11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:00:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Luggage theft on trains in Cornwall (merged topics)  (Read 22504 times)
chrisoates

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 23:30:52 »

Beware the luggage thieves operating operating (at least) between Truro & Penzance.
Branch Line Connor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 23:36:59 »

Thats whay I don't put anything in those luggage racks at the end of the carriage, its so easy for anybody to take them at a stop.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 23:45:12 »

I was on an HST (High Speed Train) today where they asked people to keep their belongings with them at all time, whilst also providing luggage storage at the end of each carriage.. Huh
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 23:49:29 »

I was on an HST (High Speed Train) today where they asked people to keep their belongings with them at all time, whilst also providing luggage storage at the end of each carriage.. Huh

Yeah - I get that announcement all the time.

Journey of anywhere from 2 to 3.5 hours, solo female traveller, usually multiple bags - requires trips to buffet/ladies room.

I am so tempted as a joke to pack everything up and go to the buffet fully laden just to prove the point!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 20:55:30 »

Last time I was on an HST (High Speed Train) in Cornwall the train manager announced that we should keep any luggage (other than large items in the racks) with us at all times and that anything left unattended would be removed.  From that I understand that you are not longer allowed to leave bags on your seat when you go to the toilet/buffet car.  Annoying as without leaving anything there another person could take you seat but I understand the reasons for it.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 21:27:58 »

I guess if you ask someone to keep an eye on your bags while you're away from your seat then that is ok? As long as someone knows who the bags belong to then they're unlikely to be removed?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 22:25:38 »

I guess if you ask someone to keep an eye on your bags while you're away from your seat then that is ok? As long as someone knows who the bags belong to then they're unlikely to be removed?

That's certainly how it used to be.  These days, though, people worry about unattended baggage and whether there's a slight chance it might blow up ... I don't think there's an easy answer

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 23:01:47 »

It is all a bit silly though that you can't leave your smallish bags on your seat whilst you go and get a coffee (for example), yet if someone wanted to leave a really big bomb in a suitcase at the end of the carriage, then that appears to be just fine.. Shocked
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 23:25:10 »

Have people forgotten the 1980s?

We are never going to stop all the terrorist attacks - and that is assuming the government doesnt want some of the happen for political gain.

The minute we end up as paranoid as we are - they win.

And yes - I was in warrington on that day so I speak from experience.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 23:40:39 »

Hmm.  The Warrington bombings occurred in 1993 - and those bombs which killed two children there were placed in cast-iron litter bins in a shopping precinct.

I'm not sure quite what connection there is to items of luggage on trains, in that context?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 00:36:28 »

Hmm.  The Warrington bombings occurred in 1993 - and those bombs which killed two children there were placed in cast-iron litter bins in a shopping precinct.

I'm not sure quite what connection there is to items of luggage on trains, in that context?

The fact I think the whole population is over reacting to the alledged terror threat to the point where people are overly suspicious and being paranoid.

More chance of being run over by a bus.

You become suspicious of your fellow man and paranoid - the terrorists have won anyway even without killing anyone.  They have destroyed your normal way of life.

Chances of someone putting a bomb on an FGW (First Great Western) train - almost non existant unless a london tube style attack - but you cant prevent it without the above.

The reference to the warrington issue was to say I'm not just saying this - I WAS in an area attacked by terrorists - about 100yrds away from the bomb.  And being an irish scouser it was a wake up because it was always thought they would never attack their own and warrington was too close for comfort.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 00:58:06 »

Chances of someone putting a bomb on an FGW (First Great Western) train - almost non existant

The 2004 Madrid train bombings suggest otherwise ... thirteen bombs, placed on four commuter trains.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:32 »

Whilst terrorism may be an ever present, albeit small risk, you are statistically more likely to have your luggage nicked.

The balance of security versus freedom is a difficult conundrum and there are no simple answers. However the PA (Public Address) announcements to "keep your belongings with you at all times" do make it difficult to go to the buffet or toilet!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:56:37 »

I suppose a length of chain and a padlock would be interpreted as chaining a bomb to the luggage rack   Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26:27 »

BTP (British Transport Police) do have some success in catching thieves: from a press release -

A man has been arrested and charged in connection with a series of thefts at Paddington station.

The charges relate to luggage thefts from trains that took place from 6 December to 23 December in the build up to Christmas.

Adam Newton, 21, of no fixed abode, was arrested at Paddington last night at around 9.15pm.

He was later charged with 13 counts of theft and is due to appear for a first hearing at City of Westminster Magistrates Courts today (Tuesday, 23 February).

The charges follow on from an appeal for information about the incidents, which ran in newspapers in January.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: