Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 04:35:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting tickets to be banned?  (Read 15956 times)
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:34 »

I've heard a rumour that buying combinations of tickets for a through journey on the same train could be banned and you will be forced to change trains where you change from one ticket to the next?  Does anyone know more about this?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:14 »

I've heard a rumour that buying combinations of tickets for a through journey on the same train could be banned and you will be forced to change trains where you change from one ticket to the next?  Does anyone know more about this?

I'd like to see them enforce it.

Pack up stuff, get off train, get back on train in next carriage. 

How many train managers/guards are really going to be bothered or on  a busy peak train even realize?

It would be another pointless rule that revenue protection may try to uphold (if they ever bother to get on a train) but will otherwise be ignored - if it ever were introduced.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 12:34:03 »

I can't see how they could make you change trains - especially if you have advance tickets tying you to particular trains.

Even if you have flexible tickets, how do you meet this rule ?   leave the train ? touch the platform ? move to a different seat ? tell the guard: "honest, I did get off and on, but you didn't see me doing it, because you were 5 coaches away doing the doors" !!

The only thing this would achieve is having to increase the time in the station at every stop to about 5 minutes !
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:38:53 »

Even if you have flexible tickets, how do you meet this rule ?   leave the train ? touch the platform ? move to a different seat ? tell the guard: "honest, I did get off and on, but you didn't see me doing it, because you were 5 coaches away doing the doors" !!
I think the idea is that you would be forced to change trains, getting off the train and back on again wouldn't count as a change.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:44:39 »

I think the idea is that you would be forced to change trains, getting off the train and back on again wouldn't count as a change.

How would you deal with advance tickets?

What if the train you are on is the last train of the day?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 13:20:46 »

How would you deal with advance tickets?
As I say it's just a rumour so I have no idea how it would be enforced but I guess that if it were to be introduced it wouldn't apply to advance tickets.  I doubt the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are losing much revenue through people splitting advance tickets.  In September I went from Newton Abbot to Nuneaton and by splitting at Cheltenham I saved over ^10.  I think this is what the TOCs want to stop people doing.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 13:50:51 »

It's a rumour - nothing in it.

Out of interest, where did you hear it?
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 15:53:40 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=374#c-use of tickets

Looking at conditions of carriage at the moment it seems quite legal.

I think pressure groups would, hopefully, question any attempts by TOC (Train Operating Company)'s to change conditions of carriage.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 16:03:05 »

It is absolutely, completely, entirely and 100% legitimate. You're right, any attempt to stop passengers re-booking/splitting tickets would require a change to the Conditions of Carriage.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 16:15:47 »

It is absolutely, completely, entirely and 100% legitimate. You're right, any attempt to stop passengers re-booking/splitting tickets would require a change to the Conditions of Carriage.

Hmmm thats interesting...

I recently got a train from Frome down to Totnes via Westbury... Board at Frome ticketless (Ticket office closed, TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) Removed) asked the conductor on train for ticket, told me to get it at Westbury, arrive Westbury attempt to buy ticket and fail (Ticket Office Closed, TVM doesn't issue ticket starting from any other station) Board the Paignton train, sat in First Class (Wanted 1st  Ticket) waited Ticket Collector, Ticket Collector arrives... As to buy 2 tickets (Frome - Taunton & Taunton - Totnes) Ticket collector refuses to comply and insists I get off at Taunton and buy the Taunton - Totnes ticket at Taunton Station.

I couldn't really see why he was so grumpy about it, I had a genuine reason for not having a ticket, he would have let me have Frome - Totnes (about ^15 more Shocked ) and I could have stayed on the train till Newton Abbot... It didn't really bother me as I would have had to change trains anyway... but I still couldn't see what the problem was... Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 16:26:25 »

There is no way that could happen/ be enforced! I bet the rumour's wrong.

Just sort the fares out!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 16:31:08 »

I recently got a train from Frome down to Totnes via Westbury... Board at Frome ticketless (Ticket office closed, TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) Removed) asked the conductor on train for ticket, told me to get it at Westbury, arrive Westbury attempt to buy ticket and fail (Ticket Office Closed, TVM doesn't issue ticket starting from any other station) Board the Paignton train, sat in First Class (Wanted 1st  Ticket) waited Ticket Collector, Ticket Collector arrives... As to buy 2 tickets (Frome - Taunton & Taunton - Totnes) Ticket collector refuses to comply and insists I get off at Taunton and buy the Taunton - Totnes ticket at Taunton Station.

I couldn't really see why he was so grumpy about it, I had a genuine reason for not having a ticket, he would have let me have Frome - Totnes (about ^15 more Shocked ) and I could have stayed on the train till Newton Abbot... It didn't really bother me as I would have had to change trains anyway... but I still couldn't see what the problem was... Angry

Good job changing at Taunton is convenient, with the 1803 paddington penzance not far behind
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 16:32:44 »

I've heard the same rumour but with additional info that it is ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) that want to make changes to the Conditions of Carriage to change this, posibly as a result of lost revenue through split ticketing. As has been pointed out though, it is impossible to enforce and is likely to lead to more uneccesary aggrevation for staff that challenge this whilst further confusing the travelling public. Seems to be a rumour which is probably true to a degree but is unlikely to happen as a result of the problems assosciated with it
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 16:39:39 »

If it is true then it just goes to show how greedy ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) are. They need closing down.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 17:01:29 »

Your ticket collector was absolutely 100% bang out of order. Looks like he was fishing for a bit more commission. The conductor on Frome - Westbury train should also have sold you your tickets. (unless he had no working Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains)).

Personally, I'd've refused to get off at Taunton, but then I'm an awkard bar steward when I encounter petty (and incorrect) officialdom. Luckily this is rare on FGW (First Great Western). Only time I've had a guard get a bit sniffy was when I asked for a double split from Shirehampton to Plymouth and a Ride Cornwall Ranger and I was using a Railcard....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: