18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 03:13:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 142 Pacers in service on Devon branch lines, 2007 to 2011 - merged topic  (Read 153810 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2007, 18:07:56 »

To remove a car on the 180s would probably require a massive rewrite of the computer. 1 less engine etc and generally new trains use computers for such silly things.
I'd say better to keep the first class carriage and bring first class back to this line. You may get business travellers using the service between Cardiff-Bristol-Southampton if first class is returned.
Westernchallenger

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2007, 09:23:26 »

There are a number of platforms on the Cardiff Portsmouth route that are too short for 5 cars - Trowbridge in the Bristol direction and Warminster for example. However, Adelantes do have SDO (Selective Door Opening) so it should be possible for them to call at short length platforms as they do at e.g. Kintbury and Bedwyn.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2007, 17:43:47 »

There are a number of platforms on the Cardiff Portsmouth route that are too short for 5 cars - Trowbridge in the Bristol direction and Warminster for example. However, Adelantes do have SDO (Selective Door Opening) so it should be possible for them to call at short length platforms as they do at e.g. Kintbury and Bedwyn.
Welcome to the forum Westernchallenger.
Steve35

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2007, 22:47:57 »

As far as I could see in the evening gloom there were 6 x 142s on Exeter depot Sunday. One by the fuelling point, one inside the depot and four nearer to the station.

TJ

Another 3 were heading south today making a total of 9 so far.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2007, 20:19:13 »

As far as I could see in the evening gloom there were 6 x 142s on Exeter depot Sunday. One by the fuelling point, one inside the depot and four nearer to the station.

TJ

Latest rumour is that FGW (First Great Western) have secured an extra 5 142's, to take the total to 17(when they all arrive). Which units and where from I don't know. Should be no excuse for short formations in the new december workings, as the diagrams were based on 12 142's..........unless something else we haven't heard about is leaving us! Anyone else heard anything to back up this RUMOUR?
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2007, 00:25:02 »

Does anyone have a record of which individual units were originally allocated to the West Country in the eighties?

TJ
Steve35

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2007, 22:54:33 »

Does anyone have a record of which individual units were originally allocated to the West Country in the eighties?

TJ

142015-142027 I think.
Steve35

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2007, 22:57:18 »

Another three 142s came south on 1st December making a total of 12.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2007, 23:12:57 »

TJ

Latest rumour is that FGW (First Great Western) have secured an extra 5 142's, to take the total to 17(when they all arrive). Which units and where from I don't know. Should be no excuse for short formations in the new december workings, as the diagrams were based on 12 142's..........unless something else we haven't heard about is leaving us! Anyone else heard anything to back up this RUMOUR?

could be as a result of northern 142s that get doubled to make up for capacity that the 158's now do as 1 unit? Plus iirc northern are moving 20 into storage (inc fgw's 12)

Will be interesting to see what happens...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 23:15:44 by Shazz » Logged
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2007, 08:05:00 »

Northern were going to move the 142's in to store but they were forced to give them to FGW (First Great Western).
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2007, 20:10:31 »

At least one 142 was in traffic around Exeter today, any stories??
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2007, 20:34:32 »

142064 did the 15:55 BNP (Barnstaple) to EXM today Smiley Am hearing rumors of one causing chaos on the Barny branch, but no further details at present....
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2007, 21:21:28 »

Quote from: oooooo
142064 did the 15:55 BNP (Barnstaple) to EXM today Smiley Am hearing rumors of one causing chaos on the Barny branch, but no further details at present....

142023 worked the 0841 Barnstaple-Exmouth (it left Barnstaple full and standing), which (I've heard) failed somewhere after Exeter.
Touch wood it's not a 142 on the 0841 tomorrow...

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
TJ

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2007, 21:22:58 »

I had to go up to Exeter this morning and as usual I headed for Topsham with a view to catching the 11:02 (10:50 from Exmouth). On walking over the level crossing I noticed that the Exmouth bound 10:32 service was sat waiting patiently at the signal, so I quickly bought myself a ticket from the machine and waited. Another traveller came forward with the information the 10:33 Exeter bound train was 20 to 25 minutes late.

At around 10:55 in trundled 142028 but with only the front carriage in use; the rear car was empty apart from two members of staff riding shotgun to ensure that no passengers entered. Speaking to the person sitting next to me I established that the train had failed at Lympstone and had sat there for twenty minutes. At some point all the passengers in the rear car had been asked to move to the front car, after which the train was restarted. In itself that doesn^t make too much sense and there must be more to the story. Anyway we proceeded to Exeter Central where the train was terminated in bay platform One, a rare use of this platform.

FGW (First Great Western) had, to their credit, sent up a dog box (153370) to Platform 3 and those, like me, who were heading for St Davids transferred across for this leg. The 153 terminated at St Davids and what had happened to the onward service to Paignton I know not. The interior of the 153 was disgusting, I have seen better vehicles in a car scrap yard. This standard is just not acceptable.

Going back to the 142, being my first experience I was interested to observe the ride quality, noise level and interior. On the first leg from Topsham the ride over the 60^ jointed track as far as the M5 bridge was awful, much more of that and nausea bags would have been needed. I feared the worst for the next section of jointed track from beyond Digby to Polsloe but the ride was not bad at all, certainly it would be difficult to complain about. The overall noise level was far better than what I remember from travelling on the 143s in the Bristol and Cardiff areas or on 144s in the north. Perhaps the fact that I was somewhat bunged up with a heavy cold had something to do with it. Remarkably I did not hear a single wheel squeal. Whilst the bus seats are far from inviting it would be harsh to say that they would be uncomfortable over short journeys and the visibility from them is excellent unlike other FGW seats that I could mention.

On this short experience it looks like the unreliability factor is likely to be the main bone of contention but I want to experience a few more trips over the whole of Exmouth Branch before drawing too many conclusions. I am sure that Exeter Depot will do their utmost to provide a reliable service but it may well a ^mission impossible^ which will be just that; only time will tell.

As best as I could see there are still only nine 142 units at Exeter but as they are tucked away here there and everywhere I can^t be sure on this.

--
TJ
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2007, 21:48:32 »

Many thanks for your report on your journey today. Without wishing to draw too many conclusions its not a very good start is it? My sympathies go out to all you who use the Exmouth-Barnstaple-Paignton lines. I have a feeling many stories of travelling woe on these lines are going to appear on this and other sites over the coming months.

Its certainly right that FGW (First Great Western) haven't raised the fares on these lines.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: