Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 23:33:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow/Wintry conditions  (Read 118141 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 17, 2009, 18:55:15 »

I'm putting this here as it could affect a sizeable chunk of the FGW (First Great Western) network.

A fair bit of heavy snow looks very likely overnight tonight which will probably disrupt services into and out of London Paddington.

Does FGW have any contingency plans in place this time? Or will nothing be known until we know how 'heavy' this snow will be. I can imagine services from outside of London (Oxford/Reading) may be disrupted - and no doubt if that is disrupted it will also mean the Greenford line will be shut which would mean a day at home for me ('cos the Tubes will probably be screwed up too!) so I've prepared!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 15:18:07 by James Vertigan » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 18:58:26 »

Unless its feet deep, FGW (First Great Western) don't usually suffer too badly.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 19:03:25 »

Unless its feet deep, FGW (First Great Western) don't usually suffer too badly.

London forecasts predicting around 4-8in/5-20cm but where you are (ie Inner London, suburbs or outer counties) will depend on how much you get.

Then of course even if only a little bit falls there may be speed restrictions due to poor rail conditions.
hornbeam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 19:58:12 »

Hummmm...... This year when we had snow the network fell apart in my view. There was little or no infomation and no one  knew what was going on. I should add that I travel between Reading and Newbury, and the snow was far from deep. I had the feeling the low service was down to the fact they didn't want to cause damage to the Turbo's which I guess is fair as damage will cause a shortage of units has a long lasting effect.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 20:21:52 »

The third rail network tends to be badly affected, but all things considered the railways (at least in the south west) held up very well in February, certainly better than the road system. I made it from Oxford to Darlington via London at the height of the supposed "travel chaos" when the railway was running like clockwork - no delays or cancellations in sight on FGW (First Great Western), LUL (London Underground Ltd) or NXEC (National Express East Coast).
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 21:42:05 »

It has started snowing in West London in the last hour or so and is settling...

Notice has gone up on FGW (First Great Western) homepage:

A significant amount of snow is forecast for the South-East. First Great Western are planning to run a full service, but customers are advised to check the live updates section of this website before travelling.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 22:35:37 »

A couple of things that effect a train service when it snows overnight, the train crews have to get from their homes to their booking on points like the customers they serve many commute a far distance to work however they do it at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning before the roads are cleared.

Electric traction suffers, con rails can get iced especially if there is heavy snow which thaws and the refreeze this will damage collector shoes; better to suspend a service for one day than suffer canceling or reduce train length for a week while repairs are done.  Overhead Line also suffers from icing the eurostar route HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) has a deicing system basically they force current to flow the heat the wire this is the only route in the UK (United Kingdom) with this.

Points can get snow bound if the points heating is in good order in the South UK the system is designed for light snow and frost.

But do remember for you to catch your train at 07:00 the train crew signalers will have struggled through the snow to get to work 3, 4 or more hours earlier

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 22:54:05 »

Hence I went UDI and I'm at home whether client likes it or not untiil 29th

Inclement weather just gave an excuse

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 23:14:49 »

Have to say that during the week in February when it snowed, FGW (First Great Western) did me proud on the Cotswold Line. Bit late on the Monday (2nd??) both ways when it snowed in London and trains coming out of the capital were causing knock-on delays - but I think the 17.51's main problem was actually a broken windscreen forcing a set swap for a Turbo at Reading, not the weather.
The next morning and again on the Thursday or Friday when we got falls in the Cotswolds, trains were running almost to time all day, whether Turbos or HSTs (High Speed Train).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 00:02:37 »

From the excellent Oxford Mail:

Snow alert: Rail passengers urged to check services

Train operator First Great Western said tonight that it was planning to operate a normal timetable tomorrow but due to the forecast of heavy snow overnight, passengers should check whether their service is running before setting out for the station.

The latest information on FGW (First Great Western) services in Oxfordshire and the Thames Valley will be posted at the firm's website and in the Travel News section of oxfordmail.co.uk or call National Rail Inquiries on 08457 484950.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 00:09:24 »

It's not uncommon in rural Worcestershire for the trains to fare better than the roads when it snows heavily.
IanC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 00:15:41 »

Not quite snow related, but it looks like they are going to be busy sorting out the Maesteg route again:-

2320 Cardiff Central to Cheltenham Spa (Arriva Trains Wales)

Expected to arrive Cardiff Central at 0201*.
Expected to depart Cardiff Central at 0202*.

This train has been delayed by a landslip
Last updated: 18/12/2009 00:09:36 

Will Call At:
                                 Timetabled Arrival Expected Arrival
Newport (South Wales)         2338                   0220*
Severn Tunnel Junction         2358                    0240*
Caldicot                              0001                   0243*
Chepstow                           0009                    0251*
Lydney                               0018                    0300*
Gloucester                          0040                    0322*
Cheltenham Spa                  0053                    0335*
Previous Calling Points:

Timetabled Departure Expected Departure
Maesteg                                     2215                   Cancelled
Maesteg (Ewenny Road)                2217                  Cancelled
Garth (Mid Glamorgan)                  2220                  Cancelled
Tondu                                         2229                  Cancelled
Sarn                                           2232                  Cancelled
Wildmill                                      2234                   Cancelled
Bridgend                                     2221
Pencoed                                      2244                    0140   
Llanharan                                    2248                    0144   
Pontyclun                                    2252                    0148*

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 00:40:35 »

Well despite quite a lot of snow, the trains as far as Maidenhead (at least) were running just fine.. So well done to FGW (First Great Western). The taxis however weren't (understandably).. but having just spent 40 minutes turning into a snowman (lady?) waiting,  I'd like to praise the taxi drivers who did stay around at Maidenhead to help people home.. I'm hoping I'll warm up soon... Smiley Smiley
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:28 »

Yep. Trains running fine on FGW (First Great Western) up to the close of service tonight, despite some fairly heavy falls particularly between West Drayton and Maidenhead - made worse by the strong winds. The roads not faring so well though as my g/f has had to abandon hopes of reaching Wycombe and is holed up at a friends for the night.

Expect delays tomorrow morning though as it's still coming down hard...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 02:08:49 »

I remember trains coming down through Exeter back in February with huge chunks of ice/snow all over them.  Yes there were delays, (by the time everything's delayed an hour though you've still got a service at the time you'd expected anyway), and I think FGW (First Great Western) were one of the better operators for keeping services running.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: