Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 03:46:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Refurbished Mk 3 Carriages for Marylebone - Oxford service  (Read 20129 times)
Chafford1

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2010, 19:41:46 »

Roger Ford reports in February's Modern Railways that Chiltern are introducing refurbished Mk3 coaches (hauled by Class 67 locomotives with DVTs(resolve)) for their new Oxford service with power doors and retention toilets - construction of the prototype carriage is about to start.

I'm a little surprised Chiltern is using these on the Oxford services rather than the longer Birmingham route though.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 20:13:30 »

A change of plan. Originally, the loco + coaches was to go on B'ham runs with the Clubmans doing Oxford.
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 20:25:14 »

I posted this on Rail UK (United Kingdom) Forums and peak hour services from 2012 to Birmingham Snow Hill is the plan, according to the resident expert there!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:36:03 »

Roger has just corrected his article with a post in uk.railway.  Definitely 67/Mk3s to Birmingham.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:28:09 »

Do we know how many sets we are talking about?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 18:27:52 »

What about the Kidderminster trains - the first Kiddy one is a major peak London train, and the others are major peak B'ham trains, and so deserve the high quality service.

Only thing is that Stourbridge may not have the facilities to store them properly = Clubmans.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 16:59:08 »

I suspect storage / servicing will be the deciding factor.....

Roger Ford does get so much wrong.....I'm not surprised he posted a correction - but will it appear in print?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 17:18:06 »

Errr, I would say that Captain Deltic is one of the most respected and well informed railway journalists, particularly on the technical side. He's admitted it was a slip as he was hurrying to meet the deadline, rather than actually having the wrong information.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 17:24:45 »

Doesn't change that he gets things wrong, regularly....

Amongst some TOC (Train Operating Company) management, that reputation doesn't hold, that's for sure.
Chafford1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 20:57:55 »

.....I'm not surprised he posted a correction - but will it appear in print?

He usually does! The other error was referring to Water Orton rather than Water Eaton. Despite these minor glitches, I look forward to reading RC's articles more than any other journalist.

Mr Ford assures me there'll be more on Evergreen 3 in next month's Modern Railways, including a challenge to readers from Mr Shooter himself!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 22:59:42 »

Not too many, I suspect. But if the point of the exercise is to provide peak-hour, high-capacity queue-busters from and back to Birmingham, freeing up a few 168s to provide six-car trains for Oxford peak workings, which would then revert to running as two three-car sets to cover off-peak runs to both Oxford and Birmingham, they may not want that many Mk3s anyway.

If someone wants to try to work out the possibilities, this looks like the place to try http://abrail.co.uk/lhcspassdetail.htm to find the codes for owners and operators see the menu here http://www.abrail.co.uk/

A quick scan suggests there may be about 20 TSOs (The Stationary Office (now OPSI)) in store that aren't allocated to anyone. DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Regio certainly owns several spare DVTs(resolve) and appears to own 10 or so FOs, though one or two of those are shown running with W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)). With W&S now running four-coach rakes (plus a DVT), not sure there's much scope for getting any coaches from that source.

W&S did say in 2008 that DB Regio owned enough Mk3s for it to operate five four-coach sets if needed, so maybe that makes one short set available for Chiltern plus whatever they can get running from the others DB owns, plus some of those in store - presumably subject to the prototype conversion proving a cost-effective exercise.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 23:12:40 by willc » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 23:54:24 »

What a good idea to do a proper refurb with power doors etc.

I can't wait for this project - all they need to do to make it perfect is install Phil Sayer at Marylebone. (like they have at A Vale P'way)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 01:01:28 »

I would reserve judgment on the Mk3s until the concept is proved by the prototype. There have been schemes in the past for converting spare Mk3 sleepers into coaching stock which came to grief, apparently because they would have compromised the body structure.

It may be more straightforward starting with a TSO (The Stationary Office (now OPSI))/FO body in the first place, so you only need to worry about the door area but even so, I expect they want to be absolutely sure it will work as planned and be cost-effective. Hence the prototype. The Class 442 and Irish Mk3 bodies were purpose-built to incorporate the power doors, plus the associated kit, and satisfy structural integrity requirements.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 12:54:42 »

Not too many, I suspect. But if the point of the exercise is to provide peak-hour, high-capacity queue-busters from and back to Birmingham, freeing up a few 168s to provide six-car trains for Oxford peak workings, which would then revert to running as two three-car sets to cover off-peak runs to both Oxford and Birmingham, they may not want that many Mk3s anyway.

There was to be one set coming in last December TT change - but the drop in passengers owing to the recession made this unnecessary. I understood that Chiltern had access to Mk3s in double figures, but I may be wrong.

Re Mr Ford, surely he is aware of the proposed lenghth of the new Oxford platforms - in which case, wouldn't in be rather waste to occupy two coach lengths with vehicles that don't carry passengers? Seems a waste of a platform lengthening to me.....sufficient to realise that I weas spouting rubbish....
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:57:58 »

There was to be one set coming in last December TT change - but the drop in passengers owing to the recession made this unnecessary. I understood that Chiltern had access to Mk3s in double figures, but I may be wrong.

I gather if you look at the ownership of Mark 3  "DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about)" is the key, I gather there are a fair number.

I also gather Roger Ford was wrong about Mark 3s to Oxford. Definitely to Birmingham to attempt to compete with Virgin on time.

Hence dropping of High Wycombe stops on fast Birminghams, which has been mentioned under the Evergreen 3 posts.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: