Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 07:11:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow/Wintry conditions  (Read 118146 times)
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 04:54:07 »

Its around 5 inches here in wycombe, and still falling. I would expect Chiltern to be affected.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 05:39:12 »

Ahh sod it! Knew I should have got the earlier train @ AML, that seemed to run with no problems - the one I usually take doesn't look like it's going anywhere (no report from the monitoring point @ Twyford which should have come at 0519 and it hasn't got any actual departure time listed from Reading - significant snow in Reading according to FGW (First Great Western) site.

Not much here in Acton though - seems a lot of the snow from last night that dusted pavements has blown away...
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 05:42:23 »

Ahh sod it! Knew I should have got the earlier train @ AML, that seemed to run with no problems - the one I usually take doesn't look like it's going anywhere (no report from the monitoring point @ Twyford which should have come at 0519 and it hasn't got any actual departure time listed from Reading - significant snow in Reading according to FGW (First Great Western) site.

Not much here in Acton though - seems a lot of the snow from last night that dusted pavements has blown away...

EDIT - train has been delayed due to no crew member.. not looking good!
polonia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 08:41:27 »

Everything seems to be more or less running to schedule. Tavelled into Paddington from Reading and nothing around 07.00 was down as more than a couple of minutes late and once you get into West london the snow starts to disappear - there's none at all in central London (yet !) and all the tubes are running

willc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 08:52:54 »

Rather more problems being caused this morning by yet another failed train (how many in the past few day?)

Line problem between Reading and London Paddington.
Train services are being disrupted due to a broken down train between Reading and London Paddington.Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Delays of up to 45 minutes can be expected.
Two of the four lines are closed in the Maidenhead area in order to attend to the affected train. All other services are having to share the remaining two lines which will lead to delays due to the resultant congestion.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 09:23:30 »

Wondered why ther didn't seem to be many trains going past the the house (Taplow), although the snow does deaden the wheel noise.

Snow is very pretty when you don't have to go anywhere and being warbabies we have adequate tins under the stairs for emergencies.

it's a pity my garden railway is still in bits a it would be fun to try and run my live steam in the snow.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 10:52:52 »

Its around 5 inches here in wycombe, and still falling. I would expect Chiltern to be affected.

A lot of it must have melted overnight then, cause it was barely covering the platform this morning....and I mean the uncleared ends, not the (cleared) middle....
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 00:39:09 »

I win...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8422652.stm

Local news is reporting 10 inches and counting in Philly, still snowing heavily and not expected to stop for another 12 hours  Shocked Have just had the pleasure of wading to and from work in blizzard conditions the better part of a foot of snow. Bleaurgh.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 15:37:06 »

Warning message has gone up on FGW (First Great Western) website
Will customers please be aware that various locations on First Great Western Network are experiencing very icy conditions. When travelling please take great care boarding and alighting services.
Please allow extra time for your journey with the current weather conditions.

Are FGW doing anything about icy conditions at unmanned/part time stations? I think I saw some grit at AML recently, but not sure who is responsible for it (station staff, Network Rail, the TOC (Train Operating Company) or local authority). I'm sure a few stations must have grit bins nearby.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 15:41:43 »

I think it's the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s responsibility. Unmanned stations tend to get checked by roving staff in vans fairly frequently, so I would suspect that, unless roads are not passable, they should be getting gritted.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 15:53:19 »

I know Crowthorne last week was being gritted on the platforms but because the pedestrian steps I assume are NOT part of TOC (Train Operating Company) land, they werent and they are absolutely lethal

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 17:39:19 »

Warning message has gone up on FGW (First Great Western) website
Will customers please be aware that various locations on First Great Western Network are experiencing very icy conditions. When travelling please take great care boarding and alighting services.
Please allow extra time for your journey with the current weather conditions.

Are FGW doing anything about icy conditions at unmanned/part time stations? I think I saw some grit at AML recently, but not sure who is responsible for it (station staff, Network Rail, the TOC (Train Operating Company) or local authority). I'm sure a few stations must have grit bins nearby.

From FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways):

Quote from: FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) member
By about 1600 no salt had been spread on the platform at Sea Mills, the spendid new salt bin presumably having remained locked all day. The guard was warning passengers about the slippery ramp.

The snow seems to have fallen mainly just before midnight, leaving about five hours of clear weather for the various bodies that are paid to do something, to do something. The forecast for tonight is similar.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 20:20:18 »

I made a circular journey today from Bristol to Worcester, out via Newport and Hereford and back via Cheltenham. Despite the overnight snow all infrastructure things were fine except for a points failure at Hereford which delayed the 1511 to Paddington by 30 mins. I did notice though, that whilst most open platforms had been gritted, it had been done very perfunctorily, with just the odd patch gritted here and there.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 20:40:54 »

I made a circular journey today from Bristol to Worcester, out via Newport and Hereford and back via Cheltenham. Despite the overnight snow all infrastructure things were fine except for a points failure at Hereford which delayed the 1511 to Paddington by 30 mins. I did notice though, that whilst most open platforms had been gritted, it had been done very perfunctorily, with just the odd patch gritted here and there.

Which is interesting...........I've spoken to a few facilities managers at various places in these parts about the increasing occurence of car parks etc not being gritted.

Been told by several that there was a case last year where the high court held the land owner responsible if someone slipped and got injured on gritted territory that just wasnt done properly but that if it was not gritted at all, they would not have been liable.

The people in question were not connected to the same organisation so were independent but their legal departments had all issued the same advice....

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 20:51:41 »

That differs somewhat from the legal advice outlined here: see http://www.theclaimsconnection.co.uk/slipping-on-ice.html

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: