12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
14:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 14:00:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus vs Train vs Walking  (Read 6837 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2009, 19:28:37 »

Always a dilemma.  I arrive at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) on a Sunday evening from Portsmouth, arriving at 16:41 (in theory, anyway!)

Do I get on the bus, wait for the train to Redland (at 17:23) or just walk?

I was travelling with two others today so we decided to see who could get to my home quickest (both bus stop and train station are 2 minutes walk from my flat).

First, the cost.  My bus ticket cost ^1.60, but the train only cost 75p (or ^1.50 without a railcard) and of course the walk was free.

Now the wait.  I was put off the train journey by the length of the wait.  The bus was scheduled to leave at 17:00, which it did but took nearly 7 minutes just to leave the station approach.  We were taken on the usual number 9 tour round town before having to change drivers.  I arrived at the bus stop at 17:35 and arrived home at 17:37.

The train had a longer wait, almost 40 minutes but the journey only took 10 so they were home at roughly the same time as me.

But the walk.  That took less than 45 minutes, so they arrived home at 17:25 - ten minutes quicker than the bus and train.

I think this proves a point.  Walking is far quicker than taking the bus in Bristol!
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 20:13:33 »

Like what has been said in a previous topic, the forecourt of Bristol T.M. needs to be renovated and modernised.  Easier access for buses and taxis in and out needs to be  introduced.

Also, a complete bus lane from Temple Meads to Cabot Circus would be appreciated.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
matt_splatt

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 21:00:29 »

hi all first post been sneeking around recently but fault i would add my views Smiley

any way the issue  at temple meads i feel has been made worse now not only do you have taxis first have invested in new bigger busses on the 8/9 which are going to get stuck more easily at temple meads.

i agree a bus lane from tm to cabbots would be brill not only for the 8 and 9 but park and rides and other services, also some kind of bus priority out of the station would be good. dont no if there would be a way to do this with out causeing traffic on the main road
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 21:15:22 »

Welcome to the forum matt_splatt  Smiley
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 20:01:36 »

Walking is my favoured option in Bristol. Trains aren't too bad as long as one of the stations you want to use is Temple Meads. Getting from say Parson Street - Redland is hopeless by train. Buses are unreasonably priced, unreliable and prone to stopping to admire the beauty of a red traffic light a lot. Cycling is dangerous due to the remarkable incompetence, impatience and ignorance shown by most drivers in Bristol, plus cycle lanes are pretty inconsistent. Shanks pony for me thanks...
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 21:04:27 »

For those who catch busses in Bristol, maybe the U-Link busses may be better alternative than First in certain areas as they are frequent and can be cheaper with a ^3 day ticket or ^2 flat fare for each single (even cheaper with the U-Link Smart card). The busses are generally newer and cleaner as well I find
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 21:08:31 »

Personally, I think that a flyover just down from Temple Meads would improve things greatly  !!  Grin Cheesy Roll Eyes
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 21:13:19 »

For those who catch busses in Bristol, maybe the U-Link busses may be better alternative than First in certain areas as they are frequent and can be cheaper with a ^3 day ticket or ^2 flat fare for each single (even cheaper with the U-Link Smart card). The busses are generally newer and cleaner as well I find
Also the local hospital trust and Bristol University jointly provide a free bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to the various hospitals and main university precinct.  I've never used it so I'm not sure if/how they check that you are eligible to use the service but is certainly free for hospital and university staff.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 21:32:42 »

Walking is my favoured option in Bristol. Trains aren't too bad as long as one of the stations you want to use is Temple Meads. Getting from say Parson Street - Redland is hopeless by train. Buses are unreasonably priced, unreliable and prone to stopping to admire the beauty of a red traffic light a lot. Cycling is dangerous due to the remarkable incompetence, impatience and ignorance shown by most drivers in Bristol, plus cycle lanes are pretty inconsistent. Shanks pony for me thanks...

I wouldn't say getting from Parson St to Redland is hopeless by train. Hourly availability with 15min wait at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). Total journey time between 40-55mins. 80p cheaper for a return than the bus(es). And similar journey times.

And as for your 'most drivers in Bristol' rant...... you never seen an inconsiderate cyclist jumping traffic lights, dangerously weaving in an out of traffic or taking to the the pavement?  And as for pedestrians, some of their actions really get my goat: Moving left then right then left again without signalling just as I attempt to overtake (I'm a quick walker), Stopping dead without notice, gathering in groups to totally block your path. Crossing the road 25yds away from a Pelican crossing. Incompetence, impatience and ignorance are not the exclusive preserve of drivers...... Roll Eyes Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
matt_splatt

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 21:47:22 »

Also the local hospital trust and Bristol University jointly provide a free bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to the various hospitals and main university precinct.  I've never used it so I'm not sure if/how they check that you are eligible to use the service but is certainly free for hospital and university staff.

i think its just a turn up and get on bus. the Ulink is good but i would recomend the ABUS 57 from the main road ^1 single to town
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 22:29:57 »

I wouldn't say getting from Parson St to Redland is hopeless by train. Hourly availability with 15min wait at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). Total journey time between 40-55mins. 80p cheaper for a return than the bus(es). And similar journey times.

And as for your 'most drivers in Bristol' rant...... you never seen an inconsiderate cyclist jumping traffic lights, dangerously weaving in an out of traffic or taking to the the pavement?  And as for pedestrians, some of their actions really get my goat: Moving left then right then left again without signalling just as I attempt to overtake (I'm a quick walker), Stopping dead without notice, gathering in groups to totally block your path. Crossing the road 25yds away from a Pelican crossing. Incompetence, impatience and ignorance are not the exclusive preserve of drivers...... Roll Eyes Tongue

To be fair I should have said weekday evenings or Sundays are when I might want to go from Parson Street to Redland - and as the timetable is more irregular at that time it never suits me well.

I take your point about pedestrians and cyclists, but the difference is a moronic pedestrian or cyclist is largely a danger to themselves. A moronic driver has a ton of metal with which they can do some serious damage. The thing that really drives me mad is drivers who can't indicate when changing direction - I'm not a mind reader. It's not hard to flick a switch.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 22:56:33 »

To be fair I should have said weekday evenings or Sundays are when I might want to go from Parson Street to Redland - and as the timetable is more irregular at that time it never suits me well.

I take your point about pedestrians and cyclists, but the difference is a moronic pedestrian or cyclist is largely a danger to themselves. A moronic driver has a ton of metal with which they can do some serious damage. The thing that really drives me mad is drivers who can't indicate when changing direction - I'm not a mind reader. It's not hard to flick a switch.

Well actually - it depends on the angle of the turn

There are a few r'bouts I go round where I cannot keep the turn signal on

because the angle needed to steer the r'bout is exactly the one that auto turns off the signal!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 22:59:41 »

Quote from: BruceyBonus
Also the local hospital trust and Bristol University jointly provide a free bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to the various hospitals and main university precinct.  I've never used it so I'm not sure if/how they check that you are eligible to use the service but is certainly free for hospital and university staff.

Bad news.  All the staff and students have ID cards.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 23:36:27 »

Quote from: BruceyBonus
Also the local hospital trust and Bristol University jointly provide a free bus service from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to the various hospitals and main university precinct.  I've never used it so I'm not sure if/how they check that you are eligible to use the service but is certainly free for hospital and university staff.

Bad news.  All the staff and students have ID cards.

The UHBT free bus is available to patients and visitors to the hospitals and visitors to the University of Bristol. So just say you are visiting!

http://www.uhbristol.nhs.uk/files/nhs-ubht/HospitalAndUniversityBusShuttleTimetableMay09.pdf

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 16:29:39 »

Well actually - it depends on the angle of the turn

There are a few r'bouts I go round where I cannot keep the turn signal on

because the angle needed to steer the r'bout is exactly the one that auto turns off the signal!

Re-indicate? Or just keep you hand on the indicator and drive with one hand on the wheel - sorry I shouldn't encourage bad driving standards!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: