Train RunningShort Run
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
02/05/24 05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 00:59:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[136] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[70] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[46] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[45] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW HSTs vs Arriva XC Voyagers  (Read 16389 times)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 00:26:04 »

Just to be different.. I actually prefer the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST (High Speed Train) sets above FGW (First Great Western) hsts or XC voyagers.

Those XC HST sets are actually quite nice. I do prefer their 1st class seating to FGW's slippy leather.

However Arriva are apparently withdrawing two of the five sets from the December TT change, according to the Fact Compiler's Railway Eye blog.

A rumour that XC have been denying for some weeks now.
dooby13

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 12:49:02 »

I have to say I much prefer the X-Country service and trains, compared with FGW (First Great Western).  They actually have electric doors AND they have been known to keep them clean, unlike FGW.  Obviously the cleanest trains I've ever been on were in Japan, and the dirtiest in Vietnam, but in all honesty, the late trains into Cornwall from London on a Saturday evening, are not far off the latter.  Fetid disgusting things...but I digress.

I did have one bad experience with X-Country.  St Erth to Sheffield return.  Going up was fine, but coming back took 2 hours longer, as we had to go via Newport, Wales, to pick up a member of staff.  How on earth is taking 6 full carriages, all the way to Newport and back (not a scheduled stop), to pick up one member of staff, in any way viable?  Should have stuck the person in a taxi - it's not difficult is it?!

Eh? When did this happen? An unscheduled stop en-route maybe, but I find it hard to believe that a scheduled service would go so far off route to pick someone up. Is it not more likely that the diversion was because of engineering works or a short notice closure of the line between Gloucester and Bristol? And 6 full carriages? What were you travelling in?

Yeah I was in coach F - but I suppose there could have been only 5 carriages.  They eventually got a bit emptier through Plymouth, Snozzle and Truro.  It was in October 2008 - the only announcement made was that we had to go to Newport to pick up a member of staff, and that no passengers should get on or off whilst there.  The whole trip took AGES, but at least I can now say I've been to Wales!

More recently I was on the FGW Plymouth to Penzance service on Saturday (5th December, 2009), and the train was in a sorry state.  Litter absolutely everywhere, I don't think they'd sent a cleaner down after Paddington, bins overflowing, no water left in toilets, so bogs full of......, and no chance to wash your hands - good infection control that!  And you still have to stick your hand out of the window to open the door, 21st century or what?!  Not a single ticket collector between Plymouth and Penzance - they probably reckon the ticket barrier was in use at Plymouth, but as usual it wasn't.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:15:11 by dooby13 » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 13:24:03 »

Next time I won't bother buying a ticket, as I've never seen ticket collector on a Plymouth to Penzance FGW (First Great Western) train after 5pm - spread the word, IT'S FREE FOR EVERYONE.

...err no it's not.  Deliberately travelling without a ticket in order to aviod paying for your journey is a crime for which I hope you get caught.  Those of us with tickets end up subsidising folk like you.

Edit by GrahamE to add comment ... This response and the subsequent ones now look a little out of place, as the original poster has updated his/her post.  The original post, as quoted here by Tim, appeared to incite ticketless (and illegal) travel, which is something that this forum does not encourage, condone or facilitate.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:36:09 by grahame » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 14:55:37 »

Next time I won't bother buying a ticket, as I've never seen ticket collector on a Plymouth to Penzance FGW (First Great Western) train after 5pm - spread the word, IT'S FREE FOR EVERYONE.

...err no it's not.  Deliberately travelling without a ticket in order to aviod paying for your journey is a crime for which I hope you get caught.  Those of us with tickets end up subsidising folk like you.

I have to echo Tim's comment dooby13. This forum is not here to advertise or condone fare evasion. By all means gripe about the lack of ticket checking and working barriers but don't use the forum to 'spread the word' suggesting others break the law. Fare evasion is a criminal matter that could have serious consequences if you are caught and prosecuted. A criminal record could make finding employment more difficult, you could be named and shamed, you could be refused a visa to travel to certain countries and you could be banned from the rail network.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 15:03:03 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 15:25:03 »

Talking of criminals (and as a fare paying passenger myself who is all too frequently angered at seeing people openly getting away with it at my expense, I couldn't agree more with what others have said up there) - it's encouraging to note that British Transport Police are starting to take a firmer line on the matter:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Tasers-British-Transport-Police-In-Three-Cities-To-Carry-Stun-Guns-In-Three-Month-Trial/Article/200912215495980?f=rss

3:01pm UK, Tuesday December 08, 2009

Kat Higgins, Sky News Online

British Transport Police officers are to be armed with Taser guns on rail networks ... for the first time.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 15:32:16 »

Talking of criminals (and as a fare paying passenger myself who is all too frequently angered at seeing people openly getting away with it at my expense, I couldn't agree more with what others have said up there) - it's encouraging to note that British Transport Police are starting to take a firmer line on the matter:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Tasers-British-Transport-Police-In-Three-Cities-To-Carry-Stun-Guns-In-Three-Month-Trial/Article/200912215495980?f=rss

3:01pm UK, Tuesday December 08, 2009

Kat Higgins, Sky News Online

British Transport Police officers are to be armed with Taser guns on rail networks ... for the first time.

Shocking!  Shocked Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 15:43:45 »

One step closer to guards having them and fare evasion being wiped out  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 16:06:48 »

One step closer to guards having them and fare evasion being wiped out  Grin

TOCs (Train Operating Company) can barely manage to issue guards with 'grippers', what chance tasers?

"If you don't pay your fare I'm going to stab you in the thigh with my biro" Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 16:19:28 »

"If you don't pay your fare I'm going to stab you in the thigh with my biro" Grin

Or turn around quickly with my Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 16:21:59 »

With some of the "people" I've seen guards have to deal with, I welcome this idea.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2009, 16:31:47 »

More recently I was on the FGW (First Great Western) Plymouth to Penzance service on Saturday (5th December, 2009), and the train was in a sorry state.  Litter absolutely everywhere, I don't think they'd sent a cleaner down after Paddington, bins overflowing, no water left in toilets, so bogs full of......, and no chance to wash your hands - good infection control that!  And you still have to stick your hand out of the window to open the door, 21st century or what?!  Not a single ticket collector between Plymouth and Penzance - they probably reckon the ticket barrier was in use at Plymouth, but as usual it wasn't.  Next time I won't bother buying a ticket, as I've never seen ticket collector on a Plymouth to Penzance FGW train after 5pm - spread the word, IT'S FREE FOR EVERYONE.
[/quote]Some HSTs (High Speed Train) between Plymouth and Penzance particularly the ones used by the hoardes of Cornish commuters to/from Plymouth are so grossly overcrowded that it is virtually impossible to check tickets anyway.The up 0844 and 1000 Penzance/Paddington and down 1306 and 1406 Paddington/Penzance HSTs are regularly delayed because of overcrowding between Plymouth and Penzance.Last Saturday I arrived in Plymouth from Exeter on the 1406 which had plenty of spares seats available only to be greeted by a mass of humanity waiting to return to Cornwall.The train left full and standing not just in the vestibules but end to end in the main gangway of every coach including the buffet coach.Absolutely no chance of adequate ticket checks under these circumstances.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 16:59:15 »

More recently I was on the FGW (First Great Western) Plymouth to Penzance service on Saturday (5th December, 2009), and the train was in a sorry state.  Litter absolutely everywhere, I don't think they'd sent a cleaner down after Paddington, bins overflowing, no water left in toilets, so bogs full of......, and no chance to wash your hands - good infection control that!  And you still have to stick your hand out of the window to open the door, 21st century or what?!  Not a single ticket collector between Plymouth and Penzance - they probably reckon the ticket barrier was in use at Plymouth, but as usual it wasn't.  Next time I won't bother buying a ticket, as I've never seen ticket collector on a Plymouth to Penzance FGW train after 5pm - spread the word, IT'S FREE FOR EVERYONE.

Some HSTs (High Speed Train) between Plymouth and Penzance particularly the ones used by the hoardes of Cornish commuters to/from Plymouth are so grossly overcrowded that it is virtually impossible to check tickets anyway.The up 0844 and 1000 Penzance/Paddington and down 1306 and 1406 Paddington/Penzance HSTs are regularly delayed because of overcrowding between Plymouth and Penzance.Last Saturday I arrived in Plymouth from Exeter on the 1406 which had plenty of spares seats available only to be greeted by a mass of humanity waiting to return to Cornwall.The train left full and standing not just in the vestibules but end to end in the main gangway of every coach including the buffet coach.Absolutely no chance of adequate ticket checks under these circumstances.

Indeed, the last Saturday of November saw the train (1306 pad pnz) sit there for a whopping 9 minutes as passengers were forced on. In the end platform staff declared "no more"!
woody

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2009, 17:39:15 »

Some HSTs (High Speed Train) between Plymouth and Penzance particularly the ones used by the hoardes of Cornish commuters to/from Plymouth are so grossly overcrowded that it is virtually impossible to check tickets anyway.The up 0844 and 1000 Penzance/Paddington and down 1306 and 1406 Paddington/Penzance HSTs are regularly delayed because of overcrowding between Plymouth and Penzance.Last Saturday I arrived in Plymouth from Exeter on the 1406 which had plenty of spares seats available only to be greeted by a mass of humanity waiting to return to Cornwall.The train left full and standing not just in the vestibules but end to end in the main gangway of every coach including the buffet coach.Absolutely no chance of adequate ticket checks under these circumstances.

Indeed, the last Saturday of November saw the train (1306 pad pnz) sit there for a whopping 9 minutes as passengers were forced on. In the end platform staff declared "no more"!
This situation has gone on for far too long and FGW seems powerless to do anything about as it gets ever more desperate finacially as the year on year franchise premium increases kick in while the Dft simply ignores the far south wests rail woes as it has bigger fish to fry.
dooby13

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 08:20:48 »

If the ticket conductors can't be bothered to go down the train to collect tickets, what do they expect?  What exactly are the staff doing the whole way from Plymouth to Penzance if they aren't cleaning the place or collecting tickets?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2009, 09:17:43 »

If the ticket conductors can't be bothered to go down the train to collect tickets, what do they expect?  What exactly are the staff doing the whole way from Plymouth to Penzance if they aren't cleaning the place or collecting tickets?

dooby, The staff are either busy doing something else or they are lazy and can't be bothered.  We can argue over which one it is until the cows come home(I expect it is a bit of both - guards do have other more important safety critical roles over and above checking tickets but the variation in checks between different staff members leads me to belive that their is also a motivation/moral/management issue with some Guards that needs to be addressed).

But that is a completely separate issue to fare evasion.  Just because your ticket isn't checked doesn't mean that you don't need to buy one. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: