Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:07:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: First Class from PAD to Oxford  (Read 11169 times)
drairways

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010, 13:31:40 »

Hey everyone..

Im planning a trip to Oxford.. and was going to take the First-great western train from London Paddington to Oxford.

I was going to buy a first class ticket... I was just wondering what services they provide for their first class passenger? Will they have refreshments on the train for free etc??

Thanks a million....I have never travelled on First great western.. so i would love to hear your insights..
Cheers Smiley
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 14:43:42 »

Entirely depends, if you travel on a service going further than Oxford, eg. Worcester or Hereford then there should be a Catering Trolley in First Class serving an assortment of goodies and drinks.

If the train terminates at Oxford then the buffet is closed and I can't imagine there is a FC(resolve) trolley
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 17:58:16 »

None of the Oxford Turbo's seem to have catering from my experience... I would stick to HST (High Speed Train)'s if I were you... First Class on a Turbo isn't really any different to standard class on a 158 Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
willc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 19:32:02 »

If complimentary refreshments are that important - and remember this is a journey which takes under an hour - then your best bet is to look for High Speed Train services that are travelling beyond Oxford to and from the Cotswold Line to Worcester, Great Malvern or Hereford, because these all have buffet services on board. HSTs (High Speed Train) are marked on the timetable with an H in a blob  above the trains in the timetable.

But no H blob means a Turbo diesel train, so it's trolley catering at best, which is also the case for the fast trains which only run between London and Oxford, including those using HSTs. And a number of these trains have no catering at all.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 19:33:52 »

The timetabled Mon- Fri services that are operated by High Speed Trains (Inter City 125, in old money!) that should* have at seat service in 1st class are:

From PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). 0822, 1022, 1122, 1551, 1722, 1750, 1822, 1922, 2020, 2148.

From OXF» (Oxford - next trains). 0627, 0656, 0733, 0751, 0805, 0851, 1531, 1631, 1736, 2031.

Complimentary items include hot drinks, fruit juices, pastries, fruit, nuts and crisps.

There are other services operated by HST (High Speed Train)'s that may have a catering trolley service for the whole train but I'm not sure whether these have dedicated 1st class Customer Hosts.

At weekends on HST services with an open buffet you can present your 1st class ticket at the buffet for complimentary items.

* I say should because, as you may discover from this forum, the services I have listed are to and from Worcester and beyond and they are occasionally subject to replacement by Class 165/166 Turbos which have very poor 1st class accomodation compared to the HSTs.

Oh, and welcome to the forum drairways!  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 19:56:38 »

None of the Oxford Turbo's seem to have catering from my experience... I would stick to HST (High Speed Train)'s if I were you... First Class on a Turbo isn't really any different to standard class on a 158 Wink

That will come as a surprise to the catering trolley staff who ply up and down on many of the Turbo-operated off-peak Oxford fast services, as well the Turbo-worked London-Cotswold Line trains.

And I would ignore the comment about 'should' be HSTs. The trains bignosemac lists are pretty safe bets for an HST. About the only one that is at much risk of a Turbo turning up these days, and only in emergency, such as last week's bad weather, is the 17.50 from London. Assuming you're planning a day trip to Oxford from London, you're unlikely to be using that one anyway.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 21:35:09 »

Hi, drairways, and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

I'm always reluctant to step in to modify any member's posts - particularly a new member.  However, just to avoid some duplication which was developing, I've merged your similar topic under 'Fare's fair' with this one.

Hope you don't mind - and thanks for posing an interesting question!

Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 22:38:18 »

The alternative: turn up at Paddington an hour early and go to the lounge !
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 22:53:53 »

That will come as a surprise to the catering trolley staff who ply up and down on many of the Turbo-operated off-peak Oxford fast services, as well the Turbo-worked London-Cotswold Line trains.

In which case I apologise and I don't doubt you... but from my experience of taking Oxford Terminating Turbo's, I have never seen a catering trolley! But i'm not exactly a frequent traveller on that line Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 23:12:34 »

I too have never seen a trolley on a Turbo into or out of Oxford, just unlucky I guess!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 23:31:11 »

I too have never seen a trolley on a Turbo into or out of Oxford, just unlucky I guess!

I find the WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) turbos either have a WOS-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) trolley or a PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF Trolley - aint ever seen one going all the way.  And if the trolley gets off at OXF (in either direction) one never gets on again

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 00:23:20 »

Years ago (probably at least 15), there used to be a trolley service quite regularly on the turbos from Paddington to Maidenhead (both ways).. I'm not sure where the trains with this service were going exactly as a final destination.. but it would be nice to have them back on more local services as well as the long distance ones.. I always saw people buying from the trolley as it passed through the train.. hhmm.. maybe the fact it could pass through the train is something that has changed?  Grin Cheesy
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 00:59:03 »

The Oxford - Paddington and return fasts don't normally have a trolley, the stoppers sometimes do though.
drairways

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 13:33:56 »

The timetabled Mon- Fri services that are operated by High Speed Trains (Inter City 125, in old money!) that should* have at seat service in 1st class are:

From PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). 0822, 1022, 1122, 1551, 1722, 1750, 1822, 1922, 2020, 2148.

From OXF» (Oxford - next trains). 0627, 0656, 0733, 0751, 0805, 0851, 1531, 1631, 1736, 2031.

Complimentary items include hot drinks, fruit juices, pastries, fruit, nuts and crisps.

There are other services operated by HST (High Speed Train)'s that may have a catering trolley service for the whole train but I'm not sure whether these have dedicated 1st class Customer Hosts.

At weekends on HST services with an open buffet you can present your 1st class ticket at the buffet for complimentary items.

* I say should because, as you may discover from this forum, the services I have listed are to and from Worcester and beyond and they are occasionally subject to replacement by Class 165/166 Turbos which have very poor 1st class accomodation compared to the HSTs.

Oh, and welcome to the forum drairways!  Cheesy

Thank you so so much for the information above, I am going to book the 1122 train, just for this reason alone.

Plus; I just wanted to say "Thank you" to everyone who so kindly took the time to write me a reply, This is a fantastic little community.

Once again thanks for all your help Smiley And thank you for the warm welcome!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 17:03:46 »

Fridays only, the 2148 is likely to become a turbo in May.....I've pointed out that Friday is *the* day that train needds more than a turbo, what with the extra luggage being carried....any other day would be better. The number of passengers currently carried doesn't warrant an HST (High Speed Train).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: