12:48 London Paddington to Swansea
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 15:14:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Traffic Control - So easy a kid can do it!!  (Read 2536 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 20:56:48 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

US officials are investigating how a child was apparently allowed to direct planes at New York's JFK airport - one of the country's busiest.

The probe comes after an audiotape caught the boy directing several pilots preparing for take-off last month.

In one exchange, the boy is heard saying: "JetBlue 171 contact departure." The pilot responds: "Over to departure JetBlue 171, awesome job."

The boy was apparently with his father - a certified air traffic controller.

The adult is later heard saying with a laugh: "That's what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school."

In another exchange, the child says: "MS 4-0-3, contact departure," and then adds: "Adios, amigo."

The pilot responds: "Adios, amigo."

The pilots on the tape appear to be not concerned that a child is giving them instructions.

The incident happened on 17 February, when many New York pupils were on a week-long break.

The age and name of the child and the adult on the audiotape were not immediately known.

The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement: "Pending the outcome of our investigation, the employees involved in this incident are not controlling air traffic.

"This behaviour is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from all FAA employees."

The agency did not give any further details.

The National Air Traffic Controllers Association said the incident was "not indicative of the highest professional standards that controllers set for themselves and exceed each and every day in the advancement of aviation safely".

There's an audio clip with the story on BBC News website.

OK, it's not rail related, but the story made me laugh and also concerned me at the same time.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 21:31:41 »

Apparently the air traffic controller and his supervisor have been temporarily suspended.   And it has been suggested that the boy has taken over the air traffic role while the investigation is underway  Grin

We may laugh - but in all seriousness things done casually like this ain't funny.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 21:39:53 »

Hmm.  See also a previous topic here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3165.0

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 13:15:14 »

There was this one too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 13:34:54 »

I bet there's a few railwaymen around who read that and went rather pale at the memory of having allowed their own children into a signal-box, or other off-limits environment, at some time or another.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 18:02:03 »

I remember pulling a few levers in Southampton Central and St Denys signal boxes, and setting a route or two in Eastleigh power box whilst being shown around. Presumably guided tours of such establishments would now be frowned upon. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 20:21:14 »

In the late 70's/early 80's when I was around 5-8 years old I used to accompany my uncle trainspotting at Taunton. On a couple of occasions I was lifted into the cab of a loco to toot the horn. Can't see even this being allowed today.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 00:00:03 »

In 1977, when I was in Sixth Form, we did an 'industrial archaeology' course.  Our slightly eccentric teacher managed to use the various 'field trips' which this involved, to obtain entry to all sorts of interesting places, under the guise of our 'education'.

I particularly remember one trip to the lovely old wooden signal box at Ashton Gate, where we were allowed - even encouraged - to pull various levers (under instruction from the cheery signalman) to set the points and signals, for a goods train being shunted down towards the Cumberland Basin.

Those levers took some shifting, we found - and there's a technique to it!  Our sometimes ineffective teenage enthusiasm was the source of mirth to the staff, I recall!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:31 »

However: on a rather more serious note - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

'Fake pilot' arrested moments before take-off

A Swedish pilot without a valid licence to fly has been arrested at Amsterdam as he was about to fly a jet with 101 passengers to Turkey, Dutch police say.
The 41-year-old man said he had been flying for European airlines for 13 years and had logged 10,000 hours.
Police said he once had a licence to fly small planes but it had expired and it did not allow him to fly large jets.
Reports say the man was relieved his long deception was uncovered and tore off his pilot's stripes in the cockpit.
Turkey's Corendon Airlines said he had been flying for the airline for two years and had "expertly misled the company with his false papers".
The airline said it had been alerted by police and had a pilot standing by to fly the Boeing 737 from Amsterdam's Schiphol airport to Ankara.
Dutch police were acting on a tip-off from Swedish authorities.
The man is in custody awaiting trial for forging documents and flying without a licence.

Shocked

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: