29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 21:10:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[139] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[120] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[118] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[44] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Sell you a sandwich? Sorry, you might choke, says train steward'  (Read 5716 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 05, 2009, 14:03:16 »

Erm ... it's from the Daily Mail:

A train steward refused to sell a passenger an egg sandwich . . . because he might choke on it.

Chris Haynes had gone to the buffet car after the crew announced that everyone on board would get a free soft drink as compensation for the train breaking down. After suffering the long delay and a lengthy queue to be served, Mr Haynes was understandably hungry. He saw some egg sandwiches on sale behind the bar that looked appetising, but when the 58-year-old came to order he was astonished to be told he couldn't buy one.

Mr Haynes explained that he was not trying to get a free meal and was happy to pay, but the steward again told him that he could not sell him a sandwich.

Recalling the bizarre exchange yesterday, Mr Haynes said: 'When I asked the man why not he said it was for health and safety reasons. I told him I didn't understand how health and safety came into selling a hungry stranded passenger an egg sandwich on a broken-down train.'

Mr Haynes said that when he asked for an explanation a second time, the steward replied: 'Don't you see? If the train has to be evacuated you could choke to death on the sandwich.' Mr Haynes, a bar manager himself, said: 'I've never, ever heard anything so ludicrous in my life. There was a queue of people behind me and they all looked shocked.'

The grandfather, who is about to emigrate to New Zealand to run a tour company, said he was astonished by the steward's reaction to his simple request. 'First Great Western were quite happy to give out free drinks but weren't prepared to sell egg sandwiches for health and safety reasons,' he added.

Mr Haynes had been travelling back to London from a day at Newbury-Racecourse in Berkshire when his packed evening train came to a standstill less than half way into the journey.

First Great Western run a special service to Newbury Racecourse on race days.

The train last Saturday, carrying racegoers from the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury Races, eventually arrived at Paddington Station two and a quarter hours late.

'Everything was going well until we broke down somewhere around Reading,' Mr Haynes said.

A spokesman for First Great Western said yesterday that she was not aware of the incident. She added: 'It is not our policy to refuse to serve customers on these grounds.'

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 17:04:44 »

Quiet day in the Mail news room, then.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 20:57:01 »

When I read this story I nearly choked on my sandwich. Can I sue the Daily Mail?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 21:08:17 »

When I read this story I nearly choked on my sandwich. Can I sue the Daily Mail?

That's almost worth sending to the Mail to see if they've got the sense of humour to publish it!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 22:59:18 »

Ok, so the daily wail does over exaggerate however......

....there must be some truth.......has no one picked up that if this had happened its not good for FGW (First Great Western) - and whilst the daily wail (although I like a lot of its points I dont like the way it does it) is a bit OTT (Open Train Times website) it does not usually invent things!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 23:10:37 »

That's almost worth sending to the Mail to see if they've got the sense of humour to publish it!

I did and they haven't.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 23:16:02 »

This happened to me, on the train that hit the most recent West Ealing jumper.

The train was held for some time while the bits were collected up.

The buffet served free drinks but would sell nothing, because of the need to serve most customers on the train with least delay.

Inconvenient but quite reasonable in my view.

(F)GW (Great Western) staff mostly do know best.

OTC
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 23:24:23 »

Guard: Tickets, please!

Passenger: It's in my pocket. I can't show it to you for Health and Safety reasons, as I could get a paper cut taking it out...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 23:34:37 »

Which has reminded me of an email I received back in 2005...

"England Expects", or "It is a good job Trafalgar was in 1805 not 2005"

Display the signal, Hardy!

Aye, aye, sir.

Hold on, there. Tis not what I dictated to the signal officer. What's the meaning of this?

Sorry, sir?

"England expects this day every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability." What gobbledygook is this?

Admiralty policy, I'm afraid, sir. We are an equal opportunity employer now. We had the devil's own job getting 'England' past the censors, lest it be considered racist.

Gadzooks, Hardy, hand me my pipe and tobacco.

Sorry sir, all naval vessels have been designated as smoke-free working environments.

In that case, open the rum ration. Let's splice the main brace to steel the men before battle.

The rum ration has been abolished, Admiral. It's part of the government policy on binge drinking.

Good heavens, Hardy, I suppose we had better get on with the battle. Full speed ahead!

I think you will find there is a 4 knot speed limit on this stretch of water, sir.

Damn it, man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history. We must advance with all despatch. Report from the crow's nest please.

That won't be possible sir.

Dammit, why not, man?

The Health and Safety Executive have closed the crow's nest, sir. There are no safety harnesses and the rope ladder doesn't meet the latest regulations. They won't let anyone up there, until a proper scaffolding is erected by a competent person.

Then get me the ship's carpenter without delay.

He's busy knocking up a disabled access to the fo'c'sle, sir.

Disabled access to the fo'c'sle? I've never heard anything so absurd.

Health and Safety again sir, we have to provide a barrier-free environment to all parts of the ship for the differently abled.

"Differently abled"? I have only one arm and one eye and I refuse to claim Social Security Benefit. I didn't rise to the rank of Admiral by playing the disability card.

Actually, sir, you did. The Admiralty is under represented in the areas of visual impairment and limb deficiency, so you got the job.

Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons.

A couple more problems here too, sir. HSE (Health and Safety Executive) won't let the crew go up the rigging without crash helmets and they don't want anyone breathing too much salt, it is bad for them.

I've never heard such rubbish. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy.

Even more problems, Sir. HSE say that cannon cannot be fired without a noise assessment being carried out and the men are fully kitted out with ear defenders. Also, the men are a bit worried about shooting anyone.

What is this? Mutiny?

It's not that, Sir; it's just that they're afraid of being charged with murder if they actually kill anyone. There are a couple of legal aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks.

Then how are we to sink the bloody foreigner then?

Actually sir, we're not.

What?

No, sir. The Frenchies and the Spanish are our European partners now. According to Common Market Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this stretch of water and may be hit by a claim for compensation.

But you must hate a Frenchie as though he were the devil.

I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-ordinator hear you saying that sir. You will be up on a disciplinary charge.

Dammit Hardy, you must consider every man who speaks ill of your King as an enemy.

Not any more, sir. Now put on your Kevlar vest, sir. It's the rules.

Don't tell me - HSE again. Whatever happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?

As I explained, sir, rum is off the menu. There is also a ban on corporal punishment.

What about sodomy?

Well, sir, although it isn't compulsory yet, it is to be encouraged.

In that case, kiss me, Hardy!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 23:53:48 »

I have a Close Relative who is a Health and Safety Manager... They'll find this rather amusing... Thanks for posting Wink

But this is just H&S (Health and Safety) gone mad... Bit like having First Aid Kits on the trains, yet the Staff aren't allowed to use them in the event that you cut yourself by shutting your hand in a toilet door Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 23:58:12 »

... there must be some truth ...

A spokesman for First Great Western said yesterday that she was not aware of the incident. She added: 'It is not our policy to refuse to serve customers on these grounds.'

So, you pay your money, and take your choice - but not if that involves an egg sandwich, apparently.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 13:09:30 »

I've had that email as well - excellent stuff. Grin Tongue

But with a serious message: "is all of this safety healthy?"

Think about it.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 22:20:58 »

Mr Haynes ought to put this down to a lucky escape. I wonder if he's ever tasted a FGW (First Great Western) egg and cress sarnie. Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 22:43:22 »

Mr Haynes ought to put this down to a lucky escape. I wonder if he's ever tasted a FGW (First Great Western) egg and cress sarnie. Grin

What taste!!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 22:57:12 »

I actually kinda like them!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: