17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 23:02:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plusbus  (Read 6118 times)
basset44

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2009, 13:03:48 »

Hi All,

I have a season ticket for travel between Trefforest and Cardiff and yesterday I needed to use the bus in Cardiff. So I looked at the plusbus site and thought I ask at the station about buying a Ticket.

The person at the Trefforest did not know if I could just buy the ticket and suggested I checked at Cardiff and when I arrived at Cardiff there was a queue so i thought I know where I could get the answer?

1 If you have a season ticket for travel from A to B can you buy a plubus ticket?

2 Are plusbus tickets only valid for destination or could you buy a ticket say from Cardiff to Bristol with plusbus valid at both destination's ?

Thanks

Basset
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 16:59:48 »

1. Yes - all you need to do to buy a PlusBus ticket at your destination is show your valid rail ticket to the booking office, then they will sell you the additional ticket (which will say, for eaxmple, from "Oxford" to "Oxford+Bus"). You can buy a season ticket that includes PlusBus if you use it every day, or just buy a day PlusBus ticket on odd occasions if that suits you better.

2. You can buy PlusBus at both origin and destination. The problem is that a bit of planning is required since PlusBus tickets are only available from stations in conjunction with a rail ticket, and are NOT available from bus drivers. So to take your example you could purchase a ticket from Cardiff+bus to Bristol+Bus and have the use of buses at both ends of the journey.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 19:14:45 »

Thanks Inspector_Blakey,

Its best to know the facts, armed with this information I will ask for a Cardiff Plusbus next time I go to use the bus.

I will also try buying Cardiff+Bus to Bristol+Bus

Basset
PTF62

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:43:21 »

Plusbus has always struck me as one of those things that is a damned good idea, but completely let down by implementation.

As mentioned earlier, you can buy a Plusbus ticket to take you to the station, but you have to go to the station to buy it? OK if you are regular traveler and plan ahead, but utterly useless for the occasional traveler. Would it be possible to design a more stupid system?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 22:32:21 by PTF62 » Logged
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 13:14:26 »

It's also problematic that Plusbus also seems to only operate in Urban areas. A lost opporunity if I'm honest as people in rural areas could benefit just as much, if not more from a Plusnbus scheme yet do not have access to one
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 13:19:40 »

It's also problematic that Plusbus also seems to only operate in Urban areas. A lost opporunity if I'm honest as people in rural areas could benefit just as much, if not more from a Plusnbus scheme yet do not have access to one
I agree.  I regularly travel to Cosham station, which is outside Portsmouth.  The only Plusbus tickets available are Portsmouth & Southsea + Bus or Portsmouth Harbour + Bus.  The Plusbus zone on both of these tickets includes Cosham station but there is no Cosham + Bus available.  The area in which the ticket can be used is also too small as it only covers Portsea Island and none of the outskirts.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 15:33:17 »

you can buy plus bus seasons aswell, i.e. turo to truro+bus
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 16:34:09 »

I agree.  I regularly travel to Cosham station, which is outside Portsmouth.  The only Plusbus tickets available are Portsmouth & Southsea + Bus or Portsmouth Harbour + Bus.  The Plusbus zone on both of these tickets includes Cosham station but there is no Cosham + Bus available.  The area in which the ticket can be used is also too small as it only covers Portsea Island and none of the outskirts.

According to the plusbus site, the 'Portsmouth plusbus area' can't really go any further east or west, because it comes up against Havant or Fareham plusbus areas. We were discussing this a week or so back in the SWT (South West Trains) yahoo group, where exactly the same problem exists that you can't get a Portchester plusbus, as it is part of the Fareham area, as is Swanwick.  I can only assume as the areas get bigger, the bus company (or bus companies) in the locality would want the plusbus price to rise?

Difficult to see what the answer to this is, but making either adjacent area available (at somewhere like Portchester which appears to be on the boundary) could make sense though. Our earlier discussion suggested the Portsmouth area is also available at Fratton, so can't see any major issues with Portsmouth being available at Cosham as well?

What I do suspect, is that this is entirely a 'bus product', and the availability is purely down to the bus company(ies) in an area. As far as I can see the values of sales, and therefore any commision due, are probably an irrelevance to most TOCs (Train Operating Company) in comparison to rail tickets, so any improvements to availability would need to be addressed towards the bus companies...

Paul
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 16:39:12 by paul7755 » Logged
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 16:54:22 »

I wonder what the maximum number of stations within a single plusbus area is ... Falmouth has four - FAL, FMT, PNM and PYN.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 17:07:30 »

Exeter has eight - St Davids, Central, St Thomas, St James Park, Polsloe Bridge, Digby and Sowton, Topsham and Pinhoe.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:17:14 »

I regularly travel to Cosham station, which is outside Portsmouth.

I regularly travel from Cosham, so our paths have probably crossed on a number of occasions  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 10:31:16 »

From my experience obtaining a PlusBus even on First Class tickets has never been too much of a hassle, even at the destination station... However it's a shame that can't be said for the Freedom Pass... Angry

When I got on the #73 In Bristol, I wanted a Freedom Pass Ticket to use in Bath as well as Bristol, however the driver had absolutely no clue what I was on about and let me travel ticketless Shocked down to the centre of Bristol and said I could probably buy the ticket on the #8/9 (that could have been interesting to explain to an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) Tongue )

I did get the #8 and the bus driver had a vague idea of what I wanted and sold me a Freedom Pass... trouble was, he only sold me the Bristol Zone Only ticket... But I don't know what was more worrying, the fact I only noticed after I completed my Journey in Bath, or the fact that an FGW (First Great Western) Ticket Collector, Gateline Assistant and 3 Bus Drivers failed to also notice that I didn't have a valid ticket... Shocked Lips sealed

Now by saying this i'm not encouraging not having a valid ticket, as if somebody had pointed it out to me, I would have been more than happy to pay the excess, and to this day I probably wouldn't have noticed until my friend pointed out to me on the ticket that it said Bristol Zone Only...! When we then checked the First Group website, the price I had paid was indeed a Bristol Zone Only ticket... Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:03:24 »

Plusbus has always struck me as one of those things that is a damned good idea, but completely let down by implementation.

It is better than nothing, but the real challenger for proper integration would be to get the timetables sorted so that buses and trains connect.  Integratingteh fares is the easy bit and makes it slightly easier and cheaper for those who already use teh services but integrating timetables woudl be teh thing to attract new users
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 22:45:24 »

Makes a great deal of sense if the bus frequency and train frequency are the same, and both tending to the low end of the scale, eg 1 or 2 bus or train per hour max.

Take Fareham as an example - 5 tph off peak each way at a through station, so 10 tph as far as arrivals and departures are concerned. So little point in coordination, esp if you are only trying to get to the town centre, which is a fair walk if elderly or a pushchair or luggage is involved, as buses pass reasonably frequently.

But my rural area north of Fareham only has one bus per hour, so although it (The 69 - Winchester Rly Stn -  Fareham Rly Stn via Bishops Waltham) does go to two main stations  - there is no point in coordinating it with any of the trains, at either end of its route.

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 23:25:08 »

Only being able to buy PlusBus tickets at stations with a rail ticket and not on buses is an irritation, but actually quite logical when you think about it. After all, it can technically only be bought in conjunction with a valid rail ticket - in many cases the tickets are so cheap compared to a local bus "day rover" (in fact, in Oxford the PlusBus ticket used to cost me less than a single bus ticket home from the station, so I used it all the time!) that there would no doubt be plenty of people "abusing" the system by purchasing the ticket when they had no intention of making a rail journey.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: