18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 19:45:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[58] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists
[47] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: XC beats FGW.... so say the Customers  (Read 9692 times)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 23:36:14 »

If anyone wants to peruse the full survey results, the pdf can be downloaded here http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/news-and-publications/document-search/

Having actually filled in one of these survey forms - for the spring round last year - I have to say that of their kind they are pretty thorough and probably a bit better constructed than an FGW (First Great Western) one I filled in last November. And the station ratings are based on the journey being made at the time you are surveyed. It doesn't discriminate on the basis of who runs those stations - so XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) gets it in the neck for other operators' failings, or credit for their successes.

There is clearly an issue with lumping the whole of FGW's operation in as London and South East but the same goes for NXEA (National Express East Anglia), with a similar mix of services on a smaller scale, which scored 79. FGW is actually spot on the average satisfaction rating for the category. And matters probably aren't helped by it operating probably the most tired-looking suburban fleet around London.

However, the only LSE operators that got a rating way above FGW were the Heathrow services, just shuttling up and down on a nice short route, c2c, with an effectively closed network, worked by a single type of train, and Chiltern, which again has an effectively segregated route for much of its network. The other firms with high scores were W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)), Grand Central and Merseyrail, two operating a handful of trains a day, and another on a closed network. Is there a pattern emerging here?

I'm sure that if FGW cut back its network to London-Reading only, it too would achieve great marks but the bigger and more complex your operation,the more things there are to go wrong and more people using your trains to upset when that happens. Not sure there's any way round this, because if you tried to 'weight' the result it might obscure failings or distort what is supposed to be a way of getting an objective snapshot of how passengers see things around the country.

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:06 »

Not this passenger (not a bloody customer, particularly so in this instance).....

Want a coffee between Bristol Parkway and Taunton? No chance with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). Travelling down last Saturday I noted that their was a crew change at Temple Meads and the off-duty 'Retail Services Manager' stayed on board along with the new RSM.

Stuff like this really p*sses oops, can't put that, um, gets on my nerves and gives the rest of us a bad name. Assuming it wasn't one of our elusive HSTs (High Speed Train) then the trolley handover should have taken place in F at the catering store so stocks can be checked in the fridge there. Even first class complimentaries should come off the trolley at the weekend so the RSM has no business hanging about the galley if they've not served the train. I personally will off drinks to first if I have time or if there's no catering on board, but don't go telling the managers that.

I'm really not a fan of XC, and it's such a shame to see Arriva putting it to the dogs, but I am glad there are still staff 'on the ground' that care enough to go beyond such as 'readytostart'.  Smiley

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:35 »

Phil, I rather think the situation at Chepstow is entirely different, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) pass through there anyway, so stoppi g there isn't a massive effort, whereas melksham requires units and crew which don't exist at present..!

Go tell the Corsham Station campaign that Smiley
willc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 09:54:20 »

Phil, the trains for Corsham don't exist either. FGW (First Great Western) has always taken the view that if Corsham and Wantage Road/Grove ever reopen that it would not stop expresses at them. With the loss of the Oxford-Bristol Turbo service, there's nothing else running past either place, so even if the councils ever do manage to get the money to build the stations from somewhere, they would need to find yet more to subsidise some sort of train service.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 13:22:27 »

FGW (First Great Western) has always taken the view that if Corsham and Wantage Road/Grove ever reopen that it would not stop expresses at them. With the loss of the Oxford-Bristol Turbo service, there's nothing else running past either place, so even if the councils ever do manage to get the money to build the stations from somewhere, they would need to find yet more to subsidise some sort of train service.

That's where the 'Wiltshire Electric Horseshoe' fits in nicely.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 16:34:28 »

It wouldn't help Corsham though?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 19:02:13 by John R » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 22:27:16 »

Phil, I rather think the situation at Chepstow is entirely different, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) pass through there anyway, so stoppi g there isn't a massive effort, whereas melksham requires units and crew which don't exist at present..!

Go tell the Corsham Station campaign that Smiley
There's also the small matter of there actually been a station at Chepstow!
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 11:12:20 »

But however... Shocked

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/headlines/5003869.First_Great_Western_voted_train_operator_of_the_year/?ref=rss
amiddl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 12:56:27 »

This does amaze me. FGW (First Great Western) are not the worse but certainly a surprise as the best.

I have suffered a spate of problems with FGW over the last 6 months which has really put me off. I can rarely fault staff but stock problems, delays and a lack of planning puts FGW well down my list. Lower than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))  probably not - but not that far above and certainly not train operator of the year..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 14:35:40 »

This does amaze me. FGW (First Great Western) are not the worse but certainly a surprise as the best.

I have suffered a spate of problems with FGW over the last 6 months which has really put me off. I can rarely fault staff but stock problems, delays and a lack of planning puts FGW well down my list. Lower than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))  probably not - but not that far above and certainly not train operator of the year..

I'm tring to work out how this was judged / how the winner was decided, while at the same time agreeing that FGW probably do deserve a "most improved" award because they've stepped up so far from the "last by a long way" position they found themselves in three years ago.   I found the following:

http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2010/02/eversholt-rail-awards-funniest-ever.html

http://www.railbusinessawards.com/sponsorship.html

Eversholt Rail, the main sponsors, are a RoSCo (part of HSBC), so it's likely that "best" isn't being judged from a passenger's viewpoint, but rather by how well they're liked by others in the industry, in particular those people who get all the money for hiring them older rolling stock than anyone else's fleet at prices which are very profitable to the stock owners.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 15:16:27 »

perhaps we are all forgetting that... "you can prove anything you want to with statistics"

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
TrainSpy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 00:41:24 »

Actually if you have a look at the interview with Mark Hopwood on the awards website, its pretty clear that FGW (First Great Western) got the award for the improvements they've made in the last two years - which lets be fair are fairly significant - rather than that they're the 'best'. if you get the distinction! I like the fact he says he's proud of everyone at FGW... makes a change i suppose!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 14:55:10 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, TrainSpy!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: