14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:02:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worcester to Reading on Sundays when there's engineering work on Cotswold Line  (Read 4508 times)
Steve Bray

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 23:13:33 »

This may have been dealt with last summer when the Cotswold Line was blocked for the redoubling work. Anyway, I plan to travel from Gt Malvern to Dorking on Sunday 28 February on the 1705 from Gt Malvern, which will be diverted via Cheltenham and Swindon. I'll be travelling with my Network Card beyond Worcester. Will I be OK to use it on this service? I won't be breaking my journey between Worcester and Reading. I don't really want to go to Hanborough, get on a bus and add an hour to my journey.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 23:19:52 »

This may have been dealt with last summer when the Cotswold Line was blocked for the redoubling work. Anyway, I plan to travel from Gt Malvern to Dorking on Sunday 28 February on the 1705 from Gt Malvern, which will be diverted via Cheltenham and Swindon. I'll be travelling with my Network Card beyond Worcester. Will I be OK to use it on this service? I won't be breaking my journey between Worcester and Reading. I don't really want to go to Hanborough, get on a bus and add an hour to my journey.

I doubt anyone will argue whether officially valid or not

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 00:12:38 »

Hey FA, only problem I can see is whether an Evesham routed ticket would be allowed on the diverted service, as the route Evesham or Stroud is not available in conjunction with a Network Railcard. I would fire off an email to FGW (First Great Western) and use words such as regular traveller, goodwill etc and print off any favourable response.
From my whistle-stop research you can get a NSE (Network South East) discount on the via Evesham, via NOT Birmingham and via Any Permitted, but not on the via Evesham or Stroud.
I would therefore imagine, as you're not breaking the journey, that a Not Birmingham ticket would be valid, even if an Evesham one was not.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 00:43:07 »

Hey FA, only problem I can see is whether an Evesham routed ticket would be allowed on the diverted service, as the route Evesham or Stroud is not available in conjunction with a Network Railcard. I would fire off an email to FGW (First Great Western) and use words such as regular traveller, goodwill etc and print off any favourable response.
From my whistle-stop research you can get a NSE (Network South East) discount on the via Evesham, via NOT Birmingham and via Any Permitted, but not on the via Evesham or Stroud.
I would therefore imagine, as you're not breaking the journey, that a Not Birmingham ticket would be valid, even if an Evesham one was not.

What I fine - not just during the blockade but on similar services when engineering happens - if its even vaguely valid, no one on FGW questions it.  I went via NWP for the six weeks on a WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains)-RDG(resolve) ticket and only paying a lUD-HFD» (Hereford - next trains) excess to cover the arriva section.    Was WOS-RDG via NWP valid - who knows - but I think it was only questioned once.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 00:59:55 »

Well I wouldn't, when NXEC (National Express East Coast) or GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) before them had engineering and weren't running passed Edinburgh, I would take 'Not Glasgow' tickets on my Queen Street's.
On the route you're on about it's for the most an FGW (First Great Western) fare so I doubt there'll be too much of an issue.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:00:11 »

As it's an officially arranged FGW (First Great Western) diversion, like those last summer, then I'm sure the same ticket rules will apply, which was that via Evesham tickets were valid the long way round, including Network Railcard discounts.

The closure north of Oxford (looks like renewing points at Oxford North junction) applies next weekend Feb 20-21 and 27-28. Also means XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and FGW Banbury and Bicester Town services won't be running.
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 22:10:55 »

Thanks to those who offered comments and advice. FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services have confirmed that so long as there is no break of journey 'off-route', then I will be able to use my Network Card for this diverted journey.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: