Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 05:44:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby Internationals in Cardiff and Friday evening train services  (Read 8351 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 17:30:48 »

FGW (First Great Western) are helping transport you home with a number of additional services. (Unlike Arriva)

Runs 26/02/10 Only (from Cardiff Central)
22:00 London Paddington
22:08 Swansea
22:26 London Paddington
22:50 Bristol Temple Meads
22:57 Swansea
23:02 London Paddington
23:15 Bristol Temple Meads
23:26 Swansea
23:30 Bristol Temple Meads
00:22 Swansea
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 21:57:07 »

Sorry about the result of the match, to all our Welsh members here.  Sad

Details on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page).

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IanC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 22:12:10 »

Live departures on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s website says there's a train at 23:35 and 00:01 going to Cardiff Central. . . . . . . . from Cardiff Central  Cheesy

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 22:48:04 »

Live departures on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s website says there's a train at 23:35 and 00:01 going to Cardiff Central. . . . . . . . from Cardiff Central  Cheesy

Those two trains also arrive at CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) at the same time! Perhaps it's crowd control measures, moving pax from platform 3a to 3b!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 22:58:43 »

2335 Cardiff - Ebbw Vale
and
0001 Cardiff - Barry Island

It's an error on the NRE(resolve) system
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 23:38:25 »

Sorry about the result of the match, to all our Welsh members here.  Sad

Details on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page).

Thanks for your commiserations Chris. Thankfully I just caught the Shane Williams try as I was leaving to make sure I got the last train back to Nailsea.

It's good that FGW (First Great Western) put on additional services, but they could publicise them better. I was hunting on their website for details of additional services yesterday, but couldn't find any. There were some in the queue tonight for Bristol TM(resolve) who were convinced there wasn't a late train back to Swindon.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 16:21:35 »

A rather better result from today's game, though.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:29 »

Indeed, thank you Chris. Though my Italian friends left 10 minutes early (and so missed their try).

The queuing was very efficient after the match as usual, and although most eastbound trains were leaving a few minutes late due to the crowds, I think the railways should be commended for how they handle the whole operation (at least the main lines - can't comment on the Valley Lines).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 17:48:21 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Thousands of rugby fans will be inconvenienced by the late kick off time of next year's Wales v England Six Nations clash, says a train operator.
The Friday match on 4 February is the curtain raiser for the championship and kicks off at 1945 GMT.
Arriva Trains Wales said it was a "very inconvenient time for the thousands of fans that will watch the game".
The Welsh Rugby Union said it had fully consulted South Wales Police about staging Friday night matches.
In a statement, Arriva Trains Wales said it was "disappointed that a late kick off time of 1945 had been announced for the Wales v England Six Nations game". The train operator said: "With such a late finish, travel options home after the game will be limited, especially for the many making longer journeys such as to north Wales."
WRU chairman David Pickering admitted Friday night kick offs were not ideal but said they were a way of "progressing the game of rugby" and generated funds for the whole of the game in Wales. He added: "Before we consider what we do, we take into our confidence the South Wales Police, and I must say the police force in south Wales are very supportive of the vast majority of things we do at the Millennium Stadium, but we fully consulted them. We also consulted them about the potential of having Saturday games late on Saturday nights, and we listened to them, and we have been advised by them that the Saturday night fixture is not the wisest time to put an international match on because of the policing requirements. We do have a positive feedback in terms of the Friday night game."
Wales fans on rugby message boards gave a mixed response to the decision to play the game on a Friday night. One supporter said it was a "great idea" because fans could go to the game and still play rugby for their own team on a Saturday.
However, others complained the decision was based on generating money, and made it difficult for fans who lived elsewhere to return home on public transport.
Six Nations games have traditionally been played on Saturdays and, more recently, Sundays but Friday night fixtures were introduced last year.
The first Friday fixture saw France host Wales in Paris in 2009, while the same fixture this year in Cardiff was also on a Friday night.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 17:53:58 »

It's purely for the TV schedulers to avoid too many matches on one day. Most fans I spoke to at the Friday night match this year would rather have had a Sat or Sun match.

It makes it really difficult, as if you can't guarantee getting a train home then you'll make alternative arrangements (ie drive). And it's unreasonable to expect the train companies to run services into the night to clear the crowds.   
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 18:02:58 »

It's really something that during the last Friday night game in Wales, FGW (First Great Western) ran a few extras whilst ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) did not (Though the problem with stock positioning and strenghthening other services doesn't help Arriva) This is poorly thought out though as more importantly than Welsh fans spoken about in the report, how are English fans supposed to get home which is far more difficult at that time. This is likely to be fantastic news for hotels and coach companies but rail will suffer as a result.

On a side note on Wales international matches, very few if any rugby games are played so that argument was pointless so I am struggling to see the benefit of this
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 18:10:42 »

Quite simply the TOCs (Train Operating Company) should, and I know they don't so don't criticise me for saying it, have sufficent rolling stock and staff to cater for mass transport on a weekday evening at 2230. Many additional services would be the norm on the Continent for such an occurance.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 20:49:41 »

It's really something that during the last Friday night game in Wales, FGW (First Great Western) ran a few extras whilst ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) did not (Though the problem with stock positioning and strenghthening other services doesn't help Arriva) This is poorly thought out though as more importantly than Welsh fans spoken about in the report, how are English fans supposed to get home which is far more difficult at that time. This is likely to be fantastic news for hotels and coach companies but rail will suffer as a result.

On a side note on Wales international matches, very few if any rugby games are played so that argument was pointless so I am struggling to see the benefit of this

Did you mean the argument about not missing club rugby games, or the TV scheduling of 2 or 3 matches on one day? 

It also means fans travelling from more than two hours or so away (so the majority of England fans) will also have to take at the very least the afternoon off work to travel to Cardiff, so all in all they will be highly inconvenienced.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 21:04:31 »

My apologies, but - with the benefit of hindsight - I should have combined these related topics when I posted earlier.  Embarrassed

However, it's not too late - so I've now done so!  Wink

matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 21:16:53 »

Did you mean the argument about not missing club rugby games, or the TV scheduling of 2 or 3 matches on one day? 

It also means fans travelling from more than two hours or so away (so the majority of England fans) will also have to take at the very least the afternoon off work to travel to Cardiff, so all in all they will be highly inconvenienced.

I should have clarified by saying club games sorry. Obviously club games rarely take place as people are travelling to games, WRU wants people to watch the Welsh team etc. Only people that really benefit are people that live within a couple hours at most from Cardiff
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: