Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 02:33:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting tickets to be banned?  (Read 15953 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 09:20:24 »

Now that the Conditions of Carriage doesn't come in a printed format it is quite easy for ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) to change it.

But wouldn't the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) need to agree any changes?
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46:34 »

Does anyone have any credible source as to where this 'rumour' originated?

If this "rumour" had a credible source, surely it wouldn't be a rumour then, but a fact  Grin
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 10:48:19 »

Now that the Conditions of Carriage doesn't come in a printed format it is quite easy for ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) to change it.

But wouldn't the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) need to agree any changes?
Don't know the full rules for it to be honest.

We just got told that we wouldn't be provided printed copies anymore as all going online, which makes it easier to change. You would hope that some form of consultation needs to be done..
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 11:14:33 »

Don't know the full rules for it to be honest.

We just got told that we wouldn't be provided printed copies anymore as all going online, which makes it easier to change. You would hope that some form of consultation needs to be done..

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they have only been changed once since privatisiation (the contentious issue there was clarification that tcikets remained the property of the TOC (Train Operating Company) - there was a lot of fuss over whether this would prevent people keeping them for expenses claims, but the change was only done to prevent TOCs being accused of theft when their barriers retained tickets).  There was a consulation process then and I think that although the revision was driven by ATOC the department had the final say.  I can't see Adonis being sympathetic to ATOC on the split ticket issue after what he said about ATOC and the all line rover.   But he might not be arround for long and ATOC might get changes past a clueless tory who is new in the job and hasn't travlled by train before.  So passenger lobbying might be important. 
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 19:00:41 »

I think the main problem would be that ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) could easily argue that Split Ticketing is not in the interests of the railway as it can cause confusion that buying tickets from A-C spliting at Bis cheaper than going direct from A-B herefore it is in the best interests of the passengers to remove this option. We all know this would of course be a lie but it could be a case of ATOC knows best.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 19:33:35 »

Does anyone have any credible source as to where this 'rumour' originated?

If this "rumour" had a credible source, surely it wouldn't be a rumour then, but a fact  Grin

Point taken: my clumsy wording.

What I meant was, did this suggestion of possibly 'banning split tickets' originate from somewhere within the rail industry (for example, in a company e-mail or official document), or was it a case of, 'Oh, I overheard someone down the pub saying this, so it must be true'.

Lies, damned lies ... and rumours?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 19:44:59 »

I assume that the (admittedly supine) Passenger Focus would have to be consulted before any changes to the CoC (Chamber of Commerce TBA) - I'm pretty sure there are safeguards built into the system to avoid ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) meddling with them to the significant detriment of the passenger.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:25 »

No consultation needed - they get approval from the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and errr, change it.

Actually, I'm not sure they even need approval from DfT.
unfarepayingpassenger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 22:52:32 »

I have split season tickets:
Swindon - Didcot Parkway
Didcot Parkway - Reading

This has the added advantage of guaranteeing I get a Gold Card, which is generally only available if your season ticket is wholly within the old Network South East area. (But if you renew/get a replacement within the area they may give you a gold card).
It saves me ^372 compared to the Swindon - Reading ticket. It does limit me, but most trains do stop at Didcot. FGW (First Great Western) claimed to have met their performance & reliability targets last year, so there was not a renewal discount. This made the decision for me. I renew in October so I was hit by the January 2009 rise of 6%
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 22:57:58 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, unfarepayingpassenger!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 23:15:30 »

I have split season tickets:
Swindon - Didcot Parkway
Didcot Parkway - Reading

This has the added advantage of guaranteeing I get a Gold Card, which is generally only available if your season ticket is wholly within the old Network South East area. (But if you renew/get a replacement within the area they may give you a gold card).
It saves me ^372 compared to the Swindon - Reading ticket. It does limit me, but most trains do stop at Didcot. FGW (First Great Western) claimed to have met their performance & reliability targets last year, so there was not a renewal discount. This made the decision for me. I renew in October so I was hit by the January 2009 rise of 6%

Must be a pain if a train turns up that doesn't call at Didcot! (esp during disruption)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 23:27:49 »

It does limit me, but most trains do stop at Didcot.

But if you have a season the train does NOT have to stop at the station....... only if you have a normal ticket.  If you have a season and want to split the train only has to pas through the station

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 23:51:26 »

It does limit me, but most trains do stop at Didcot.

But if you have a season the train does NOT have to stop at the station....... only if you have a normal ticket.  If you have a season and want to split the train only has to pas through the station

I believe the rule is if ONE is a season ticket and the other is NOT ... but I may be wrong on that.  The idea being that split season tickets and split normal tickets are frowned upon, but if you want to extend a journey outside your normal season range, that's OK.

P.S.  Welcome to the forum, unfarepayingpassenger ... funny you should be posting about the weird fare system and strange rules  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 23:53:28 »

Not if they are both season tickets, as in this case.

Quote from: National Rail Conditions of Carriage at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf
19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

Edit: Pipped to the post... again!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2009, 09:30:52 »

I stand corrected

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: