17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 23:28:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticket office run by an agent  (Read 4293 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2009, 19:04:51 »

I came across this whilst Googling for something else.

I've seen that Pembrey Station's ticket office is run by an agent: http://www.pembreystation.co.uk rather than directly by Arriva Trains Wales.

I was just wondering how they operate?  Are they simply an ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) travel agent or do they just have a machine given to them by ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))?

Also, are there any other stations that have this sort of arrangement?  Its not something I've ever seen before, but seems like an incredibly good idea.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 19:26:18 »

not too unusual

St Ives (Cornwall) has a private travel agent adjacent to the platform
Looe has the Devon & Cornwall Railpartnership people in an office on the platform during the summer
both have a Tribute ticket system

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 19:50:10 »

Add Llandrindod Wells, Chester-le-Street, Gobowen and Ledbury to the list as well!

Good to see that Pembrey has been taken over by a new station agent, I thought it was now a booking office run by ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))). I used to buy tickets from the previous station agent over the phone regularly because he always used to offer a great service and go the extra mile to help you save money with your travel plans. I'll have to give the current operators a try now!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:30:56 »

Didn't there used to be a sign at Dilton Marsh which pointed potential passengers to a private cottage (or shop) down the lane where tickets could be purchased?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 09:11:41 »

And Ludlow - and a more helpful ticket office I've never come across.

I don't know if it makes much difference to their profits etc but I often buy seasons/other tickets for journeys other than to/from ludlow if I'm there when it open

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 16:56:12 »

May well help them out quite a bit, since the sales commission on tickets is about 9% from memory.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 19:11:39 »

May well help them out quite a bit, since the sales commission on tickets is about 9% from memory.

That's an interesting piece of the 'jigsaw'.   On the other side of the coin, the equipment to issue tickets and ancilliary costs is somewhere in four figures - I'm not exactly sure how much it's up in the four figures, and what part of that is one off costs v annual charges.   

I've had a very interesting discussion about the possibility of rail tickets being sold somewhere in Melksham, with someone who has looked into it in detail.   Conclusion was that with the pathetic service we have at present, it's not viable but it could be if we had a service that attracted (say) 30,000 round trips journeys originating at Melksham each year where people bought tickets at a cafe at the station, average ticket price 12 pounds return. Income 360k; commission 33k; take off 4k for operating costs and you have a chunk of money which could fund part of a person for the long opening hours that would be needed ... not quite a "7 - 11" coffee shop but more a "6 - 8" coffee shop, two shifts per day ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 19:21:49 »

That's an interesting piece of the 'jigsaw'.   On the other side of the coin, the equipment to issue tickets and ancilliary costs is somewhere in four figures - I'm not exactly sure how much it's up in the four figures, and what part of that is one off costs v annual charges.   

I've had a very interesting discussion about the possibility of rail tickets being sold somewhere in Melksham, with someone who has looked into it in detail.   Conclusion was that with the pathetic service we have at present, it's not viable but it could be if we had a service that attracted (say) 30,000 round trips journeys originating at Melksham each year where people bought tickets at a cafe at the station, average ticket price 12 pounds return. Income 360k; commission 33k; take off 4k for operating costs and you have a chunk of money which could fund part of a person for the long opening hours that would be needed ... not quite a "7 - 11" coffee shop but more a "6 - 8" coffee shop, two shifts per day ...

Put my name down for the job. I know me tickets and I can work one of those coffee machine jobbies. Dab hand at bacon butties as well...... Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 20:01:06 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

The last figure I saw for the cost of purchase and installation of a Scheidt & Bachmann (I do love typing that!) machine was ^20,000.  On the other hand: how much would it cost to provide a local agent with just an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine?  After all, that's what our local chap in the cabin at Nailsea uses!

C.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 23:07:52 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

The last figure I saw for the cost of purchase and installation of a Scheidt & Bachmann (I do love typing that!) machine was ^20,000.  On the other hand: how much would it cost to provide a local agent with just an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine?  After all, that's what our local chap in the cabin at Nailsea uses!

C.  Grin

At the risk of falling foul of the forum rules (I'll censor), I'm now going to refer to these TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) as Sh*te & Cr*p, man.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 20:13:59 »

Very interesting replies - I never realised this was so widespread.

Only yesterday did I discover that Ryde Pier Head ticket office is run by Wightlink rather than SWT (South West Trains)/Island Line.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 00:15:56 »

Only yesterday did I discover that Ryde Pier Head ticket office is run by Wightlink rather than SWT (South West Trains)/Island Line.
has been for ages, Rydel Esplanade is run by ILT though (Island Line Trains) as they call themselves now, is nice to see that SWT have allowed the islands trains to retain a seperate identity, about time the 1938 stock was replaced though!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 12:19:56 »

has been for ages, Rydel Esplanade is run by ILT though (Island Line Trains) as they call themselves now, is nice to see that SWT have allowed the islands trains to retain a seperate identity, about time the 1938 stock was replaced though!

Victoria line stock is being disposed of soon. Would be new for the Island Line, only 42 years old.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 14:56:37 »

I made my first purchase from The Ticket Hut at Pembrey a few days ago.  Very impressed with the service from Louise at the station.

Emailed a general enquiry to test the water.  Came back quickly so I sent a list of requirements (a rover plus some seats) plus my phone number.  Called back next day to take payment and confirm price.  Tickets arrived the following morning.

As a moderate fares geek, the comment "this is probably one of the least stressful ticket sales we've ever had" actually put a smile on my face!

Overall the experience was much easier than dealing with a call centre.  The ability to email them allowed me to forward specific dates/times without worrying about getting them wrong on the phone or holding up other customers in the shop.  I will certainly be using them again when I've got the next batch of dates confirmed and for any non-standard purchases in the future.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: