14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 14:50:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulling the cord  (Read 10726 times)
chrisoates

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 23:44:31 »

Acceptable reasons for pulling the communication cord - to stop an HST (High Speed Train) on Hayle viaduct expecting it to reverse to the platform as you couldn't (allegedly) open the door when the train was stopped at the platform.

I felt a bit sick when it happened assuming it was the driver doing the braking and someone had been hit.
jester

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 17:46:44 »

.....or just not paying any attention when the announcement TELLS you only certain doors will be able to be opened due to the short platform!!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 18:03:09 »

Reminds me of a time I was travelling on the Cotswold line (on a Saturday morning, in a train that seemed to have approximately 90% tweed-wearing crusties on board, but that's beside the point). We were on an Adelante, and initially heard an announcement asking the TM(resolve) to contact the driver. A minute or so later the TM made a slighly peevish announcement saying "please could all passengers note that you flush the toilets on this train by pushing the button marked 'flush', and not by pulling the handle marked 'alarm'?"! At least on the Adelantes it's not an immediate brake application like the HSTs (High Speed Train), so we didn't come to a shuddering halt in the Oxfordshire countryside.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 13:25:19 »

I think one problem is that non-regular passenegrs don't know about the short platforms in Cornwall.  I was on the down Riviera a couple of weeks ago - in coach H at the back - and the PA (Public Address) was very quiet.  The Train Manager didn't walk down the train after Plymouth and relied on a a sinlge announcement over the PA before each station.  There were 2 businessmen going to Redruth who didn't hear the PA about walking forward to coaches A-F (or whatever), and it was only because another passenger who saw them standing in the vestibule in coach H got up and advised them to walk forward that they did so.

I'm not condoning pulling the cord for a missed stop -after all St Erth is only 3 minutes after Hayle - but maybe the TM(resolve) could have done more to prevent the siutaion arising.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 14:32:33 »

There is at least one HST (High Speed Train) set where the PA (Public Address) in first is very ropey, yet interestingly it's fine in standard. (I was on it last night, and  an infrequent traveller would have had no idea that they had to move forward.) Of course, the SDO (Selective Door Opening) announcements are more relevant for pax in 1st who will always be off the end of the platform, so this set's deficiency is just asking for someone to miss their stop. Though shouldn't the TM(resolve) look out for people trying to open doors that aren't on the platform?     
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 20:47:52 by John R » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 14:55:59 »

I think one problem is that non-regular passenegrs don't know about the short platforms in Cornwall ....

I'm not condoning pulling the cord for a missed stop -after all St Erth is only 3 minutes after Hayle ....

Welcome to the forum, Gordon.

I'm not expressing an opinion as to whether or not it was a valid pull, but if the passengers are irregular and don't know that the platforms are short, they probably don't know it's just 3 minutes to St Erth either  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 15:15:13 »

[Though shouldn't the TM(resolve) look out for people trying to open doors that aren't on the platform?    
[/quote]
Well that leads on to a related issue which I suppose is off topic.  We were about 12 late from Plymouth and I had a 13 minute connection at St Erth, so I was watching the timekeeping. First stop at Liskeard was a full 3 minutes!! Maybe there were people there in the wrong coach and hanging out of locked doors (is it a short platform?).  Most other station stops were 90 seconds or more, just for a few people getting off.  It felt like the Driver was going hard to make up time, then we let it all go with long station times.

I made the connection OK.  Seems timetable is well padded west of Truro.

I'm sure it would help if the TM checked tickets after Plymouth and reminded those who needed reminding that they would need to walk forward.  Then we would have happy passengers and better timekeeping.
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 19:33:01 »

I was on a HST (High Speed Train) stopping at St Germans and the TM(resolve) said only coaches A-D would b unlocked. (despite being big enough for 6 coaches at least!) I'd be in a bit of a rush if i was in H wanted to get off!
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 20:21:50 »

Stations with short platforms are highlighted in the timetable and on the carriage destination stickers.

didn't they also used to be highlighted on the PISes too?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 21:59:04 »

Stations with short platforms are highlighted in the timetable and on the carriage destination stickers.

didn't they also used to be highlighted on the PISes too?

aah.. I always wondered why Maidenhead was higlighted on those stickers.. Do you have to stop and have a good read of them then to work out why or is it just me?  Grin Cheesy

Also, and it's something I've mentioned before.. When the annoucement comes over the train tannoy that only coaches A to F (or whatever) are ones you can only get off for a certain station. And if you're standing (squashed) in the door area.. You have no idea what carriage you are in as there are no signs.. I've worked it out now.. Get on the middle of the train and there shouldn't be problems.. What about the occasional traveller though...
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 23:00:40 »

You have no idea what carriage you are in as there are no signs..
Although annoying, this is something I like about Southern's announcements:
"Welcome aboard the Southern service to Southampton Central and Bongnor Regis, calling at ....  This train will divide at Horsham, coaches 1-4 will continue to Southampton Central, coaches 5-8 will continue to Bognor Regis.  This is coach 2 of 8."
Then a reminder after each station announcement: "This is coach 2 of 8."
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 23:13:55 »

I was on a HST (High Speed Train) stopping at St Germans and the TM(resolve) said only coaches A-D would b unlocked. (despite being big enough for 6 coaches at least!) I'd be in a bit of a rush if i was in H wanted to get off!

St Germans is Front 4 on the down and Rear 5 on the up...it doesnt matter how big the platform might be ,these are the designated coaches which can safely be unlocked at this station and this is decided by FGW (First Great Western) Competance Management

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 01:17:54 »

Just to fill in a few details - the TM(resolve) on leaving Plymouth gave a full announcement of short platforms and branch connections - he further announced arrival at all stations and repeated the 'short' warnings plus indicating in which direction the open doors would be.

At Hayle we were platformed with the 'cord puller' who had a luggage trolley that didn't fit the aisle - after stopping the train on the viaduct he said the door wouldn't open and stood by the door expecting the train to reverse for him - the TM (incredibly reasonably) said he would get him out of the rear carriage which was still platformed - 'cord puller' couldn't get down the aisle so the TM gave RA - 'puller' wasn't at all apologetic and made quite a fuss on the way to St Erth where a car was already waiting for him !!

Luckily the HST (High Speed Train) wasn't going any speed but it still stopped pretty quick and nobody fell over.   
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 02:14:19 »

One hopes that the the TM(resolve) took the details of this 'cord puller' so that a prosecution can be made for 'improper use' of the passcom.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 09:36:28 »

I story to demonstrate that sometimes cord-pullers get their just desserts.

Many years ago leaving Edinburgh with GNER (Great North Eastern Railways).  A goup of 5 very drunken rugby fans were on board returning to their digs at Berwick.  Much fussing with luggage resulted in them missing their stop,  Pass Com pulled and when TM(resolve) accounced (in a firm and serious voice) something like "would the person you pulled the alarm make themselves known to me as I pass through the train", they activated the emergency door release and exited the train onto the oposite track !! They then stubled along most of the length of our train with their oversized lugage.  Most of our train were watching them by this time and I was mighty releaved that they didn't get squashed by another train and strangely statisfied to watch them stumble up the platform ramp at Berwick to be met by two policemen waiting calmly at the top of the ramp.  IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) we even  made it to KX more or less on time.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: