07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:02:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare help for a friend please - this is outside my geographical area....  (Read 5712 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2010, 17:05:48 »

About to do a lands end to john o groats bike ride (lord knows why) and need to get from ludlow to penzance - one way.

Cut from the same cloth as me so prefers to go first class on FGW (First Great Western) or cross country if possible.  Can't do advance as has to collect fellow idiots en route and too much risk having to get off trains to round them up etc etc

So - can one save on the rather extortionate anytime fare by splitting tickets - or is there any cheaper way to do it

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 17:41:02 »

^89.10 YP First Day Single is the only option without splitting.

And splitting at Bristol doesn't look any cheaper. I'd say its quiet a reasonable FC(resolve) fare.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 17:55:11 »

^89.10 YP First Day Single is the only option without splitting.

How did you get that ?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 18:33:51 »

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 18:47:33 »

Assuming you are using a Y-P railcard...

FDS (Any Permitted): LUD to EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) ^50.55
FDS (XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Only): EXD to PNZ ^33.00
Total: ^83.55

Assuming you are travelling with ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) to Newport, there isn't any 1st class there (AFAIK (as far as I know)) so a standard class for this leg might be cheaper:

SDS (Any Permitted): LUD to NWP ^11.60
FDS (Any Permitted): NWP to EXD ^35.20
FDS (XC Only): EXD to PNZ ^33.00
Total: ^79.80
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 18:53:27 »

Sadly - friend in question doesnt have a RC - but I can add the 1/3 onto it!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 18:54:39 »

Thanks all!

I'm just glad its him not me!

moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 18:58:45 »

devon_metro:

Ta ! found it myself, finger trouble !
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 18:59:32 »

Those "AP Bridgwater" fares look like a bit of an oddity...what permitted route are they keeping you off by forcing the journey through Bridgwater? And more to the point, why on earth would you actually want to make the journey without passing through Bridgwater (no rude jokes about Bridgwater please!)? Must be a fairly large detour.
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 19:03:33 »

As I was informed in response to a post on another thread, Bristol to Taunton is valid via Westbury.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 19:05:56 »

Those "AP Bridgwater" fares look like a bit of an oddity...what permitted route are they keeping you off by forcing the journey through Bridgwater? And more to the point, why on earth would you actually want to make the journey without passing through Bridgwater (no rude jokes about Bridgwater please!)? Must be a fairly large detour.
Just checked the Routeing Guide and there don't appear to be any permitted routes that don't pass through Bridgewater (although I stand to be corrected).  I think it is just a thing they do on AP tickets, i.e. they have to include either a routeing point or an operator's name.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 20:26:09 »

"AP" stands for Advance purchase, so that route would only appear on AP tickets.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 20:46:24 »

Further split the EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains)-PNZ FDS at PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) for more savings.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 21:04:59 »

Thanks all - I have the advantix thingy on my windows virtual machine but I'm clearly not intelligent enough to work out how to use it!

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 21:11:33 »

Thanks all - I have the advantix thingy on my windows virtual machine but I'm clearly not intelligent enough to work out how to use it!
My method for working out splits is this:
1. Find an old envelope or scrap of paper which is reasonably large
2. Calculate the direct fare
3. List all major intermediate stations on your journey
4. Start by choosing one of these stations and calculate fares either side
5. If cheaper, now choose another station from either side and split further (remember to write down all the fares you find, to save looking them up again)
6. If it isn't cheaper, keep trying intermediate stations until something crops up that appears cheaper.
7. Golden rule: check the restrictions on the tickets to make sure they are actually valid on the services you wish to use

Remember also that sometimes it can be cheaper to buy a ticket for further than you wish to travel, provided a break of journey is permitted on that ticket (e.g. the SVR ticket on Bristol TM(resolve) to Cosham, where Bristol TM - Havant is cheaper).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: