13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 13:05:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[78] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[53] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[40] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[34] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What size turning circle is needed?  (Read 3720 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: February 12, 2010, 17:48:23 »

Sitting on a cruddy 153 to Swansea now my battery on my laptop has died because I forgot to boot it in long life mode I was thinking about trying to leave tesco today.

Some numbnut had parked blocking an exit causing me to have to try to three point turn a navara between two rows of parked cars - not easy.

So since I can't do anything useful on my laptop I wad thinking if turning circles - just what would be the minimum loop to circle a hst b
vs a dmu?

Can u tell im bored? Have an assignment due at midnight - my house had a plumber in, the Gardner, one room is being decorated and a jcb is digging up my drive. I wad trying to work out where I could go to study that (1) wouldn't require me to buy stuff all the time (2) didn't shut at 4 and (3) should be relatively quiet - the only thing I could think of was a train lud-lud via how. Except I left my laptop in power mode and it died just after a station that sounded like panties on.

So turning circles ?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 17:59:45 »

So since I can't do anything useful on my laptop I wad thinking if turning circles - just what would be the minimum loop to circle a hst b
vs a dmu?

In reference to a 153:

This locomotive (?) should not be operated on track curves of less that 438mm radius

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 18:11:33 »

My HST (High Speed Train) can do a full circle in the space of about 3 sq ft.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 19:24:29 »

Pantyffynnon maybe?

ETA back to Ludlow at 2103. That's a long day out. How much did it cost? 

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 19:26:49 »

Pantyffynnon maybe?

ETA back to Ludlow at 2103. That's a long day out. How much did it cost? 

20.75 off peak return lud-swansea with a railcard. Which was a bargain for what is roughly 5.5 hours uninterrupted study - lost an hour due to dead laptop but is now recharging nicely for the upcoming change at newport.

Given near me, there is nothing other than the costa coffee open after five other than pubs, it was that, or go to birmingham!

I'm hoping the three ring circus has left the house when I get home so I can finish the final bits and submit electronically on time

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 19:33:09 »

correction 21.65

And I was spared a 4.55 upgrade from swansea to newport as referred to on another thread

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 22:47:38 »

The interweb is oddly silent on this one, but I've found a picture of an old mk 3 data panel that states "Min curve 4.50 chns". Assuming that's the radius, we're talking a turning circle of 198 yards...

When the need arises to turn an HST (High Speed Train) to get first class pointing in the right direction again (they sometimes end up wrong way round after weekend engineering diversions, and there used to be at least one diagram a day from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - SWA» (Swansea - next trains) via BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) that reversed en route, thereby ending up @rse about face), it's often done using a triangular junction such as at Landore (Swansea) and Didcot. In fact, I once had the pleasure of sitting on an HST whilst it was turned - early one Sunday morning a couple of years ago my Bristol-bound train arrived at Didcot with one of the horn tones stuck on and sounding continuously. Rather than take the easy way out and cancel the train, FGW (First Great Western) impressed me by getting the passengers on, pulling out towards the power station, reversing towards Oxford, reversing once again back out onto the main line but east of Didcot station this time, followed by a final reversal (count them - three reversals so now the defective power car was at the back!) after which we called at Didcot again, 50 minutes after the first stop! This confused the hell out of some of my fellow passengers (I ended up drawing diagrams to try and explain what was going on, but to little avail) but it was great to see some good old-fashioned operating initiative at work to resolve the situation with minimum inconvenience to all concerned.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 23:05:46 »

Turning an HST (High Speed Train) was how I got the East curve at Maindee.

Up HST from Cardiff hit something on the line and ruptured the  fuel tank on the leading loco some where around Marshfield, smearded windows and smell of diesel.

Was in Frist Class (work).

Got to Newport expecting to be thrown off, but no we were given teh right of way, but turned left towards Hereford and then reversed and took the East curve and proceeded to London with the train reversed. So only one actual reversal.

This was before HST fire at Maidenhead caused by a ruptured fuel tank.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 01:30:38 »

At AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) we have a list of places in our working instructions (and I'm sure control have a bigger list) of places to turn trains.
I've recently learned the Laverstock diversion, including drawing my boss a lovely diagram of Salisbury station, which is nice cos none of our drivers sign it!
XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) at least have a few diagrams in place to utilise these seldom used but useful reversal points couple I know of are:
Late night (2100ish) Glasgow to Edinburgh runs via the South Suburban.
2146 Reading to Birmingham reverses at Foxhall Junction (RDG(resolve) - OXF» (Oxford - next trains) 50 mins with no intermediate calls!)
0540 Edinburgh to Dundee runs via the South Suburban and the Fife circle.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 01:36:16 »

Turning an HST (High Speed Train) was how I got the East curve at Maindee.

Up HST from Cardiff hit something on the line and ruptured the  fuel tank on the leading loco some where around Marshfield, smearded windows and smell of diesel.

Was in Frist Class (work).

Got to Newport expecting to be thrown off, but no we were given teh right of way, but turned left towards Hereford and then reversed and took the East curve and proceeded to London with the train reversed. So only one actual reversal.

This was before HST fire at Maidenhead caused by a ruptured fuel tank.

That brings into context teh very familair sign I see of Maindee WEst

Henry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:28:22 »

Perhaps you should join/use your local library FA.

Stress levels sound as though the head gasket is on the way out.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: