18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 23:10:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Scottish Borders Railway - rebuilt Waverley Route link to Edinburgh  (Read 67281 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2015, 09:03:51 »

I'd also suggest that a run around facility near Tweedbank should be high on the list of future enhancements, to avoid the need for two locos and enable steam haulage both ways, which would reduce costs and increase the attractiveness of the steam proposition. 

Running backwards 'tender-first' is limited to 45mph, so steam haulage both ways would almost certainly require a turntable as well - an expensive prospect, and not one that could be justified without knowing how successful these trips prove.
Not sure if the source is accurate, but I've read in the past that there is one loco which can run tender-first at 60mph (see here).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2015, 16:47:50 »

Not sure if the source is accurate, but I've read in the past that there is one loco which can run tender-first at 60mph (see here).

That may be true but posts on this thread a year before do not suggest 76079 benefits from a higher limit, and it would seem surprising tbh.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 00:48:28 »

From The Scotsman

SCOTRAIL is so short of trains following the opening of the Borders Railway that it may be forced to hire extra carriages to cope with booming demand across the network.

Travellers on the line have complained of overcrowding ^ as have commuters on routes across the Central Belt.

Other packed services include the North Berwick and Dunblane lines into Edinburgh, and the Ayr-Glasgow route.

I wondered where they had got the trains from ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 10:36:32 »

Ironically the recent infill electrification projects were designed (in part) to release enough dmu's to enable the service to run. However, I understand the Abellio's franchise bid included releasing some stock elsewhere, which is behind the issue. Funnily enough, their PR (Public Relations) at franchise win and launch forgot to mention that 4 relatively new 3 car units (Cl 170) would be making the journey down to Sussex. Think what a difference they would have made to the Borders Railway overcrowding.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2015, 17:58:20 »

Don't I remember a franchise bid in 2006? somewhere further south that released some units they 'did not need'.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2015, 19:04:35 »

Don't I remember a franchise bid in 2006? somewhere further south that released some units they 'did not need'.

Yes, I seem to recall as part of that they thought they could reduce the Cardiff Portsmouth services back down to 2 cars, just a couple of years after Wessex Trains had increased them to 3.  I still can't believe how anyone thought that was ever going to work.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2015, 16:40:56 »

Yes, I seem to recall as part of that they thought they could reduce the Cardiff Portsmouth services back down to 2 cars, just a couple of years after Wessex Trains had increased them to 3.  I still can't believe how anyone thought that was ever going to work.

They are often 4-car now and very busy, especially between Cardiff, Bristol, and Bath.

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2015, 16:57:38 »

They are often 4-car now and very busy, especially between Cardiff, Bristol, and Bath.
I thought Cardiff-Portsmouth was now worked by 3-car 158s. Assuming you are correct and they are 4-car, is that a 153 + 3-car 158?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2015, 18:20:25 »

Some are 4 Car between Cardiff and Westbury and vice versa.   The grand total of 2 !!!, so I don't know where the idea has come to transform 3 x Car 158s into 4.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2015, 20:04:19 »

Apologies - I didn't finish the story which was that 3 car sets were reinstated a couple of years later after the furore of the fares strike and other activity which followed the sharp reduction in regional rolling stock in the area.

If I recall this package was dressed up as the government punishing FGW (First Great Western) for poor service by forcing them to pay for the improvements when of course it was the government which accepted their franchise bid in the first instance.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2015, 20:24:41 »

There's a history of franchise bids being based on making more efficient use of fewer trains.  And I can understand the frustration with "all that stock around" - the ratio of seats to passenger journeys must make an accountant shudder.  On TransWilts, I think we have around 530,000 seats per annum and (figures from last weekend) around 230,000 journeys.   That's 43% seat occupancy.    And our seat numbers are low as it's an infrequent 1 coach train, with journey numbers being quite high because it's not seasonal.   Talk of overcrowding on the Waverley route ... but I'll bet the southbound services before 9 a.m. aren't packed ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2015, 17:08:23 »

A review of the re-opening, from Railway Technology:

Borders Railway: Scotland^s symbol of a golden age

On 6 September, trains returned to the Scottish Borders for the first time in 46 years. The opening of the new Borders Railway, running between Tweedbank and Edinburgh, is the longest new domestic railway built in Britain for over a century. However, despite the fanfare and undoubted benefits, can the network cope with growing demand?

When the first passengers stepped on to a train at Tweedbank station on a sunny September morning, it marked the end of what some have called a great injustice. The Reshaping of British Railways, a report by the then British Railways chairman Richard Beeching, saw the closure of the old Waverley Line in 1969, which ran through the Borders from Edinburgh to Carlisle.

This meant that the Scottish Borders was the only region of Britain without a train service. The town of Hawick took the brunt of the problems; its distance from Edinburgh and Carlisle left it as the largest town farthest from a railway station.

"People were condemned to a bus journey to Edinburgh [that took] almost twice as long as the train," says rail expert David Spaven, author of Waverley Route: the life, death and rebirth. "People had very difficult access to jobs and employment opportunities. It took so long to get anywhere. From many perspectives it was a great injustice."

Righting the wrongs of this injustice took many years and hard work - mostly by those in the area and through grassroots campaigning. Some of these campaigns began before the closure in 1969, but the project was given in a shot in arm in 1998, when the Campaign for Borders Rail (CBR (Cost Benefit Ratioi (1/BCR))) was organised. It has been fighting for the restoration of rail services along the former Waverley route ever since, says the campaign group's chair Simon Walton.

"Many people said that we were whistling in the wind when we attempted to form the campaign in the late 90s," says Walton. "Well, it's taken a long time but we've proved them wrong on that point. I'm glad to say that many of those detractors have said 'we were wrong'."

With the formation of the campaign, 17,000 signatures supporting the restoration were gathered by the CBR. Following this, the Waverley Railway Project was established by Scottish Borders and Midlothian councils to undertake the development of the Waverley Railway Bill, which was passed by the Scottish Parliament in 2006. Main works then began in 2013, with the Network Rail project team working to a budget of ^294m. The finished line runs from Tweedbank, through Galashiels and Newtongrange, up to Edinburgh Waverley.

"In the early days it wasn't a mainstream political project," explains Spaven. "What campaigners had to do was demonstrate, through their own research, hard work and feasibility studies, that the reopening of the railway was feasible. In the early days we certainly felt that it was going to be an uphill struggle."

ScotRail Alliance managing director Phil Verster says this long struggle and subsequent success marks a "huge achievement for those grassroots campaigners, as well as the many hundreds of men and women who have been connected to the project since its inception over a decade ago", adding that it is "historically significant".

The reopening represents much more than just a local grassroots achievement. It provides a chance to reinvigorate, economically and socially, an area that Walton says has been "blighted for nigh on 50 years".

"[The closure] disconnected those communities," he says. "[The loss of the railway] made it pretty much impossible for communities up and down the line to broaden their economic horizons and do what had, until then, been possible. It's far more than simply connecting to a railway network; it's connecting to the whole economic network."

Broadening those horizons can be separated into three areas: tourism, employment, and education.

"I think as many have said, it's absolutely crucial that the railway is literally putting the Borders back on the map," argues Spaven, who adds that the line will encourage more young people to stay in the Borders, "while accessing those [employment and education] opportunities in Midlothian and Edinburgh".

Verster agrees, explaining that a regular train service - running every half hour, except evenings and Sundays - is proving to be popular for social activities. "Sports events, concerts, theatres and restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow are now more accessible for residents along the route," he says.

The case is backed by businesses and educational facilities, too. Spark Energy CEO (Chief Executive Officer) Chris Gauld has said that the railway will make the company "much more accessible from Edinburgh, and a viable alternative to commuting to jobs in Glasgow for IT developers", while the Borders College has outlined how it will provide better access to college courses and facilities for the communities living along the train route.

Scottish Infrastructure Secretary Keith Brown has stated that it is a chance to access "new work, learning and social opportunities, as well as new business and industry links".

"I was in a caf^ recently and prior to the line [coming back] it was pretty much on its knees and possibly close to closure," explains Walton. "Now, from opening time, it's virtually impossible to get a seat. Businesses up and down the railway line have said they have seen considerable increases in business, particular in Borders towns like Galashiels."

Despite the undoubted benefits the line has generated the Borders Railway is not without its problems. During the first month of service the route saw more than more than 125,000 journeys, something that drew widespread praise, but has also presented challenges. The soaring demand prompted ScotRail to add extra carriages to certain trains.

Early estimates suggested one million passengers within the first five years, but the indications are that this could be highly inaccurate. Verster says: "The business case for the new route carried out by Ernst and Young in 2012 suggested that the line would carry 650,000 passengers during the first 12 months... but we must not rush to judge the success of the new line based on that post-opening phase."

Walton, who has warned that there was a lack of future-proofing in the design of the route, says one of the main gripes is the lack of double-track. The original specification included over 16 miles of double track, but that has dropped to nine. "I would have to say that the overcrowding and demand does not come as a surprise to the CBR," says Walton. "We said this would be the case and repeated it. Operationally, the optimum would have been to make it a double track railway for its whole length."

Spaven agrees: "We've ended up with far too many incidents of overcrowding and unreliability, which may well put off people from travelling in the future."

Verster argues that the Borders line is no different to other across the UK (United Kingdom), which have "seen a decade of unprecedented growth in railway passengers". This, he accepts, generates some significant long-term challenges.

So, how can some of the pressure be alleviated? Extending double track on an operational line is difficult, so Spaven thinks there is room for manoeuvre in the type of train being used; currently the line is served by Class 158s. "I think they [the powers that be] should be aiming to deploy trains that are better suited to the line, the likes of the Class 170s, which are much superior trains," says Spaven.

Nevertheless, such demand does prove the necessity of the Borders Railway. But, that by no means implies that campaigners, such as Walton and Spaven, are sitting still.

"Our campaign motto has always been the reinstatement of the whole Waverley route mainline between Edinburgh, Midlothian, the Borders, and Carlisle," says Walton.

While such an aim may be years from fruition, the momentum, and belief, is now sweeping through the Scottish Borders once more.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2015, 21:55:49 »

Re:CfN's post above, I note a repeat of the complaint that the services on the re-opened line are often full and standing and that a double track would have obviated that. On paper that may well be true, but there is not the rolling stock currently available even if the infrastructure could support it. Thus once again, demand is suppressed as no doubt some will be put off using the trains and we will never know whether with more capital input, for the same on-going subsidy, more people could benefit.  Everything is so parsimonious in the UK (United Kingdom) it seems.

I only know of one re-opened service that has really not worked (Swanline - stopping service between Cardiff and Swansea) the others being a tremendous success.  I am still convinced that when it eventually arrives, Portishead will surprise many with it success, even with its amended station site, although I'm not sure that it will be a regular steam excursion destination!

I also note from the Railway Magazine that the infrastructure workers are complaining about the human waste discharged onto their nice new track from the steam trains hauling stock without retention toilets.  I don't blame them, but it goes top show that while we are all excited about electrification and new lines, some basics are still very much an inconvenience.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2015, 22:07:31 »

Indeed - and, going off at a bit of a tangent:

Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:36 »

Re:CfN's post above, I note a repeat of the complaint that the services on the re-opened line are often full and standing and that a double track would have obviated that.

More carriages or a redistribution of passengers away from peak trains to non-peak trains are what's "needed" if we're technical about it.   That could be longer trains (which probably don't need double tracking) or more trains (which would need a movement towards double tracking).    Longer trains would only be marginally slower that the current ones (take longer to go over restricted speed locations) and you have potential issues about loading people along the train.  The argument for more trains of the same length as at present could come from extra traffic generated by increasing the frequency; I'm not aware of local conditions on this line, but from what I understand from seeing it only on paper, I would suspect that a 15 or 20 minute service would not result in a huge further surge in use beyond what you would get with longer trains every 30 minutes.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: