Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:15:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting Tickets  (Read 23205 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:31 »

How about Plymouth - Cheltenham same day return.  Straight through was ^55+ odd

Plymouth - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) - Taunton - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - Cheltenham Spa splits got it down to ^20 all on CDRs (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')).
That took time, using 4 different TOC (Train Operating Company) websites to check the various legs, but booked all through FGW (First Great Western) and picked all up at PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), though I had 4 booking refs and had to insert my card 4 times.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 10:44:38 »

That took time, using 4 different TOC (Train Operating Company) websites to check the various legs, but booked all through FGW (First Great Western) and picked all up at PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), though I had 4 booking refs and had to insert my card 4 times.
A good spot!  If you use the NFM (National Fares Manual), you can very quickly search for all the different splits (obviously this costs ^10...).  Also, the East Coast website gives one reference number for all your tickets that are bought together - which The Train Line powered sites don't normally do.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 16:53:20 »

Plymouth - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) - Taunton - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - Cheltenham Spa splits got it down to ^20 all on CDRs (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))..
You don't save anything splitting at Exeter:

PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) - EXD CDR:  ^7.50
EXD - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) CDR:  ^9.40
Total:  16.90

PLY - TAU CDR:  15.60
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 20:05:11 »

If you use the NFM (National Fares Manual), you can very quickly search for all the different splits (obviously this costs ^10...).

Not necessarily: many of you will be able to see our 'frequent posters' area for details.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 17:17:05 »

If you use the NFM (National Fares Manual), you can very quickly search for all the different splits (obviously this costs ^10...).

Not necessarily: many of you will be able to see our 'frequent posters' area for details.  Wink

Teehee <cough>  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
D

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:48 »

UK (United Kingdom) rail journey pricing is a morass of insanity.

(Off-topic/ Non-FGW (First Great Western)) A friend recently explained to me how to get advance purchase tickets from Ludlow to Mallaig and back for ^50 or so. The 2nd class return is ^163 which would have been a non-starter, ruling out making the journey.

Why cannot we have a renationalised railway and a website to book journeys & fill the trains as functional and transparent as say Easyjet's website? (the price of a seat depends sensitively on demand for that day and time of day, a 2000 km journey may vary from ^40 to ^150). They achieve 85% load factor. If the railways could do this they would save fuel as they achieve nowhere near 85% load factor.

With modern ICT, programming this to work for a single integrated railway system would be a relative piece of cake.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:14 »

A renationalised railweay is going to cost more to run, and this country doesn't exactly have spare funds at this moment in time....

How can you compare loading on airlines (single a->b trip) with trains which make multiple stops??? At what point do you measure a train's loading for comparison....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 14:08:54 »

Take a look at some morning commuter trains, 150+% load factor (if we count pax versus seats). Even off-peak local services can regularly load beyond 100% at some points on the journey. Try a trip between Southampton and Bristol on a Sunday afternoon.

I'll agree that UK (United Kingdom) fares are a 'morass of insanity' though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 15:45:27 »

What gets me is the cost of walk on first fairs in the middle of the day and the fact there are no super off peak

Recently I've often been pootling about during the day and I swear half the first carriages are carting hot air - when standard is pretty busy.

Why don't they have a super off peak for first on routes where they can't fill the carriages.  The only option is the full walk on which most (nor will I) pay

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 15:53:26 »

They do - they're called First Advance....done that way to *ensure* that you only travel on off-peak trains. They are purchasable up to 1800 the evening before you want to travel, and very rarely sell-out of the allocation.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 16:41:57 »

What gets me is the cost of walk on first fairs in the middle of the day and the fact there are no super off peak

They do - they're called First Advance....done that way to *ensure* that you only travel on off-peak trains. They are purchasable up to 1800 the evening before you want to travel, and very rarely sell-out of the allocation.

Chris - I think you're offering FallenAngel a product that doesn't meet her needs - she asked about walkon fares, but you've offerred an advanced ticket.

There are a number of travellers - I'm one too - who travel off peak when we can, but we can't be sure ahead of time of the exact timing.   A flight arrival into Gatwick, a job completed in the evening in London and wanting to catch the next train home - a such times we can't be sure exactly which train we'll be catching, so a specific-train ticket won't work.   And the gap, 2nd to 1st, is so huge that few people use the first.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 16:59:03 »

Maybe an advance ticket that specifies can only be used between 10am and 4pm maybe?

Even if its restricted to a certain day?

That would be what is needed

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 17:03:34 »

Example

Last Thursday my VPN token went down....I knew I had to get to the office to get it fixed.  It was about midday.

I got the 2 something from ludlow to newport and then the 3:39 - I think - from newport to reading.  The first class carriages on the train were empty.  Standard was full.  I could not have bought an advance I did not know the journey had to be made.

Yet the cost was extortionate compared to the standard fare

Friday - I got the 13:41 from Reading to Newport.  Again, and empty train in first but busy in standard.  i could not book advance as I had no idea how long he replacement token would take.

I can understand the price differential in the peak but why when they are carting around empty air, have that differential in the middle of the afternoon

brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 17:09:45 »

Ah, but there are some Off Peak First Class Fares.
Example - Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington ^264 Anytime First Return; ^154 First Class Off Peak return = earliest dept. from TM is 08.41 and latest return from Padd is 16.30 (and again 18.45 and later.

Cross Country also do Off Peak at just over half of Anytime Return, though the service offered is rubbish, and on some trains you might fight for a seat.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 17:10:52 »

Why cannot we have a renationalised railway

Oh please, not this old chestnut again!  Roll Eyes Let's bear in mind that most (although admittedly not all) of this so-called "morass of insanity" was inherited direct from BR (British Rail(ways)) with many different ticket types, differing time restrictions, different rates per mile depending on whether the journey was priced by Intercity, Network Southeast or Regional Railways etc etc etc. Although actually now we've largely moved away from advance tickets with various different names promoted by different TOCs (Train Operating Company) (although by definition they will generally be valid only for use on a particular operator) we're not actually that far away from where BR left off again.

I know there are a lot of (misled...?) idealists out there who seem to believe that all the problems the current railway has would be solved overnight by renationalization, but I really don't agree with that argument at all. No doubt many of them are from the "grass is always greener on the other side" posse who complained incessantly about what a mess BR was when it was in existence.

From a quick look in the fares manual, D, all you're quoting here is the difference between the off-peak return for the journey and advance tickets (GBP 163 vice GBP 50ish depending on the combination that's available). Exactly the same situation would have existed under BR, with Saver, Supersaver SuperAdvance and Apex (Advanced Purchase Excursion (fare)) tickets available for that journey. The GBP163 fare has no time real time restrictions (any train after 0415) and for a journey of that length, for a fully flexible ticket with no advance booking requirement I would say it represents fairly good value. To be able to make that journey for GBP 50 is an incredible bargain. Let's face it, in the real world, you're not going to be able to travel from Wick to Penzance at the drop of a hat for GBP 20 so to expect to be able to travel very long distances for almost no money isn't realistic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 17:19:45 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: