13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
Delayed
08:34 Didcot Parkway to Banbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 14:42 from Filton Abbey Wood to Taunton 13th Nov 2009  (Read 8124 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 20:33:13 »

Is loco hauled stock allowed in service between Southampton and Fareham nowadays?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the 'Footex HST (High Speed Train)' had to run via Eastleigh earlier this year, because it wasn't allowed over the River Hamble bridge? 

Edit: There are speed restrictions of 15 mph at the Hamble for most locos except 31s.  Also all locos prohibited from Portsmouth Harbour platform 1 & 3...

Paul
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 20:44:40 by paul7755 » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 20:36:01 »

Let's face it, when XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have taken off buffets, and FGW (First Great Western) came very close to removing buffet cars on many of its services, the chances of a buffet car on Cardiff - Portsmouth are non-existent.

I agree that the current loco-hauled services may provide a better ambience on the route, but I suspect that FGW have deliberately not put them onto such services, so as not to raise expectations given they are just a stop gap measure.

The real problem here is that the new dmu order was canned. I have long held the suspicion that it was announced in such a hurry that it was soon realised that there were too many issues that had not been thhought through for it to proceed. So the electrification announcement was a convenient opportunity to backpedal and cancel it.  
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 20:33:24 »

Let's face it, when XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have taken off buffets, and FGW (First Great Western) came very close to removing buffet cars on many of its services, the chances of a buffet car on Cardiff - Portsmouth are non-existent.

I agree that the current loco-hauled services may provide a better ambience on the route, but I suspect that FGW have deliberately not put them onto such services, so as not to raise expectations given they are just a stop gap measure.

Not quite correct. CDF» (Cardiff - next trains)-TAU» (Taunton - next trains) was chosen as it is a nice staight run on one Network Rail zone with no issues regarding 22.5 tonne axleload 67's being run on the route. No reversal at Temple Meads required either.

The FGW 'West' drivers are not currently trained on loco's / LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) and they never will be. Not much point training them up or contempating any extensions of Loco Haulage, it will all be gone by December 2010 once sufficient 150's are available.

Trundling gently round the SW
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 20:08:32 »

Another advantage is that Taunton - Bristol is 100mph plus 110mph Highbridge-WSM. If the 67s are cleared for 100+ running (I don't actually know if they do) they've got this (small) advantage over 90mph units. Severn Tunnel - Cardiff is largely 95mph as well I believe.

In comparison Cardiff - Portsmouth has only the 95mph stretch plus Bristol - Bath at 100mph for any 90+ running. I think Bath-Westbury is 70mph, Warminster - Salisbury 75mph, Salisbury - Southampton 85mph and Southampton - Portsmouth 70mph at best, with lots of speed restrictions. In other words, Class 67s + mkIIs might be more comfy, but with slower acceleration you'd have an even longer journey.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 20:39:41 »

Interesting to read the comments about the number of coaches used Cardiff - Portsmouth.

I got a book from the library on Saturday of "Hampshire Railways". 
There are 5 photos in this book of Cardiff - Portsmouth trains, all around mid 50s, where the number of coaches can be identified. The loco in all cases is a Class 4 2-6-0: one with 6 coaches, two with 7 and 2 with 9. Yet we are now told that more people than ever are travelling by train - in 3 car 158s !

There can't be many stations on that route that could cope with a 9 coach train, even at Westbury arriving on a 2 + 8 HST (High Speed Train) they now describe it as a "short platform", Platform 4 at Salisbury springs to mind as the only long one - and Temple Meads.
I wonder how they stopped passengers falling to their deaths at places like Dilton Marsh - 'elf & safety certainly wouldn't allow that nowadays.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 20:47:56 »

Trains used to run non stop from Bath to Salisbury as recently as the early eighties, so maybe short platforms weren't an issue for the trains shown.   
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 05:05:38 »

The loco in all cases is a Class 4 2-6-0: one with 6 coaches, two with 7 and 2 with 9. Yet we are now told that more people than ever are travelling by train - in 3 car 158s !

I could easily believe that - by and large train frequencies are higher now, each car of a 158 seats more people than a mark I, and finally I'd bet good money that those 6-, 7- and 9-car trains were carting round a great deal of the proverbial "fresh air".
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:40 »

I could easily believe that............. - each car of a 158 seats more people than a mark I............

Going on leg room - "I could easily believe that" too !
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 15:07:14 »

I wonder how they stopped passengers falling to their deaths at places like Dilton Marsh - 'elf & safety certainly wouldn't allow that nowadays.

The platforms at Dilton Marsh were longer in the past.

I remember that platform replacement took place in the 90's (the alternative being closure, as happened at Radipole, for example, in the 80's)

The new platform that they first put in got nicked, if I recall correctly...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 17:05:20 »

The new platform that they first put in got nicked, if I recall correctly...

"This train has been revised. It will no longer call at Dilton Marsh"     Grin Grin
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 20:17:07 »

Another advantage is that Taunton - Bristol is 100mph plus 110mph Highbridge-WSM. If the 67s are cleared for 100+ running (I don't actually know if they do) they've got this (small) advantage over 90mph units. Severn Tunnel - Cardiff is largely 95mph as well I believe.

I don't think the 67's and LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) are permitted to run at the HST (High Speed Train) speeds between STJ (Severn Tunnel Junction railway station) and Cardiff. Think its only 170, 175, 180 and HST authorised for the higher speeds. FGW (First Great Western) 158's run at 75mph max, and there is no increase in speed as a result of Newport S1a being commisioned over the Xmas period.

Haven't ever travelled on the 67 hauled set so no actual knowledge of what sort of sppeds it actually achieves in service.

Trundling gently round the SW
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 20:25:37 »

It gets the relief lines into Cardiff anyway. It reaches 100mph between Highbridge and Taunton.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 18:54:27 »

What? All the way from Newport? Why would any services be booked for the 40mph relief lines? I'm intrigued.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 19:51:18 »

Put it this way, they are overtaken by the following HST (High Speed Train) meaning it is quicker to get a later train at Newport.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 20:16:57 »

Put it this way, they are overtaken by the following HST (High Speed Train) meaning it is quicker to get a later train at Newport.

but does the loco hauled set actually have different timings to the services ran by dmu's
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: