotswold Line will run as a shuttle as far as Oxford and diverted Swansea/Bristol trains will come via Didcot West Curve up to Oxford so they only have to reverse once. There's not that much capacity on the Chiltern Line though, so it won't be a case of all trains going that way.

I very much doubt weekday services will be affected much, and I doubt there'll be much happening next year - but when the rebuilt really gets going in 2011 and beyond. Sadly, all these wonderful enhancement projects will cause much disruption at weekends and holiday periods for many years to come!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: