15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:10:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance fares specific trains  (Read 7774 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 15:05:52 »

... TfL» (Transport for London - about) do however allow you to use Lancaster Gate for Paddington and  Embankment for Waterloo and other tube stations which are within a sensible walking distance of the London Terminal (and the automatic gates will allow that too).

The logic isn't that clever I'm afraid. A magstripe ticket that allows cross London travel is good for any one entrance at a long list of stations, and one exit anywhere on the same list of stations.

So it isn't actually allowing you to use Embankment because it is near Waterloo, it allows it because it is on the list. (Being one of two stations appropriate for Charing Cross.)  There is no test to compare the LU entry and exit stations with the National Rail journey you are making, so in extremis you could walk for instance from Paddington to Liverpool St, enter the underground and head for Victoria, leave the underground and then walk to Cannon St. Stupid, but the tickets would work. 
Aldgate, Amersham, Baker Street, Balham, Bank, Barking, Blackfriars, Blackhorse Road, Cannon Street, Charing Cross, Ealing Broadway, Edgware Road, Elephant & Castle, Embankment, Euston, Euston Square, Farringdon, Finsbury Park, Greenwich, Highbury & Islington, Kensington Olympia, Kentish Town, King^s Cross/St Pancras, Lancaster Gate, Limehouse, Lewisham, Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Marylebone, Moorgate, New Cross Gate, Old Street, Paddington, Queens Park, Richmond, Seven Sisters, Southwark, Stratford, Tottenham Hale, Tower Hill, Vauxhall, Upminster, Walthamstow Ctl, Waterloo, West Brompton, West Ham, West Hampstead, Wimbledon, Victoria.

Paul

Absolutely right about the automatic gates and thank for finding the list of stations.  Just because gate allows it doesn't mean it is allowed though.  The law requires a cross-london transfer to be a reasonable (ie, at least not rediculous) route from one terminus to the other. 
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 16:23:53 »

Absolutely right about the automatic gates and thank for finding the list of stations.  Just because gate allows it doesn't mean it is allowed though.  The law requires a cross-london transfer to be a reasonable (ie, at least not rediculous) route from one terminus to the other. 

Agreed - I should have added that to my post as well. In fact the wording in the old paper NFM98 was 'valid for travel between any two of the following stations appropriate to the route of the through rail journey being made.'

I think it's clear that programming the LU gates to deal with all possible routing permutations would be a nightmare. There is a similar problem with NR» (Network Rail - home page) gates -people regularly suggest that they should be able to cope with breaks of journey, but the processing power required for all possible permutations at all stations would again be massive.

Paul
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 17:38:14 »

Newton Abbot to Barking used to be a regular journey for me in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  On some occasions a journey plan was issued at the station and it told me get the London Underground to Tower Hill and then c2c from Fenchurch Street to Barking.  This is despite the availability of a direct LUL (London Underground Ltd) service from Paddington to Barking.  I don't believe I was breaking the terms of any ticket by simply staying on the LUL train all the way to Barking.

On other occasions I would go from Newton Abbot to Romford.  First Great Eastern as it was then ran a high frequency metro service from Liverpool Street to Shenfield and if I got across London quicker than expected it seemed pointless to wait 20 minutes for the metro train on the plan when there was another leaving in 2 minutes and in some cases a fast train.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 18:04:46 »

Don't take what I say as gospel, but from what I can gather you can travel on any journey to complete your journey that does not have a mandatory seat reservation. This is meant for the service you have to be on. Obviously having many hours difference may cause problems but I have enountered no problems previously as long as I stick to the booked train I have the mandatory reservation for.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: