Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:17:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty fares go live in April 2010  (Read 68872 times)
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2010, 20:13:40 »

There must be a situation that can arise where a PF (Penalty Fare) is issued, and then it is discovered later (back at the office maybe) that the culprit is a serial offender.

If he's paid up, is that it? Or do mobile RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) have the ability to check by phone? Can a PF be refunded and a summons issued anyway - maybe there's some appropriate small print on the notice?

Paul

As part of the id check they the RPI will be told of any previous Penalty Fares issued for the same person.  They can then decide whether is issue a penalty fare or take it further.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2010, 21:37:08 »

There must be a situation that can arise where a PF (Penalty Fare) is issued, and then it is discovered later (back at the office maybe) that the culprit is a serial offender.

If he's paid up, is that it?

Since a Penalty Fare is a fare, not a fine, you can't become an offender for receiving one, and you can't become a 'serial offender' it you are issued more than one...

Can a PF be refunded and a summons issued anyway - maybe there's some appropriate small print on the notice?

...and it would be a little unreasonable to be prosecuted for repeatedly paying your fare!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2010, 15:11:16 »

If he's paid up, is that it?

Since a Penalty Fare is a fare, not a fine, you can't become an offender for receiving one, and you can't become a 'serial offender' it you are issued more than one...

Whatever, if they don't keep records I'd be amazed.  Even if offender was the wrong word, I'd be surprised if they don't have lists of PFs issued on their PDAs...

Paul

chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2010, 00:36:25 »

Had another day out in Devon - the boat trip around Dawlish bay is very good !

Got on the School run from Dawlish to Paignton - the girl who rudely pushed in front of the queue said she had no ticket, didn't care and was rather preoccupied texting some hot boy further up the train.
RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) found her and the result was just as you'd expect - nearly in tears - no I don't know my Mother's phone number - they had to let her go as she 'had' to get off at Teignmouth and by now an unrelated adult had started on the RPI.

Much better result at Newton Abbot - much shouting of 'no ticket means a penalty fare' saw a rather large amount of schoolies  huffing,puffing & swearing their way back over the bridge to find another way home.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:18 »

....no I don't know my Mother's phone number....

Yeah right! Bet Mum's number was in her mobile. How else does she call her taxi service which must pick her up at the drop of a hat day or night?

Shame RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s can't look at the little darlings' mobile phonebooks. Bit of BTP (British Transport Police) backup needed on this service methinks.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2010, 07:56:00 »

Shame RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s can't look at the little darlings' mobile phonebooks. Bit of BTP (British Transport Police) backup needed on this service methinks.
Unfortunately police don't have this power either.  However a request from a police officer is probably more likely to generate the best response (i.e. handing over of the parent's phone number).
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2010, 11:55:50 »

Every time someone is issued a PF (Penalty Fare) it is kept on record, on your third PF in 12 months you wont be issued a PF but reported for prosecution, if you are liable to a PF you HAVE committed an offence by joining a train without a ticket where it is possible to buy your ticket before travelling (Byelaw 18(1)) and you can be reported for this on the first occasion, an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) or infact a guard/ATE etc does not have to accept a fare in these circumstances and can report for the byelaw offence, and its pretty easy as no intent has to be proven as it is a "strict liability" offence!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2010, 17:09:54 »

Unfortunately police don't have this power either.  However a request from a police officer is probably more likely to generate the best response (i.e. handing over of the parent's phone number).

Hmm. The occasional presence of a BTP officer on board a train does indeed work wonders: see http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=6784.msg67801#msg67801

C.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:14 »

I witnessed a RPO on a FGW (First Great Western) service for the very first time yesterday on 1F11 (Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour) between Bath and Westbury where there are never normally any ticket checks on this service.

After leaving Bath Spa, the guard (quite a jolly chap) announced his usual bits and pieces, then followed this by "Please have all tickets ready as there are revenue protection officers on this service.  Passengers without tickets may be subject to a penalty fare of at least ^20."

The RPO came through (wearing the distinct grey jacket instead of the blue one) with an Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine and a pad of something (presumably penalty fares).  He Zifa-ed my ticket as 2X56 - not sure if this is something special or whether he hadn't changed the stamp.  He had a very good inspection of my railcard but didn't want to see my reservation coupon for the advance ticket.

The main point of my post was about the type of people who were issued with penalty fares.  There were two ladies who were middle aged, looked very trusting and honest, not your typical fare evaders.  "Two returns from BoA» (Bradford-on-Avon - next trains) to Trowbridge please".  "That will be ^40" was the RPO's simple response.  The look on their faces was priceless when they were told the ticket office was open so they should've bought a ticket before boarding.  It seemed so much like a role reversal: all the young people had tickets, yet there were more "honest looking" people further down the carriage who also received penalty fares.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2010, 23:29:14 »

And here's what I find slightly depressing...

Were those middle-aged ladies to write to the Daily Mail or their local rag, no doubt there would be a headline about the outright injustice of two honest, pillar-of-the-community WI members being "fined" by FGW (First Great Western) when they had every intention of paying their fare, honestly they did, it's just very confusing this "buying a ticket" malarkey and there was someone in front of them at the booking office and you really can't expect them to wait or use a machine can you, not at their age?

And yet, were it to be someone younger, ideally wearing a hoodie, I don't see any of the mee-ja picking up on the story since no doubt to them it would be a case of "hoodie scum get their comeuppance".

Discuss.  Undecided

PS 2X56 probably just a remnant of whatever it was last time he remembered to set it! In my limited experience of Thames Valley RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) they don't bother to set it to anything other than 0X00 or 0X01.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 23:34:42 by inspector_blakey » Logged
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2010, 13:35:39 »

The RP team has been somewhat increased lately from what I can gather, so expect to see a lot more of it!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2010, 16:20:38 »

The RP team has been somewhat increased lately from what I can gather, so expect to see a lot more of it!
good.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2010, 23:24:51 »

Whilst I am in full support in Revenue Collection - Infact I pointed out to a Guard this evening, a faredodger who judging by their belongings, clearly had enough time to stock up on cigs and booze. But not enough time to buy a ticket, and then proceeded to completely ignore an "All Tickets" request. The matter was promptly dealt with and they were not happy in coughing up their fare, but did so eventually.

Anyway I'm really sorry if i'm going to open a tin of worms here. But does there become a point in where FGW (First Great Western) employ say 10 RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s on a ^20,000 salary for example, that then actually costs more than the lost revenue in the first place?! I'm possibly not aware of how much faredodging goes on across the network and I know I will be shot for this suggestion. But it is merely a simple question Wink Lips sealed Undecided

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2010, 23:32:43 »

Whilst I am in full support in Revenue Collection - Infact I pointed out to a Guard this evening, a faredodger who judging by their belongings, clearly had enough time to stock up on cigs and booze. But not enough time to buy a ticket, and then proceeded to completely ignore an "All Tickets" request. The matter was promptly dealt with and they were not happy in coughing up their fare, but did so eventually.

Anyway I'm really sorry if i'm going to open a tin of worms here. But does there become a point in where FGW (First Great Western) employ say 10 RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s on a ^20,000 salary for example, that then actually costs more than the lost revenue in the first place?! I'm possibly not aware of how much faredodging goes on across the network and I know I will be shot for this suggestion. But it is merely a simple question Wink Lips sealed Undecided

On an incredibly simplistic level...assuming a salary of GBP20,000, then that means an RPI needs to raise 1,000 "base line" penalty fares at GBP 20 in a year to pay for themselves. Assume roughly 200 working days a year and that's 5 per shift. No idea how many an RPI would generally issue but that sounds like a reasonable number to me. Plus they are a more general deterrent to ticketless travel, since the threat of them may well make people buy tickets rather than "risk it".

Then of course there's the issue that in addition to the penalty fare, the RPI may also charge the full standard fare to the passenger's destination if they wish to remain on the same train. And that some penalty fares may be considerably more than GBP20.00, since the PF (Penalty Fare) amount is either that or twice the single fare to the next station, whichever is the greater.

Bottom line is that I'm fairly sure the accountants at FGW towers are savvy enough to ensure that these staff are going to pay for themselves!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2010, 23:55:28 »

On an incredibly simplistic level...assuming a salary of GBP20,000, then that means an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) needs to raise 1,000 "base line" penalty fares at GBP 20 in a year to pay for themselves. Assume roughly 200 working days a year and that's 5 per shift.

RPI's are certainly paid more than ^20k basic and then there is the commission per ticket too, but assuming that was their salary, 1,000 x ^20 fares would not pay for the RPI, as surely FGW (First Great Western) would not get the ^20,000 to pay the RPI in this case as such a high % per ticket goes to the Government, and then that is assuming that 'ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services)' don't hand some more of the ticket revenue to other TOCS as appropriate.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16
  Print  

Jump to: