Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 04:15 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 04:17:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phil Sayer, BBC presenter and railway announcer, died 14 April 2016: RIP  (Read 14823 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 21:45:22 »

Do you have posters of him plastered all over your bedroom wall?  Cheesy

That wouldn't help - it's the voice that does it for me. Tongue

But I DO have an mp3 which i ripped off YouTube (the 2002 Southern service to Portsmouth Harbour and Bognor Regis). Oh dear, I really shouldn't admit this.... Lips sealed

I doubt any of us are surprised  Grin

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 18:00:36 »

This guy does a pretty good job of Phil Sayer - I'm sure Btline will be impressed Cheesy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZw3nnbQf-4
Bonus points for naming the station.

And there is also a Facebook group for Mr Sayer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phil-Sayer-is-a-Ledgennnd/340054542765
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 18:51:56 »

A whole 10 people appreciate his work it seems  Wink

I won't be joining
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 18:58:59 »

11 now!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 10:03:17 »

BBC7 documentary - listen from 23:05.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ttnkz/Cashier_Number_6_Please/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:20 »

Nice little insight into the man behind the voice. Good find James.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 15:13:24 »

We should protect Btline from this thread I think...it might cause all kinds of upset  Smiley Tongue Grin
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 20:09:17 »

or set off a massive stink bomb...!  Grin Lips sealed Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 23:47:31 »

Interesting PA (Public Address) announcement from Phil Sayer I heard this evening (06/04/2011) at Swindon:

"The next train to arrive at platform 3 is the 2011 First Great Western service to London Paddington, calling at Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington. Please note that this service is in reverse formation, First Class is at the rear of the train. A restaurant service is available toward the front of the train."

The mind boggled. A restaurant service in Standard Class on an ex Bristol TM(resolve) service.....  Roll Eyes Huh

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 08:54:14 »

Perhaps he was addressing First Class passengers.

If you'd waited, you might have heard a subsequent announcement for Standard Class passengers to the effect that "the caff's down the back end".

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 10:53:15 »

Phil Sayer, a voice familiar to many across the rail network, sadly passed away yesterday, 14th April 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36052363

RIP Phil.  Cry
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:38:05 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 00:08:55 »

Indeed - a sad loss.

I like the Facebook page of the Sayer/Hamilton family:

Phil Sayer - voice of reason, radio, and railways. A dearly loved husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend.

We are sorry to announce that this service terminates here.

Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 06:44:47 »

For me Phil Sayer will always be the voice of London Waterloo. Waiting for my train back to Dorset whilst Phil was nigh on constantly broadcasting all the many and varied departures with their long list of calling stations.

A sad loss  Sad
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: