Delayed
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 17:35:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[91] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[31] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • GWR 175 Anniversary event: April 17, 2010
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 - Celebrating 175 Years of the GWR.  (Read 6456 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2010, 19:10:08 »

2010 sees the 175th anniversary of the founding of the GWR (Great Western Railway). On 31st August 1835 a Royal Assent was given and the Great Western Railway was born.

A whole host of events are planned across the west with the 'STEAM' museum at Swindon leading the way.

More information on what is happening where and when can be found on the official GWR 175 webpages. There is information here on events to be held at 'STEAM' as well as links to other locations holding events.

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/steam/gwr175.htm

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 22:56:21 »

Vintage Trains are operating some main line trains in conjunction with FGW (First Great Western), the highlight of which is "The Bristolian on 17th April, featuring fast runs behind 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe run non-stop between Bristol Temple Meads and London and back.

You get one way by steam and the other way on a 125 special service.

Sadly we're travelling that day, otherwise the thought of a non stop run from Bristol to Paddington would be too much to resist.   
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 19:00:33 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=4772

Details of this now on FGW (First Great Western) website - I'd love to go on it but looking at their website - ^125 odd quid per person - bit pricey! Guess I'll just have to watch it pass through Acton Main Line instead.
TrainSpy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 00:56:48 »

Interestingly this dropped into my inbox recently...assume there's a price starting from London end too but can't work it out...  ;)spy

Getting All Steamed Up!  Celebrating 175 years of the Great Western Railway - A Special Train on Saturday 17th April for West Country Passengers

2010 marks the 175th anniversary of the founding of the Great Western Railway.  First Great Western is helping to celebrate this important anniversary by joining with rail industry partners to organise a number of special events across its network during the year.  Working with Vintage Trains Limited the first of these events takes place on Saturday 17th April and involves two thoroughbred GW (Great Western) performers ^ the Castle class steam locomotive and the High Speed Train.

On Saturday 17th April passengers from the West Country will be able to travel up to London on a special HST (High Speed Train) charter service.  On arrival in the capital the passengers will change trains, onto a steam-hauled express train.  Headed by 1936-built Great Western Castle class steam locomotive No.5043 ^Earl of Mount Edgcumbe^, this train ^ called ^The Bristolian^ - will be the first non-stop steam-hauled express passenger service between London and Bristol since the early 1960s.  At Bristol passengers will be able to rejoin the special HST service and return to the West Country.

The special HST charter service will call at Plymouth, Newton Abbot, Exeter St.Davids, Tiverton Parkway, Taunton and Bristol Temple Meads en route to and from London.  Timings are being finalised, but the departure from Plymouth is expected to be c.0645, with the return arrival at c.1715.

Passengers travelling in Premier Dining will be able to enjoy a Great British Breakfast on the special HST en route to London, a 3-course Roast Lunch on the steam service to Bristol and a High Tea on the special HST back from Bristol, including Champagne, Gammon Steak or Poached Salmon, followed by a cream tea!

Tickets are ^150 Standard class and ^225 Premier Dining (table for 2 on steam service ^15 extra/person).  The fares include travel on available FGW (First Great Western) services from stations west of Swindon, Evesham and Bedwyn (inclusive) to/from the nearest calling point for the special HST charter service.

Passengers wanting to book tickets should call our partners Vintage Trains on: 0121-708-4960 and look on their website for more details (www.vintagetrains.co.uk/vt2010_0417_down.htm). The Vintage Trains website also has details of other trains being run in association with FGW, with link-in fares from FGW stations.  Book early to avoid disappointment!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 19:11:44 by chris from nailsea » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:33:04 »

Starting from London - 125 pounds standard class.   Details:
http://www.shakespeareexpress.com/vt2010_0417_up.htm

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:52:30 »

Starting from London - 125 pounds standard class.   Details:
http://www.shakespeareexpress.com/vt2010_0417_up.htm

Wot  ! No Advance tickets ?   Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 12:26:31 »

Maybe the title ought to be amended to the first non stop steam pasenger train, etc...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 19:15:36 »

Thanks, John R, for your suggestion - I've also taken the opportunity to link TrainSpy's topic to our forum calendar - and thanks for posting! Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:58 »

According to a report in a railway magazine, water troughs are to be-instated for this event in order that steam locomotives can pick up water without stopping as used to be done.

Does anyone know if this is true, or is it an April fool? Though the story sounds plausible, it IS in the the April issue, and testing is to take place in "early  April" which makes me a little doubtful.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:30:26 »

That has all the hallmarks of an April Fool's jape if you ask me. Such an idea would be impossible to implement these days, as the water would be a potential breeding ground for bacteria and trespassers and others straying onto the track to rip up and steal signal wiring might accidentally trip, drown, or worse still catch something nasty from the dirty water.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 15:00:38 »

No question. April fool!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 15:25:51 »

...  I'd love to go on it but looking at their website - ^125 odd quid per person - bit pricey! ...

Curiously enough, I also thought "do I have 125 quid to blow" or rather 150 as I'm one of those people wiv a straw sticking out of the side of my mouth from West of Swindon.  But when you look at it, an ordinary any time return is 159.00 (standard) and 264.00 (first) just from Bristol to London - without food in standard, and with limited freebies (or "includebies") in First, so perhaps it's not that bad a deal.

In fact ... if this special is commercial viable, why not base the train in Bristol on a permanent basis and have it make a couple of round trips to London each weekday.   Commuter traffic on the peak service, tourists wanting the Steam Train experience during the day.

I'm not going to blow that money ... I would probably have gone if I could have walked down to my local station and hopped on a connecting service, but enquiries confirmed that timings aren't suitable for that  Undecided and I can do without the hassle of buses or station car parks

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 16:01:45 »

Stop press - I think it can be done  Smiley

Melksham 09:18 -> Pad 11:02
Steam Special to Bristol
Bristol 15:00 -> Melksham 15:45

And speaking with the lady on the phone, they would let a group from our town join the down special at Paddington even though we don't actually arrive there on the special HST (High Speed Train).

XPT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 22:16:26 »

Whilst these specials do sound very appealing - a nonstop London-Bristol run in an HST (High Speed Train)(albeit the boring MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine'd ones we have now) and a nonstop Bristol-London steam run, I think ^125 is a little steep really and I won't be booking.  If however it was priced a little lower at around ^85 I would have probably booked it.

It is a shame there doesn't appeal to any other special runs on the main Great Western mainline this Summer.  A diesel version of the special non-stop Bristol-London runs hauled by for example either a Class 47, 50, or 52 Western priced a little lower than the steam equivalent would have been great.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 22:27:07 by XPT » Logged
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:49 »

I suppose we could put a 142 into Chocolate & Cream / Turners Tours livery.....

Grin

Trundling gently round the SW
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: