Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:16:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: London Travelcards  (Read 7269 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2010, 15:13:50 »

I've got some Southern advance tickets for later in the year.  I'm looking for the cheapest way to buy a London Travelcard, valid for Zones 1-4.  The TfL» (Transport for London - about) sites says ^6.30.

I've just keyed into the NFM (National Fares Manual): LONDON TERMINALS (1072) to LONDON ZONES 1-6 (0035) with a 16-25 Railcard and it comes up as ^5.00.

Is it possible to just visit a railway station and ask for a ticket from 1072 to 0035 with a railcard?  Or would this need to be purchased with a ticket to London?  SN said you can't add travelcards onto their advance fares.

I haven't used public transport in London for over 10 years (good old Shank's pony!) and don't plan to again in the near future, so an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card isn't much use.

TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack (aka "mini-stroke"))
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 15:27:21 »

You can only get a Railcard discount for One Day Travelcards if you purchase them from National Rail outlets - underground stations and underground TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s will not give the discount.

If you can't get one on departure (although I've never had a problem requesting one at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) with my DSB railcard - without needing to show my ticket to London), then on arrival at your London Terminus (Victoria?) just go to a National Rail TVM, you should be able to purchase a One Day Travelcard with the railcard discount from there.

You may as well get a Zones 1-6 with your Railcard - It's still a fiver.

If you are travelling to London more than a couple of times a year it may be worth getting an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card and having your Railcard discount loaded onto it. Daily price capping means if you only need to travel Zones 1-2 you'll pay ^3.70, Zones 1-4 ^4.15. Zones 1-6 is the same as the paper Travelcard - ^5.00
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 15:42:27 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 16:25:37 »

Thanks - just had a look at the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card.  They only want a ^3 refundable deposit, so I'll probably go for this.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 17:26:10 »

I was impressed with the price of ^5 valid all zones 1-6 when last in London with my railcard.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 14:10:02 »

I see there's talk of introducing a Zone 7 now.

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2010/02/mayors-office-considers-zone-7.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 14:51:18 by Phil » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 14:26:51 »

There's already Zones 7,8,9 in the north-west corner of the TfL» (Transport for London - about) network. So more a case of extending the coverage of zone 7 perhaps?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 14:40:15 »

The problem they'll have, as usual, is that the current zone 6 is (in general terms) the outer limit of the GLA's responsibilities. Obviously for historic reasons in the NW of London, the underground happened to go over the 'political' boundary, which is why there are zones 7 8 and 9. But there are other anomalies such as Watford Junction, which is zone 'W' - it appears on the tube map as 'special fares apply'.  There is also a zone G - where there are a few stations on the c2c lines just outside the zone 6 boundary.  Anywhere the zonal area steps 'over the border', the GLA are no longer responsible for subsidies, and you can bet the likes of Surrey CC aren't going to cough up. How many boundary transport authorities are there - I wonder?

A good example of the arbitrary nature of the existing boundary is at Epsom, where the main station is a junction between two lines, basically SWT (South West Trains) and SN routes, and it is the obvious route between zonal stations such as Ewell East and West, but paper tickets are needed... 

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 14:48:46 »

Thanks - just had a look at the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card.  They only want a ^3 refundable deposit, so I'll probably go for this.

For only ^3 the Oyster card is worth having.  Appart from being slightly cheaper for many tickets, its also a lot easier to use (just remember to touch in and out even when barriers are abscent or open).

Buy one from the tube ticket office at Victoria.  It will only take them half a minute to issue it.   IIUIC, you can "load" your rail card onto the Osyter card so you get RC discounts automatically when applicable.  (ask when you buy it).

Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 14:59:05 »

I live just outside the Greater London boundary in Potters Bar.  Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) cards can be used on LT buses in most of Potters Bar.  It cost me an extra ^1.10 yesterday to travel the extra two stops to the one at the end of my road.  It would be handy to be able to use it on rail between Potters Bar and London.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: