Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:07 London Paddington to Newbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:08:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo refresh started.  (Read 102124 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2013, 13:47:42 »

It shouldn't make any difference as the HVAC system is all independently controlled from each vehicle.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2013, 12:22:04 »

Another software update has been applied to the Turbo APIS system.

The good news is that is seems to have made further improvements to the reliability of the system, so hopefully the days of the wrong station being announced are finally over.

The bad news is that there are now 'information' announcements after some station calls.  For example, after Hayes, Southall, West Ealing, Ealing Broadway and Acton Main Line there is a long rambling announcement about the Monday-Thursday evening service curtailment.  So, if you're on a stopper you have to put up with that after every stop which is bloody annoying, and also misleading as it says "From February" rather than "From February 2013", so people might be misled into thinking that is from next February.  A similar announcement is made at Reading about the overbridge closure "From March..." - old information in my opinion and should not be announced more than once per trip (if at all), and perhaps only displayed on the internal screens.  Mind you, the grammar on those internal screens is pretty terrible with missing full stops, 'Network Rails' rather than 'Network Rail's' and wrongly spelt stations (Acton Mainline).

Shame really as we have a nice little system without too long and frequent announcements that plague other types of train, and the number of announcements is slowly creeping up to annoying levels - still, hopefully the reliability has now been improved.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2013, 12:48:31 »

Seems bizarre to add more announcements to the automatic system just as manual announcements are being cut on most services.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2013, 13:15:14 »

Excatly.  Regular Turbo commuters, please let FGW (First Great Western) know if you find these announcements excessive!

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2013, 13:53:46 »

I noticed recently that there seems to be an extra announcment on the turbos about the overbridge closing on the 1st of March 2013 (or something like that).

Now I have been on plenty of turbos in the last year but don't remember hearing that until recently.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2013, 14:43:44 »

See my post #256.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2013, 14:46:20 »

See my post #256.

Ahh sorry II - I was doing a quick catchup having been absent for a while but I totally agree with you

Dave
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:48 »

I was on a 166 between Thatcham and Reading last night (Thurs 11th) and wanted to report that the aircon seemed to be working pretty well on what was a warm evening. Definite surge of hot air coming in when the doors opened at Reading Smiley
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 12, 2013, 09:39:00 »

I was in the leading car of a 166 the other day and the air con was not having much effect, as I moved into the centre car it was almost fridge like.

Seems to be quite hit and miss.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:44 »

My partner, who doesn't use the train that often, decided to use it yesterday. She was not at all impressed that the windows were all bolted closed, that the aircon was not working (or having any effect at least) and the carriage was like a sauna.

I explained why, told her to speak the the driver to get them opened next time, or to move carriage on the off chance it might be working better - so at least she is better prepared next time.

Its all well and good us regulars knowing these tips, but for the average joe, I really do feel sorry for them having to deal with these problems.

Thankfully my morning service seems to be aircon (while its cooler anyway), and the evening service seems to all have the (opened) windows - so things have been reasonably comfortable for me this week!

Also, ironically, the train I was on last night had the station announcements out of sync with the stations again. I say ironically as II mentioned it had been updated few days ago to hopefully improve things, yet this is the first time I have seen it out of sync for quite some months!
mathmo

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2013, 01:11:22 »

Yesterday I got two 166s and the air-con was working on both!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2013, 11:44:17 »

I was on a 166 between Thatcham and Reading last night (Thurs 11th) and wanted to report that the aircon seemed to be working pretty well on what was a warm evening. Definite surge of hot air coming in when the doors opened at Reading Smiley

Took a short journey from Hayes to West Drayton on Friday evening (12/7). All windows in the 166 carriage I was on were open. Some people using makeshift fans out of magazines. Didn't look to see if windows in other carriages were open.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2013, 12:01:15 »

What would be useful would be if there was some way of someone checking if the air con is working before the train starts out for the day, and at various points during the day too... It's all very well and good saying the driver can open the windows, but when you're crammed in on a train where it's not working 1) How do you get to the driver and 2) how does he get to the windows (even if he agreed to it which I imagine he might not)...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2013, 17:14:57 »

A similar announcement is made at Reading about the overbridge closure "From March..." - old information in my opinion and should not be announced more than once per trip (if at all)

As you passed through several stations, you heard it ad nauseam. Had your journey been to the next station only, you would have heard it once per trip. The announcement would have to be made after departure from every station to be sure of every passenger hearing. Of course, there is the question of whether it needed making at all...

Now, please!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 16, 2013, 08:29:55 »

A similar announcement is made at Reading about the overbridge closure "From March..." - old information in my opinion and should not be announced more than once per trip (if at all)

As you passed through several stations, you heard it ad nauseam. Had your journey been to the next station only, you would have heard it once per trip. The announcement would have to be made after departure from every station to be sure of every passenger hearing. Of course, there is the question of whether it needed making at all...

I heard it this morning on departure from Twyford on a London-bound train, obviously something wrong with the system. Incidentally I spotted 5 different 166s this morning and each of them had most if not all of their windows open.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
  Print  

Jump to: