16:30 London Paddington to Taunton
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 02:41:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Rail fares puzzle', from the Telegraph's columnist Gill Charlton (15/01/2010)  (Read 8982 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2010, 00:21:54 »

From The Telegraph:

On December 6, we looked on First Great Western's website and saw that the cheapest advertised first-class fare from London to Penzance on February 2 was ^126 per person ^ even with the senior railcard discount. This was too expensive for us, so we bought standard-class tickets for ^60.90. Next day I was furious to see that the website price had fallen to ^44.90 for a first-class single and ^19.80 for a standard ticket. I thought that the earlier you booked, the cheaper the fare, so this didn't seem right.

I contacted First Great Western's customer services department, which initially said that someone must have returned their tickets so they could be offered at a cheaper price.

I wasn't happy with this explanation, so I inquired again. This time I was told that it could have been a fault on the website and that the website was run by a separate company to First Great Western so the company couldn't explain. I know the sum involved is quite small, but I want a proper explanation so I can avoid this happening to us again.
Hilary Gillard, London

Gill Charlton replies
First Great Western was a bit stumped by your experience, because once a particular service goes on sale no class of ticket should fall further in price. However, FGW (First Great Western) does admit that occasional reductions are made under promotions or fare changes.

I think that what probably happened was that the usual selection of discounted fares had not yet been loaded on to the website, so only the standard unrestricted advance fares were available on the day you booked.

First Great Western recognises that it could have done better and is sending you two first-class tickets and a letter of apology for the inconvenience caused.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:12:11 »

Looks like someone caught between booking horizons and the date on which the January fare increases are uploaded to the system. Whilst also, apparently, using a third party (non FGW (First Great Western)) website. If things like this catch someone like me out, with my nerdish investigation of fares, what hope the occasional traveller? Must remember to look at fares across an increase due date in future, so I can write a letter to the Torygraph and get two free first class tickets from FGW. Wink Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:59 »

Todays Gurniad has a piece on rail fares in the Money section.

Right  the end mentions "splitting".

Until we have a rational fares structure this kind of thing is going to run and run.

In the end it's going to put people off rail travel if it's not easy to to get the best fare for the journey one wishes to make.

At least with Ryanair you know you're going to be taken for a ride with extra charges.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:58:27 »

Last night's BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today did one of those expos^s of the way commuters pay different 'walkup' fares depending on route, the old 38p a mile from Brighton to London, 42p from Southampton, 48p from Reading, 43p on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to Birmingham sort of scam.

Based on 'the walk up ticket you'd have to buy if you went to the station at 0800 this morning' (Friday).  The next phase of this standard story that they run on quiet news days is to interview the local 'commuter representative' about these amazing fares. Of course a real Southampton commuter doesn't pay 42p a mile, because at the very least his 7 day season costs less than two Anytime tickets, so that's about 17p a mile and quite a bargain...

Paul

moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 14:06:25 »

Until we have a rational fares structure this kind of thing is going to run and run.

In the end it's going to put people off rail travel if it's not easy to to get the best fare for the journey one wishes to make.

At least with Ryanair you know you're going to be taken for a ride with extra charges.

The problem is; what is a rational fares structure ? x pence per mile for everyone,  y pence if you travel after 10 am, z pence if you book 3 weeks in advance - that is starting to sound a bit irrational already.

What is the "best fare" ? ^10 return ?, ^5 return ?, is that travelling after 10 am or booking three weeks in advance ?

The present "structure" has evolved over the years and is a mixture of the good, the bad and the indifferent. If we get rid of the bad, that probably will remove the good - we are left with nothing but the indifferent, is that what we want ?

Railcards surely are irrational ? Why should Miss Smith get 33% off just because she is 22 years old ?  Why should her sister get 33% off if she takes her two kids with her ? Why should Mrs Smith senior get 33% off because she wears a hearing aid ?  Bizarre ! Let's get rid of them, that is rational, surely. !

If the TOC (Train Operating Company) knows that its trains between 10am and  4 pm, and after 7 pm are running almost empty why shouldn't they sell off seats at "silly" prices, they will be totally empty if they are forced to charge more to get to a "rationalised" fare structure; then what follows ? - reductions in service.
This means less revenue, which means that prices for those that are left and who pay the highest prices at the moment, will rise !

The present fares system is complex, because of the way it has grown to meet the needs (in the main !) of the passenger. I fear that the Law of Unintended Consequences will mean that wholesale "rationalisation" of fares will just mean an increase in fares.

The TOCs are always being portrayed as evil money-grasping entities but they do have enough sense to realise that if fares rise TOO much they will lose custom AND money.

Despite what the commuter interviewed for the evening news says - nobody HAS to travel by train ! 
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 14:21:04 »

Railcards surely are irrational ?

I disagree with you about railcards, moonrakerz.  They are based on the principle that different people are willing / able to pay different amounts for the same thing.  There are a certain number of people willing and able to pay full fare for a journey but, off peak, these are not enough.  So you maximise the revenue for the fixed cost of running the train by allowing members of relatively low income groups (e.g. students, old age pensioners, disabled people) to travel at a discount.  Without the discount many of them wouldn't travel by train, there would be more trains carting round fresh air (or not running at all) and there would be less revenue for the TOCs (Train Operating Company).  The Family & Friends railcard allows the train to compete with the car by reducing the cost of a  group of people travelling together, where the total fare would otherwise be uncompetitive. 

Railcards have been a success and the rules governing their usage are relatively straightforward.  What is irrational is that you can get cheaper fares for the same journey by splitting it at certain points as opposed to a through booking.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 18:12:26 »

I disagree with you about railcards, moonrakerz. 

My statement was a purely rhetorical question, hence the ?

I totally agree that they generate revenue that may not be there originally - BUT, that is exactly the reason that many/most of the anomalies have come into being as well.

I often use the SWT (South West Trains) Temple Meads to Waterloo service.  An Advance single from Waterloo to Warminster is ^6.60 (on MY railcard !) a single to Salisbury is ^20.45/21.45 (Super off peak/Anytime - NO advance fares on this route).
Let's do away with the anomaly and charge (say) 25p a mile:
Salisbury stays the same at ^21, Warminster rises to ^26. This service is very useful for people on the line from Bath to Warminster for people going to London - most of those people book in advance - most of those people would not pay four times as much for their ticket ! There is very little "business" traffic on this route, just a little local traffic, the almost certain outcome would be the removal of this service.

The anomaly of splitting fares probably has an equally similar starting point. Steady traffic on a route from A to C, via B. Operator believes he can generate extra traffic/revenue by offering "cheap" fares from  B to C. Splitting becomes cheaper for those "in the know" - you can't really blame the operator for not telling the regulars travelling from A to C !!

I wonder at times whether the cry to "simplify/rationalise" the fares structure is brought about by:
1. Not really understanding how/why the system is like it is
OR
2. Saying "if I can't get that cheap fare - why should anybody else?"

Undecided Undecided
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 20:11:53 »

I disagree with you about railcards, moonrakerz.  They are based on the principle that different people are willing / able to pay different amounts for the same thing.  There are a certain number of people willing and able to pay full fare for a journey but, off peak, these are not enough.  So you maximise the revenue for the fixed cost of running the train by allowing members of relatively low income groups (e.g. students, old age pensioners, disabled people) to travel at a discount.  Without the discount many of them wouldn't travel by train, there would be more trains carting round fresh air (or not running at all) and there would be less revenue for the TOCs (Train Operating Company).  The Family & Friends railcard allows the train to compete with the car by reducing the cost of a  group of people travelling together, where the total fare would otherwise be uncompetitive. 

Railcards have been a success and the rules governing their usage are relatively straightforward.  What is irrational is that you can get cheaper fares for the same journey by splitting it at certain points as opposed to a through booking.

What I find most irrational is why someone living in the South East (approximate) can get him self AND 4 others discounted on a Network Railcard.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 21:26:20 »

The Network South East card was an attempt to fill primarily commuter services in the offpeak. Hence the 1000 start time on weekdays.  I have no facts to hand, but many people believe that normal fares in the former NSE (Network South East) area are generally higher than those in the rest of the country, and that's why such a card was never made available nationally.

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 20:02:27 »

many people believe that normal fares in the former NSE (Network South East) area are generally higher than those in the rest of the country

Too right!!!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 20:44:28 »

My problem with railcards is that they are not consistent.

e.g. You can get an OAP/disabled and I believe family discount on walk up first class fares but not a student one?  Surely this almost begs the "we don't want dirty students in FC(resolve)" accusation.

Of course, its this logic that I suspect means the advantix machines have their little loophole. 

A rail card should be valid for a discount off all fares subject to a minimum price and excluding season tickets.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 21:03:39 »

e.g. You can get an OAP/disabled and I believe family discount on walk up first class fares but not a student one?  Surely this almost begs the "we don't want dirty students in FC(resolve)" accusation.

Of course, its this logic that I suspect means the advantix machines have their little loophole. 

A rail card should be valid for a discount off all fares subject to a minimum price and excluding season tickets.

You can get a FC discount on a student railcard, but AFAIK (as far as I know) it's only on First Off Peak Day Returns and First Advance... I believe Family and Friends Railcard is the same thing (open to correction)... But I do agree that Student and Family and Friends railcards should be entitled to the FC discount at the very least on weekends/bank holidays...

Having said that, one thing I did notice as a Disabled Railcard holder is that it is cheaper when buying tickets is that the discount the railcard gives over a month is sometimes cheaper than the equivalent monthly season ticket...! Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 21:08:47 »

You can get a FC discount on a student railcard, but AFAIK (as far as I know) it's only on First Off Peak Day Returns and First Advance... I believe Family and Friends Railcard is the same thing (open to correction)... But I do agree that Student and Family and Friends railcards should be entitled to the FC discount at the very least on weekends/bank holidays...

Having said that, one thing I did notice as a Disabled Railcard holder is that it is cheaper when buying tickets is that the discount the railcard gives over a month is sometimes cheaper than the equivalent monthly season ticket...! Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

For me, it works out break even if I do four days a week - which is why I have no compunction using it to get a  discount :-)  If I didnt I'd only pay the same for a season but I do get the slightly better flexibility.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 21:27:25 »

You can get a FC(resolve) discount on a student railcard, but AFAIK (as far as I know) it's only on First Off Peak Day Returns and First Advance... I believe Family and Friends Railcard is the same thing (open to correction)...

Weekend First and First Advance are the only fares eligible for 16-25 railcard discount, according to the railcard website.

I'm sure FA knows she isn't entitled to discounts on weekday walk up fares, it just surprises me she keeps advertising it on here...

Paul
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 22:11:46 »

You can get a FC(resolve) discount on a student railcard, but AFAIK (as far as I know) it's only on First Off Peak Day Returns and First Advance... I believe Family and Friends Railcard is the same thing (open to correction)...

Weekend First and First Advance are the only fares eligible for 16-25 railcard discount, according to the railcard website.

I'm sure FA knows she isn't entitled to discounts on weekday walk up fares, it just surprises me she keeps advertising it on here...

Paul

And you know why I do it?

1. Because I think its not right that pensioners get the discount but students dont

2. 95% of FGW (First Great Western) staff know its not valid but if the machine says ok - then its ok - I make sure I point it out but they still sell it .............. I know Graham wont like this but if it came to court on the basis of the above, I'll take my day

3. If they close the looop hole great - let them , then I'll pay up - just like when they brought in IR35 (google it) I paid an accountant rather than DIY - I'm no worse off............

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: