Great Exhibition opens (*)

Train RunningShort Run
17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 00:25:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trip report - Potters Bar to Worcester Foregate Street, 22/2/10  (Read 9214 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 00:45:33 »

As I said, FGW (First Great Western) were getting to grips with the Class 180 fleet's peccadillos just as they went hither and thither. Splitting the small fleet to the four winds no doubt compounded the remaining problems.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 03:27:50 »

Perhaps I was just lucky, but I don't think in many, many journeys I was ever delayed due to a problem with an Adelante.

Arriva Trains Wales seems to have got to grips with the 175 fleet as well - fraught with teething problems but after 10 years they finally seem to have settled down and are giving pretty good service.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:54 »

The Adelantes were also 3 times more expensive to run than a turbo, and dearer than an HST (High Speed Train).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:12 »

Perhaps I was just lucky, but I don't think in many, many journeys I was ever delayed due to a problem with an Adelante.

Boy, you *were* lucky!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:32 »

Same here, except for one journey when I was stranded at Foregate because FGW (First Great Western) had forgotten to fill it up with diesel - which could equally happen to an HST (High Speed Train) or Turbo!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 11:34:19 »

As I said, FGW (First Great Western) were getting to grips with the Class 180 fleet's peccadillos just as they went hither and thither. Splitting the small fleet to the four winds no doubt compounded the remaining problems.

No, what you said was
FGW got rid of them just as they started working properly
- not that they were getting to grips with them. Bit of a difference. And even if they were "getting to grips" with them, I would hardly regard that as a triumph after eight years of working with 180s. And the evidence of Hull Trains' experiences suggests that FGW were not getting to grips with them, just glad to be shot of them. HT (Hull Trains) should have reaped the benefit of trains that were "working properly".

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s experience with the 175s is hardly any more encouraging. Compare the 175/180s with any Turbostar, or the 220/221 fleet, in terms of mechanical reliability and it's clear that the Alstom products left a lot to be desired.

And when they broke down, it wasn't even always clear what was wrong with them. My breakdown experience came one evening just after leaving Charlbury, when we came to a halt with the fire alarm going. There was much stuff drifting up from underneath coach B which could have been smoke, so we were all moved to the rear of the train while firefighters were called. Eventually they and the driver decided it was steam from a broken hose, due to a cooling system fault, and we scuttled off to Moreton on the remaining engines, then the train was terminated.

I suspect that a large part of the inflated operating costs was down to the sheer amount of time being spent trying to keep them working. At least the 180s did deliver on the words of an FGW press release in December 2004 "delivering InterCity quality and comfort to the route throughout the day".

No danger of anyone accusing FGW of doing that now, with the steady march back to the pre-December 2004 situation, with the 166s back in force, also to the detriment of the Reading-Gatwick service, where the extra luggage space meant they were far more suitable than 165s. Quite how FGW has run short of HSTs (High Speed Train) at times recently when several sets presumably acquired to cover Cotswold workings in place of 180s are no longer being used baffles me.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 11:44:49 »

FGW (First Great Western) are very glad to be shot of them.

The HSTs (High Speed Train) suffered in the snow - although availability is getting back to 'normal' now.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 12:02:16 »

I know they suffered in the snow, but when FGW (First Great Western) already has 118 or so power cars with only 53 sets of HST (High Speed Train) coaches and several of those sets are no longer needed in service on a daily basis due to Turbo-isation on the Cotswold Line, never mind those sets routinely allocated for maintenance and as stand-bys, it suggests an alarmingly high casualty rate if they still couldn't get enough sets fit for duty each day.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 12:09:38 »

I'm not so sure about the 'no longer needed' - they're all still in uise on a daily basis....
willc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 12:25:00 »

Where? I haven't noticed anyone else getting extra HST (High Speed Train) services and I thought the whole point of Turbo-isation on the Cotswold Line was to cut operating costs, which presumably would mean not using those more expensive-to-run HSTs, full stop.

If you're saying FGW (First Great Western) is still paying to keep them working somewhere, day in, day out, then maybe we could have them back on the Cotswold Line, to give us that "InterCity quality and comfort throughout the day" that we were promised, at the very least on trains where the capacity would come in handy, like the 08.58 from Malvern, which continues to have an extra Turbo added at Oxford, even after the introduction of the 09.29 from Moreton.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:14 »

There's a noticeable lack of 2+8 sets around at the moment.  Hopefully the fleet will be back to full strength in time for the summer crush...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 16:56:57 »

Boy, you *were* lucky!
I agree with ChrisB - you must have been very lucky.

Nice interiors (much much better than the revamped HSTs (High Speed Train)), but it would've been nicer if they'd worked.

When they went wrong, it was so wonderfully difficult to access the bits that had failed. Attached are a couple of photos of one that's broken down at Moreton. First picture shows FGW (First Great Western) staff having a discussion outside. Eventually they managed to move it to outside the platform so that the driver could open the panels so as to get inside. That's him in the second picture. I didn't manage to get him while he was on his mobile to the Adelante breakdown centre, but that's obviously the 'trouble-shooting' section of the driver's manual alongside him, presumably kept in a glove compartment in the cab.

Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 17:00:44 »

And there was the one that was disabled by a head-on collision with a pigeon.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 17:48:56 »

And the one I was on whose doors flew open in a carriage whilst going through airport junction

However aparrt from that and some issues with air con and noise - I'd take them over a turbo!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: