Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:35:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading - Balloch  (Read 3560 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2010, 22:06:19 »

A bit of a random one for you all if you want to give it a go.

On Sunday 21st February I am going to travel from either Reading or Swindon to Balloch, departure time somewhere between 08:00 and 09:00. The catch is I only want to use First Group TOC (Train Operating Company)'s Smiley
Going via London I understand that LUL (London Underground Ltd) will be required, and that is the only exception to the First Group TOC Rule.

Good luck Smiley (and thanks in advance as if anyone gets a reasonable journey, saves me finding myself - lazy I know)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 22:11:12 »

You monkey!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 22:12:38 »

In fairness I had it all planned for leaving tomorrow, but I'm not now, Sunday might be a bit more complicated and longer journey times, might end up having to buy a ticket if can't find a reasonable journey via First Group TOC (Train Operating Company)'s Sad
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 22:18:39 »

If you're prepared to stick around all day on Sunday then presumably the sleeper from Euston to Glasgow is valid.  Though I accept that's a bit of a cop out of an asnwer, and means a bit of a rough night, unless you cough up for a sleeper supplement (which would probably be worth it).   
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 22:20:03 »

Thanks John, sorry I should have added I need to be there at some point in the evening on Sunday.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 23:17:00 »

Don't think you'll be able to make it on First alone, FHT are starting at PBO due to engineering.
Sleeper could be a bit iffy too as FSR (First Scot Rail) STMs will be on strike with the rest of the guards on Saturday though I don't think they'll be displaced due to no Saturday night service.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 23:18:35 »

Don't think you'll be able to make it on First alone, FHT are starting at PBO due to engineering.
Sleeper could be a bit iffy too as FSR (First Scot Rail) STMs will be on strike with the rest of the guards on Saturday though I don't think they'll be displaced due to no Saturday night service.
Oh that's a pain, ah well looks like I will be paying then Smiley Thanks RTS
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 23:20:39 »

First Capital Connect would bridge the gap from London to Peterborough...

Just checking whether this work will affect FCC (First Capital Connect), the interweb says 'Services will operate once an hour in each direction between London and Peterborough, these trains will not call at Hitchin. Customers travelling to/from Hitchin should use replacement buses to travel between Hitchin and Stevenage/Arlesey. Customers travelling to/from Hitchin should allow an extra 30 minutes. Until approximately 0900, buses will replace trains between Stevenage and Peterborough. From approximately 2100, buses will replace trains between Stevenage and Biggleswade.'

Assuming you'll need a fairly early Hull Trains service, you might need to use the FCC bus if it's too early to connect with the first direct London-Peterborough.
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 23:38:21 »

Pity you have to travel on Sunday as Hull Trains are terminating at Peterborough.

Your journey would be:

FGW (First Great Western) to Paddington

bus 205 to KGX (engineering works on LUL (London Underground Ltd)!!)

FCC (First Capital Connect) to Peterborough 1st train 1015

Hull Trains Peterborough to Doncaster

TPE (Trans Pennine Express) Doncaster to Manchester

TPE Manchester to Carlisle

Scotrail Carlisle to Glasgow

Scotrail Glasgow to Balloch

This would get you to Balloch around 2300 but with some transfers of less than 5 mins would be unpractical.

Would suggest going FGW to Banbury then buying a single to Manchester then using TPE/Scotrail from there.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 23:45:59 »

Engineering Oxford to Banbury too if I read my diagrams right!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 23:51:29 »

Aha looking at the FCC (First Capital Connect)/FHT option I came up with this:

Reading - Paddington (FGW (First Great Western)) (Departs 09:01 and Arrives: 09:39)
Paddington - Oxford Circus (LUL (London Underground Ltd)) (Departs: 09:47 and Arrives: 09:55)
Oxford Circus - Kings Cross (LUL) (Departs: 10:02 and Arrives: 10:08)
Kings Cross - Peterborough (Departs: 10:15 and Arrives: 11:38) (FCC)
Peterborough - Doncaster (Departs: 11:50 and Arrives: 12:48) (FHT)
Doncaster - Manchester Piccadilly (Departs: 13:42 and Arrives: 15:06) (TPE (Trans Pennine Express))
Manchester Piccadilly - Preston (Departs: 15:46 and Arrives: 16:32) (TPE)
Preston - Glasgow Central (Departs: 16:42 and Arrives: 19:00) (VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises))
Glasgow Central - Balloch (Departs: 19:14 and Arrives: 20:00) (FSR (First Scot Rail))

So just payment for the Virgin Trains and Underground required. Might be a reasonable option except the Reading - Kings Cross bit is very tight.
For reference the normal route that NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) is suggesting would get in at 18:30 (leaving Kings Cross at 10:30 instead of 10:15) so it's not too much of a difference.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 23:59:05 by Ollie » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 00:27:18 »

36 minutes (if my adding up is right) from Paddington to Kings Cross isn't too bad and easily done..if only the circle line were open.. I'm guessing it's sending you via Oxford Circus because the circle line will be shut (as is usual at weekends).. This will obviously take longer..

The Reading to Paddington time seems very long too.. I'm assuming there are no intercities at that time that are first stop Paddington? Although looking at the journey planner there appear to be no fast trains from Reading to Paddington on Sunday morning... strange.. engineering works I guess... Smiley
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 00:31:09 »

Having spent 2 years at stirling university - why in the name of all thats holy do you WANT to go to balloch

unless you want to commute to HMRC in Cumbernauld

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 00:33:29 »

Having spent 2 years at stirling university - why in the name of all thats holy do you WANT to go to balloch

unless you want to commute to HMRC in Cumbernauld
I have friends that live in Jamestown so it's either Balloch or Alexandria, and they have told me Balloch is a bit closer. I've not been there myself so somewhere new for me to go too Smiley

36 minutes (if my adding up is right) from Paddington to Kings Cross isn't too bad and easily done..if only the circle line were open.. I'm guessing it's sending you via Oxford Circus because the circle line will be shut (as is usual at weekends).. This will obviously take longer..

The Reading to Paddington time seems very long too.. I'm assuming there are no intercities at that time that are first stop Paddington? Although looking at the journey planner there appear to be no fast trains from Reading to Paddington on Sunday morning... strange.. engineering works I guess... Smiley
And thanks for that Jo. Think I will just go for it and try this route, if something goes wrong then I'll just have to use East Coast.

And Sunday Service pretty much always has extended journey times unfortunately. The 09:01 is actually a InterCity service (Starts Bristol TM(resolve))
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: