22:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:40:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[71] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[23] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 142 Pacers in service on Devon branch lines, 2007 to 2011 - merged topic  (Read 153840 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2007, 08:17:31 »

I'm not - *quite* - so sure having reviewed his / her five posts.  Differing views and a drole sense of humour, I'm sure ... but I can find a home for 2 x 142 units - The 06:00 and hourly to 21:00 services from Westbury to Swindon, and 07:10 and hourly to 22:10 returns ... yes, these are trains that don't currently run, but Wiltshire Council (seen under FOI (Freedom of Information)) has revelaed them to be an appropriate level of service.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2007, 09:17:17 »

no they really are that stupid, they bid far too much for the franchise and are now panicking.
Glad someone else agrees!

They are certainly in a position on this franchise that they cannot provide anything like the same level of service that they're providing on TransPenine and in Scotland ... and that's from an authoritative source within the company.   Talking to me about how routes have a service to which descriptions such as "shameful" could be applied.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2007, 10:28:14 »

We received a similiar tip - off last December / January , around the time of the temporary bustitution of the Looe Valley and St Ives branchlines due to "a shortage of serviceable trains" (in fact , they had been nicked by Andrew Griffiths in order to "safeguard" Bristol services.)

Some more on the Looe & St. Ive's Branch Closures

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=111
I notice this is not posted on the front page like the last letter was...

Rail replacement transport on the Looe Valley and St Ives branchlines.
Below is a letter from Glenda Lamont, Customer Services Director, apologising for the withdrawal of the train service and replacement road transport on the Looe Valley and St Ives branchline.

Dear Customer,

I regret to inform you that services on this branchline will be replaced by road transport up to and including Friday 12 january.

We have had to withdraw train services on this line due to a shortage of serviceable trains.

I would like to apologise for the fact that we have had to introduce this alternative service. I assure you that this issue is receiving our urgent attention and that customers will see a continual improvement in the provision of First Great Western services.

Glenda Lamont
Customer Services Director

Anyone have any sense of their long-term plan?

To save money.

Quote from elsewhere:
"Simply look at the buses parked outside the stations as the 158s go to store at Eastleigh. I also refer you to Mr. Armitt's public statement made to the Guardian just before Christmas, made at the same time as we were being told to plan in buses on certain routes. This was also mentioned by the current DfT» (Department for Transport - about) head of the Rail Department.
The bus replacement started last Thursday. The GW (Great Western) Franchise is seen as the testbed for all the others. It also suits the Governments aim in curbing the leasing companies if they can force their assets into periods of non-earning storage.
Some 60 lines across the UK (United Kingdom) were seen as prime candidates for trains being replaced by buses. These 60 routes include Exmouth-Barnstaple via Exeter, The Looe Branch, Gunnislake Branch, Newquay Branch and even the St. Ives Branch (This last one even in Winter is well loaded). It is simple economics according to the Whitehall crowd. Even with packed trains every day, buses and even taxis are cheaper in terms of pounds spent. No train leases to pay, no track to maintain (and repair after flooding), less staff to employ, less safety regulation to enforce, and no risk to Labour seats, as most of the areas affected have no Labour MPs (Member of Parliament).
Either someone else pays or it shuts.
It is then cheaper to subsidise buses for a year or two, until ridership on those becomes so low, that they too can be withdrawn on the grounds of no demand."

So there you have it. Of course it doesn't have to be like this. In British Rail days the annual rail subsidy was approximately ^1 billion but since privatisation this has soared to somewhere in the region of ^5 billion. Hardly surprising really when you split one organisation (BR (British Rail(ways))) into 100 pieces. In a nutshell the current organisation of the railways is expensive to run and always will be. What the politicians need to be doing is coming up with an alternative organisation that costs less money to run. If they could do that then all the threatened lines could probably stay open. Instead they've decided to try close some lines and leave the expensive-to-run organisation in place. Welcome to Britain.

no they really are that stupid, they bid far too much for the franchise and are now panicking. that wasn't from customer services, it was from management.

I know this isnt the quiz section , but here's a question for you all :

Who said the following in November 2005?

"We^ve put in a stunning bid for Greater Western. I^d be gobsmacked if we don^t win it, but I guess somebody might have come in with a crazy bid."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2007, 10:58:01 »

I have back problems, and have NEVER had an issue with the 142 Wink
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2007, 11:07:08 »

Quote from: Lee Fletcher

"We^ve put in a stunning bid for Greater Western. I^d be gobsmacked if we don^t win it, but I guess somebody might have come in with a crazy bid."
Andrew Haines, when he was still with SWT (South West Trains)!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2007, 11:33:08 »

Andrew Haines, when he was still with SWT (South West Trains)!

Close. It was Andrew Haines , after he had been put in charge of First Group^s rail operations (link below.)
http://railpro.co.uk/issues/pdfs/nov05haines.pdf

Some other very interesting quotes in there as well.....

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2007, 15:49:31 »

Quote from: spineinjury
The 142s are not arriving in time (will they ever?) and an "emergency" timetable will be put in place come the 9th December

This from a named source:

Quote from: Julian Crow
The rumour mill never fails to disappoint, and certainly seems to have been working well about the 142s!

Confirming our earlier conversation, there is absolutely no foundation for this story. We are due to receive the full allocation of 12 of the units (more are en-route this weekend), and will implement the 8 diagrams as from the December timetable.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2007, 15:52:22 »

Lets hope Julian is correct , and we dont get a repeat of last year.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2007, 15:52:58 »

Last I heard from a manager is that only 10 158's going back, BUT to East Midlands Trains and Scotrail, Northern are having to take some of their 142's out of store for their own use? that didn't come from a great source though (not a senior manager).
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2007, 15:55:15 »

I think the worst feature of the 142's that we've aquired is that they still have bus seats! if they refurbished them then they would probably be OK.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2007, 15:55:26 »

Last I heard from a manager is that only 10 158's going back, BUT to East Midlands Trains and Scotrail, Northern are having to take some of their 142's out of store for their own use? that didn't come from a great source though (not a senior manager).

Andrew Griffiths says its 10 going back , and the rest of the above quote is doing the rounds on more than one forum at the moment.

Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2007, 16:15:17 »

Andrew Griffiths says its 10 going back , and the rest of the above quote is doing the rounds on more than one forum at the moment.
If only 10 158's go we already have four more units than we thought we'd lose, with 150/1's so we might be in luck if all the 142's turn up.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2007, 16:28:14 »

This from a named source:

Wearing my Global Moderator hat :

We dont mind if members dont name their sources (there are often good reasons for not doing so) but we do prefer if members make it clear whether information is a rumour or something more than that.

Virtually all of you adhere to this anyway.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2007, 17:31:09 »

It was said at the time that National Express walked away from continued negoiations over this franchise. Hmmmm I wonder why?Huh??

First HAD to keep this franchise and appeared to have been willing to pay any price for it. GW (Great Western) was their jewel in the crown as it was their only IC (Inter City) London line (i.e Profitable!) in their franchise portfolio at the time and had to take on the Wessex part as it was an all or nothing deal. Of course as well all know its the Wessex part of this franchise that causes most of FGW (First Great Western)'s problems and where they thought they could make the biggest cuts because its the loss making part of the franchise. And yes, for all you London commuters I know your Thames services ain't too great either.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 17:37:52 by Timmer » Logged
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2007, 17:48:49 »

Exactly.

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) 142s are not bad for the journeys they do, a 142 has bus seats and timekeeping between Exeter and Torquay will ne appauling if accleration is like anything I have heard...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: