DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 10:02:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[125] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[36] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[22] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[15] Cornish delays
[14] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Named Trains.  (Read 26662 times)
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 00:15:43 »

The Phantom
Any train allegedly scheduled to run between Worcester and Gloucester.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 10:46:59 »

The Doing Another TOCs (Train Operating Company) Job
1700 FGW (First Great Western) from Brighton
Good one bignosemac.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:37 »

The St Budeaux Duo
1730 Gunnislake to Liskeard
1749 Liskeard to Gunnislake

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 11:49:16 »

The Numb Bum
0626 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 12:28:15 »

Naming trains, though, can be excellent marketing and we shouldn't really be poking fun in a negative way (yes, I know, I was probably the one who started it).  How about a TransWilts service named as follows:

07:02 Westbury to Swindon ...
07:40 Salisbury to Swindon ... The "Swindon Commuter"
10:31 Salisbury to Swindon ... The "White Horse"
13:31 Salisbury to Swindon ... The "TransWilts Express"
16:24 Salisbury to Swindon ...  The "Cathedral City"
19:32 Westbury to Swindon ...

06:18 Swindon to Salisbury ...
09:02 Swindon to Salisbury ... The "Cathedral City"
12:02 Swindon to Salisbury ... The "TransWilts Express"
15:02 Swindon to Salisbury ... The "White Horse"
17:55 Swindon to Westbury ... The "Swindon Commuter"
18:45 Swindon to Salisbury ...

The "Swindon Commuter" is excellent marketing telling people from Melksham, Trowbridge, Westbury, Dilton Marsh, Warminster and Salisbury that there is a service that's designed and sold to give them a decent commuter service to Swindon.

The "Cathedral City" tells people from Swindon, Chippenham and Melksham that they do have an excellent, direct service to that place in the south of the county - Salisbury - that is so awkward to read by other public transport means.

The "TransWilts Express" is a reminder of how fast the train will get you from "a" to "b" in Wiltshire.  I know there have been arguments over the word 'express' here abouts, but at 35 minutes Swindon to Trowbridge, these trains are significantly faster than ANY other way of doing it

And the "White Horse" is in honour of Wiltshire, the tourist industry and the lovely county we have.  Let's take an opportunity to remind everyone.

Names for the other services?   Yes please - let's name them after some of the key player who have been working so hard behind the scenes in support of a sensible TransWilts service, or who will "own" the service and would be justifiably proud of the achievement.  I can think of four names (but I won't publish them here) from within the people at (or have been at) FGW (First Great Western), W(C)C and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 20:57:43 »

I hope I was poking fun in a light-hearted, rather than negative, way. Wink

The sterling work done by all concerned in promoting an improved service on the 'TransWilts' deserves recognition. So if things come to fruition in the future then maybe we can have The Train Wot Was Saved Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 21:23:21 »

Yes - rather like the Titfield Thunderbolt, we could have the Melksham MarauderWink Cheesy Grin

Actually, I think we're moving on from naming certain services, towards naming the trains that will hopefully run them.

I can think of a couple of possibilities for such 'named units': the 'Andrew Haines' and the 'Graham Ellis'.

But then, perhaps I'm biased.  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 22:10:23 »

Yes - rather like the Titfield Thunderbolt, we could have the Melksham MarauderWink Cheesy Grin

Actually, I think we're moving on from naming certain services, towards naming the trains that will hopefully run them.

I can think of a couple of possibilities for such 'named units': the 'Andrew Haines' and the 'Graham Ellis'.

But then, perhaps I'm biased.  Embarrassed
Personally "The Ollie" sounds good too Tongue
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 05:59:54 »

It always struck me with name / specially painted units that they were (and still are) liable to get way out of place ... so any marketing / advertising they provide may end up being out of place.  I've no objection at all to travelling from Chippenham to Salisbury in a unit branded for the Looe branch, nor for travellers from Newquay to Par getting a "visit Wiltshire" message - I think it would be a great idea but not exactly the heart of a marketing campaign.  Naming a train has a much more local effect IMHO (in my humble opinion), and there are a lot more of them - there must be between 150 and 200 units on FGW (First Great Western) (?), but each running an average of (? again) 3 to 5 round trips per day.

I was very careful *not* to suggest names of individual, and to suggest that names be honoured from amongst the organisations involved in providing the service rather than those who campaign for it ... but there are people amongst us that I would be delighted to see selected. I would say that all such people should be people who have really done the hard work, or who have had real and brave decisions to make (even if those decisions didn't involve a big time investment), and not who just happen to be the figurehead name.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:45:47 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 09:08:34 »

A few names of local services are slowly dieing or have gone altogether ....... Marlow Donkey some locals still use the name although most refer to the whole of the Maidenhead Marlow branch line when in fact it is only the section from Bourne End to Marlow

any others still around?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:36 »

the Melksham Noctural Occasional still runs from time to time
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 21:28:29 »

not really a route specific name but i have heard FGW (First Great Western) staff referring to the refreshed dmu fleet as sugar coated or polished turds.made me chuckle and having experienced some of the 158's i can agree when you look at the state some are now in.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2023, 08:21:07 »

I've just purchased my copy of the new FGW (First Great Western) Network Timetable (^3.00 from all good FGW ticket offices!) and amongst the wealth of information therein are a couple of pages of information on the named trains that FGW run, with a little history behind the name.

It is nice to see a little bit of tradition, harking back to the days of GWR (Great Western Railway) (with a nod to SR(resolve) in one case). Whilst today's HSTs (High Speed Train) may not have the romance of steam days of yore, it is still nice to refer to your journey by the name of the service you used.

I'm not recalling any named trains floating around of late.  Update, anyone?

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2023, 07:50:42 »

Maybe another name for your Wiltshire trains, from the Wiltshire flag, the Great Bustard. There again liable to mis-spelling.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2023, 11:09:17 »

Not forgetting the "broadgage", and perhaps the "broadgage tavern" for a rebuilt or replica tavern car.
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/british-rails-short-experiment-with-travelling-pubs-36068/

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: