Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 01:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 02:09:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tough on Long Distant Commuters returning after Bank Holiday Weekend  (Read 4374 times)
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:40:02 »

Just a few of the service disruptions this morning Tuesday 28/08/2007 for early morning long distance commuters returning after the long sun blessed weekend. Enough to take the shin off the tan.

06:09 Abergavenny to London Paddington due 09:44
This train will be started from Worcester Shrub Hill. It will no longer call at: Abergavenny, Hereford, Ledbury, Colwall, Great Malvern, Malvern Link and Worcester Foregate Street.

06:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 07:41
This train has been cancelled.

05:40 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington due 07:52
This train has been cancelled. This is due to a train fault.

05:22 Plymouth to London Paddington due 09:41
This train will be started from Exeter St Davids. It will no longer call at: Plymouth, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Teignmouth and Dawlish.

Scooby

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 12:04:31 »

The day goes on, the same as any other:

10:02 Cheltenham Spa to Taunton due 12:14
This train has been revised. It will no longer call at: Nailsea & Backwell, Yatton, Worle and Weston-Super-Mare.

14:04 Reading to Redhill due 15:25

14:05 Oxford to London Paddington due 14:58

12:52 London Paddington to Oxford due 13:47

12:05 Oxford to London Paddington due 13:01

08:50 Exmouth to Penzance due 12:22
This train will be terminated at Plymouth. It will no longer call at: Saltash, Liskeard, Bodmin Parkway, Par, St Austell, Truro, Redruth, St Erth and Penzance.

Oh well, back to work, Bank Holiday Monday was the normal totally unorganised shambles on the rails, why they have a 'planning' department is beyond anyone, as they dont live up to their name....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:12:18 »

At 05:39, FGW (First Great Western) emailed me a performance bulletin that stated:

"""05:22 Plymouth to Paddington will be started from Exeter St Davids.

05:40 Cheltenham Spa to Paddington has been cancelled.

05:57 Gatwick Airport to Reading will terminate at Redhill."""

At 07:22, FGW emailed me a performance bulletin that stated:

"""First Great Western expect to operate the full advertised service on all routes this morning. There are currently no infrastructure or fleet problems affecting our services."""

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 13:24:31 »

At 05:39, FGW (First Great Western) emailed me a performance bulletin that stated:

"""05:22 Plymouth to Paddington will be started from Exeter St Davids.

05:40 Cheltenham Spa to Paddington has been cancelled.

05:57 Gatwick Airport to Reading will terminate at Redhill."""

At 07:22, FGW emailed me a performance bulletin that stated:

"""First Great Western expect to operate the full advertised service on all routes this morning. There are currently no infrastructure or fleet problems affecting our services."""

I got the same two e-mail bulletins Grahame, strikes me the FGW right hand doesnt know what the FGW left hand is doing.

Perhaps someone with more time to investigate than me could post on this forum what constitutes a breach of franchise or isnt there such a written statement to save DfT» (Department for Transport - about)/FGW embaressment.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 15:37:36 »

Perhaps someone with more time to investigate than me could post on this forum what constitutes a breach of franchise or isnt there such a written statement to save DfT» (Department for Transport - about)/FGW (First Great Western) embaressment.

The link below might come in handy.
http://www.saveseverntunnel.co.uk/issues.htm

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 21:27:10 »

Evening update ;-

Received two e-mails from FGW (First Great Western) this pm.

Timed at 15:40
Date: Tuesday 28 August 2007

Service: Afternoon peak services out of London Paddington and Bristol

Details:

16:15 London Paddington to Bristol Parkway has been cancelled due to an earlier train fault.

No other problems reported.

Timed at 17:14
Date: Tuesday 28 August 2007

Service: Afternoon peak services out of London Paddington and Bristol

Details:

First Great Western expect to operate the full advertised service on all routes this evening. There are currently no infrastructure or fleet problems affecting our services.

But from the FGW service incidents the following cancellations were also noted ;-

15:48 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa due 18:03

16:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 18:10

Porky Pies spring to mind.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:40:02 »

Porky Pies spring to mind.

They do, but I suspect "best current and future information to hand" is the case most of the time.   There are odd times I have suspected that certain cancellations/changes have been known/expected but not admitted, but they're the exception.

Oh - I note this morning No reported problems which I prefer to  First Great Western expect to operate the full advertised service on all routes this morning.  Call me pedantic if you like but, let's face it, with such a large area and as many trains as they have - some of which are unreliable and awaiting refurb -  it's reasonable to expect one or two incidents each morning and a bit head-in-the-sand to ever expect the full advertised service.   Just needs a Pacer door to jam ... again ...  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 10:05:54 »

Hi

Stranded at Reading station yesterday when I found out that the 16:15 to Bristol Parkway was cancelled, and then the 16:30 to Bristol Temple Meads.

The reasons given where different to the texts mentioned earlier.

The 16:15 (BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)) was cancelled because no crew was available
The 16:30 (BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))) was cancelled because of mechanical problems

An ideal opportunity to run a modified  16:15 with the BTM crew? No chance! The 16:45 (Swansea) ran as normal but was SERIOUSLY overcrowded!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 11:10:53 »

Oh - I note this morning No reported problems which I prefer to  First Great Western expect to operate the full advertised service on all routes this morning.

I wouldnt bank on it. From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

12:07 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 14:52
This train has been revised. It will no longer call at: Hungerford, Thatcham and Theale.

Replacement road transport will operate between Hungerford, Thatcham, Theale and Reading.

08:34 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids due 11:14
This train has been revised. It will no longer call at: Theale, Thatcham and Hungerford.

Replacement road transport will operate between Theale, Thatcham, Hungerford and Westbury.

08:44 Weymouth to Cardiff Central due 12:17
This train will be restarted from Yeovil Pen Mill. It will no longer call at: Weymouth, Upwey, Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Chetnole, Yetminster and Thornford. This is due to a train fault.

Replacement road transport will operate between Weymouth , Upwey, Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Chetnole, Yetminster, Thornford, and Westbury.

The last revision reminds me of the following quote from "The Implementation and Likely Effects on Demand of Improved Rail Links in Wessex. (The Yeovil Junction Southern Chord.)" (link below.)
http://www.demandanalysis.co.uk/DorYeo.pdf

"Chetnole, Yetminster and Thornford could not be served adequately by a replacement bus service."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 10:33:21 »

The 0834 Pad-EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) and RTN was caused by a HST (High Speed Train) working it, after apparently the AWS (Automatic Warning System) button fell of on the 180 whilst working the up Frome-London

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: