Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 03:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 03:19:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Car parking at Nailsea & Backwell station  (Read 41504 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:18 »

I have definitely seen a vehicle ticketed at Chippenham Station Car Park Number One for parking at the end of a row, outside of the marked bays. On more than one occasion, in fact. You're right about the Network Rail vans though: they do seem to be able to park wherever they like.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 10:22:05 »

I have definitely seen a vehicle ticketed at Chippenham Station Car Park Number One for parking at the end of a row, outside of the marked bays. On more than one occasion, in fact. You're right about the Network Rail vans though: they do seem to be able to park wherever they like.

I got a polite note on my car in NSE (Network South East) days for parking outside a marked bay in Slough West car park, the old shed site. I don't know whether they subsequently fined people. because it was a one off, as my usual commute was walking to Taplow.

However, this whole thread just illustrates another case on "non joined up government" I presumme the D(a)fT wants people to commute from Nailsea rather than driving their cars into Bristol. I also presumme that most people aren't able to catch a bus to the station due to lack of services so have to drive.

In a sensible world you would think that increasing carparking  capacity, if that's possible, and/or improving bus services integrated with the train service would be benficial.

Now this is where a tame "bean counter" could do some usuful work in working out the benefits of several hundred cars not entering Bristol compared with the cost of extra parking at Nailsea. The local council could then issue 7% 25 year bonds to fund the work. In the current climate thay would be snapped up and would probaly sell at a premimium.

Or is that a pig I've just seen flying past?

TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 12:22:45 »

Another quick update from me:

I understand that the lines around the 'authorised' parking spaces in the station car park are to be repainted (and apparently, some spaces which were not 'officially' recognised in the past, but where commuters have now established the precendent of parking there, will now be included)!

And just as an aside ... is anyone aware of any fines actually being imposed, for anyone parking outside the current 'official' bays?  (This includes the Network Rail vans that persistently park on the double yellow lines in the turning bay, by the way!)  If not, what was the point of putting up all those cheery notices about ^70 fines being imposed???  Angry

Good news! As I was waiting for the 0846 this morning, low and behold, workmen turned up to start work on the car park!  Grin

According to the notices that have gone up, they will be remarking the existing parking spaces plus converting the "redundant" vegetation and paved areas to provide some more spaces! They also plan to provide more cycle spaces.

There was also a warning on the notice that once the work is complete, no one should park outside of bay. It did seem to imply that they will start issuing tickets for illegal parking.

TLM
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 16:59:01 »

http://www.thewestonmercury.co.uk/content/twm/news/story.aspx?brand=Westonmercury&category=newsNorthSomerset&tBrand=westonmercury&tCategory=znews&itemid=WeED17+Nov+2009+16%3A29%3A39%3A897

There's no doubt that the existing car park is inadequate, but adding 200 spaces to the existing 112 seems a bit like overkill to me. If they all get used that'll put some pressure on the 0828.

^700k for 200 spaces is ^3500 per space. So expect to see charges introduced to cover the cost (which will reduce demand of course, so the spaces may not be required after all). 
clevedonian

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 18:15:17 »

about time aswell, if it stays free i am sure a lot of people will travel from Yatton to park there. As you say though they will need to pay for it!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 01:04:15 »

On the other hand: we could then perhaps re-brand our station as Portishead Parkway?  Roll Eyes

Especially when after about 10 am your choice is block te pick up road or risk the disabled space

:-)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 21:13:57 »

I understand that car parking charges at Nailsea & Backwell are now actually being applied - as explained on the North Somerset Council notices:

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 22:08:52 »

Yes they are - and I got done last week - as I've posted here before - I did park in the disabled bays however:

If you look at what is listed as the possible fines - not parking in a bay and parking a prohibted vehicle - mine was neither of these

No where does it state that parking in a space with a yellow symbol on it is an offence .  In fact, my ticket has hand written offence written on it as they can't find anything on the form to tick!  The hand writing says "parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge" - but if you read the notice, where does it say that is an offence

So, whether I should have been parked there or not, I will be appealing it since I don't think legally they have a leg to stand on

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:32 »

I believe parking in a council run disabled space is an offence under the Road Traffic Regulations 1984, sections 35(1) and 35A.  Have a read of 35(1) as you may be able to "get out" of the ticket this way.

Note this doesn't apply to private car parks.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 09:29:26 »

Such an offence would need to be specified in the relevant Off Street Parking Order drawn up by the Council. I can't see anything in the most recent published order that specifies an excess charge for parking in a disabled bay when not entitled. I believe also that the Council has to make users of the car park aware of all the possible contraventions they can be 'charged' for. So whilst it may be morally questionable, I think legally, Mookiemoo has a defence against the Penalty Charge Notice.

Station Road, Nailsea is listed on the most recent Order as are the offences you can be excess charged for. Parking in a disabled bay when not entitled is not one of the offences listed.

(Network Rail - home page)/rdonlyres/D9AC2318-7FA9-4854-AFB8-C58CD92A4578/0/VariationToCarParkingOrder_0111.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D9AC2318-7FA9-4854-AFB8-C58CD92A4578/0/VariationToCarParkingOrder_0111.pdf

As always..... IANAL ('I am not a lawyer'.).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:36:39 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 12:09:38 »

I wouldn't appeal purely out of shame of parking in a Disabled bay with no need to do so  Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 20:13:37 »

From the Somerset Post:

Railway station set to introduce car parking charges

Commuters using Nailsea and Backwell railway station will soon have to pay ^1.50 a day to park their cars to catch the train.

North Somerset Council is planning to spend ^700,000 on expanding the car park at Station Road, which is currently free, by a further 183 spaces.

The scheme will see the number of parking spaces available increase from 120 to 303, and changed to pay and display.

The introduction of parking fees will fund the ^700,000 scheme and cover operating costs.

The land has already been purchased by the district council and work could start this year to tie-in with ^1million Department of Transport improvements to the platform access ramps.

Season tickets will be offered for regular travellers at ^300 per year or ^90 per quarter with off-peak travellers ^ after 10am and at weekends ^ paying ^1.

Money for the capital costs will be borrowed and paid back over 25 years at ^57,178 per year.

The council is predicting 55 per cent car park occupancy in the first year rising to an average of 61 per cent during the loan period.

The report to the executive said: ^An appropriate level of charge may help encourage those living nearby to walk or cycle and those living further away to car share or catch the bus. The availability of spaces would then improve for other users and make the rail option more attractive.^

Work on the car park expansion is expected to be completed by 2015.

Nailsea Town Council, First Great Western and local environmental groups are in favour of the scheme.

Currently the car park is full by 7.30am on weekdays, deterring people from using the train for their regular commute to work as well as leaving no space for travellers who wish to travel off peak.

The lack of car parking also results in many people parking in adjoining residential streets and in the nearby lake car park.

Nailsea Town Council clerk Ian Morrell said: ^The town council has long supported the extension of the car park at the station. However, there have been no discussions about charges and any implementation of charges at the station car park should be completely unconnected any proposed at the town centre which we continue to strongly oppose.^

North Somerset has been considering introducing fees at all council-owned car parks in Clevedon, Nailsea and Portishead ^ a move strongly resisted by local businesses.

The cash-strapped authority has already given approval to a scheme to install parking meters on 28 streets in the Weston-super-Mare centre where people will have to pay ^1.20 an hour six days a week to park.

It will cost 40 pence for 20 minutes and then 20 pence for each subsequent ten minute period ^ with a maximum two-hour stay.

Council chiefs say the move to introduce the parking meters is necessary to regulate parking in the town and follows concerns from traders, shoppers and residents that motorists are flouting existing parking restrictions by leaving cars in timed bays for longer than they are allowed.

The authority is now looking at expanding the use of on-street parking metres to other towns across the district.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 20:51:23 »

Fair enough, I suppose. Not too dear, and being used to pay for the extra spaces.

Now, please!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40:04 »

I don't think i've ever paid to park in Weston-super-mud. Tesco seems happy to allow me to park!

Still, cheap parking at Nailsea, similar to Yatton. Only seems fair!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 20:22:31 »

From the Nailsea People:

Rail commuters could be charged for parking in Backwell side roads

Backwell parish councillors want commuters charged for clogging up village roads.

Train travellers warned not to leave their cars in Backwell side roads

The councilors are calling for parking restrictions to be introduced on residential roads around Nailsea and Backwell railway station ahead of the introduction of a new charging scheme.

North Somerset Council is planning to spend ^700,000 on expanding Nailsea and Backwell station car park by a further 183 spaces. But there is a price to pay as although the scheme will see the number of parking spaces increase from 120 to 303 they will all become pay and display.

The introduction of parking fees will fund the scheme and cover operating costs. But parish councillors can't wait and are calling on highways chiefs to look at introducing restrictions on nearby roads now.

They say roads including Moor Lane, Waverley Road and Amberlands Close are already regularly gridlocked by travellers leaving their cars to catch the train and the problem will only get worse when people have to pay to park.

Parish leaders are calling for a meeting with the district council highways department  to look at what measures could be introduced to stop on street parking.

Backwell Parish Council chairman Bob Taylor said: "We already have a problem with parking on residential roads around the station and this will only get worse when the charges are introduced. People already drive from Yatton to avoid the parking charges there and when they find the car park in Backwell is full, they just use the side roads.

"Motorists park right up to the junctions, which is very dangerous and often these residential roads are turned into single lane carriageways as a result. It is an accident waiting to happen. The issue needs to be looked at now ahead of the charges being introduced."

A number of measures have already been suggested, including the introduction of a residents' parking scheme on the affected roads and new road markings warning people not to park,

Mr Taylor added: "We could not go as far as considering double yellow lines on these roads because ultimately someone would have to enforce them, North Somerset initially said it would monitor the situation when the work is done to the station car park. But the surrounding roads are already chock a block with cars and measures need to be put in place now."

The land for the car park expansion has already been purchased by the district council and work is due to start next year.

Season tickets will be offered for regular travellers at ^300 per year or ^90 per quarter with off-peak travellers - after 10am and at weekends - paying ^1. People parking before 10am will have to pay ^1.50 a day.

Money for the capital costs will be borrowed and paid back over 25 years at ^57,178 per year.

Work on the car park expansion is expected to be completed by 2015.

Currently the car park is full by 7.30am on weekdays, deterring people from using the train for their regular commute to work as well as leaving no space for travellers who wish to travel off peak.   

Many commuters have returned to their vehicles are the end of the day to find residents have left rude notes under the windscreen wipers suggesting they park eslewhere.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: