Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:48:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1363855 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: April 03, 2013, 12:18:59 »

Is they layout to the East of the Station to be the final layout? Or will that be altered when the flyover is connected as well?

I reckon it's just about finished, especially on the reliefs side.  There are still some additional crossovers to add, it seems to me that the line towards P10 will need straightening when that platform is rebuilt in the autumn, and although the line through Platform 11 is not being installed yet, I'd be surprised if the relevant points outside the station and at least some of the the track towards it were not installed and placed out of use.

The track layout diagrams posted back on page 55 do show the finished layout (with some greyed out crossovers and P11 line as I mentioned) and it looks like there will be nothing else significant to do east of the station.

Future changes at the west end to re-align the up and down main over onto the viaduct, and add the freight/Newbury/XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) lines through the various underpasses should have no effect on the east end layout as far as I can see.

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 03, 2013, 16:22:33 »

Congratulations paul7755. You posted the 1500th reply in this thread!

I was kinda hoping I'd be home in time to be the one to post the 1500th reply, as I took a butchers around Reading today. 1501st will have to do.  Wink

That transfer deck. It's a gert biggun innit? As we sez down Brizzle/Zummerset way.  Grin

A word of thanks also to all who have contributed, and continue to contribute, to this thread. It's become an excellent record of the changes that Reading station has gone through over the past three years.

Jeep posting though. There's still more work to be done!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 03, 2013, 16:30:06 »

In the case of the services into platform 2, from the Newbury direction of from Basingstoke, in hindsight might it have been a good idea to dedicate a pool of train crew to those routes all day?   I wonder if that's part of today's solution?

Paul

Good point Paul. Does anyone know if there is anything in the rule book which prevents a driver operating the same route (or alternating between the same routes) all day ?
Usually there are local agreements on the maximum number of trips that can be done over one line in a shift.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 03, 2013, 16:31:09 »

The 180s have (surprise, surprise) been pulled from service though.   Roll Eyes
I was very surprised to see any in use yesterday, one at Reading about 10:50 and again about 21:30.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 03, 2013, 20:25:55 »

Had time to have a nose around the new look Reading today and it certainly is a lighter, brighter place.

Arrived on the new platform 15 and the first impression was of the space there seems to be now.  I can see now why the new transfer deck is so called - it is certainly much more than a footbridge or overbridge.  It also offers views of some of the work outside the station not visible before.

The first thing I saw was the new arrangement whereby two trains can share a platform

Moving onto the transfer deck it was possible to see the work going on the currently closed platforms 7 and 8 - and all that remains of the old footbridge.

Meanwhile down below platform 7 is strangely quiet

..as was the new southern gateline...

Finally it is now possible to see the work going on outside on Station Hill.  The old drivers cafe frequented by generations of taxi and bus drivers is no more.  I think the GWR (Great Western Railway) Staff Association building was there too.

and looking at the row of shops opposite with the subway which used to lead to the old bus station now visible underneath.  The road structure looks rather fragile after the subterranean passages are exposed but it had taken the weight of buses and the like for many years.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 03, 2013, 20:44:36 »

...I think the GWR (Great Western Railway) Staff Association building was there too.

The GWR SA building is still there, it's the hip-roofed building just to the right of the two portakabins in the background, beyond where the station wall starts to curve round.  I think it's possibly past its sell by date though, and just because it is old doesn't necessarily mean it has any architectural or historical merit. 

While in that general area, has anyone seen any details of how that part of the site will be finished off - at the moment you have an odd sort of concrete piled 'step' outside the station wall but above ground level. (In other words the route taken by the temporary pedestrian access to P1-3.) With the council's project apparently removing everything down to true ground level, isn't that going to be a bit of an awkward area to finish off?

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 03, 2013, 22:19:37 »

After changing trains twice at Reading today I'm in two minds about the new station: the new southern gateline, transfer deck and platforms have a superb spacious, clean, modern feel which area  genuine transformation from the Reading of old. However, the wind doesn't half whistle through the place, making it bleak and inhospitable despite the quality of the space. It's not entirely clear to me if what is there represents the complete, finished product but it does strike me as unpleasantly exposed on a cold day.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 03, 2013, 22:33:21 »

One thing I did notice today which looked a bit off was this CIS (Customer Information System) display on the transfer bridge

What is supposed to go on the right hand side where the wood block is - or did someone just cut the hole too big!  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 03, 2013, 22:57:29 »

I'd like to just say what a good (if not fun I imagine) job Ollie and Jo have done on facebook the last couple of days coping with all the queries (I'm sure they have done the same on Twitter but I still can't work out how to use it properly so I don't)

Just one question to either of them though (didn't want to post it on FGW (First Great Western) on facebook due to the Trolls on there that like to be rude to people from time to time).. But Ollie replied to someone's query that the turbos were shorter than normal this week due to crewing issues?

I can only guess this is a shortage of people to link units together? I imagine drivers can drive a 2/3/5/6 car turbo with no extra training between any of them?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 03, 2013, 23:00:25 »

One thing I did notice today which looked a bit off was this CIS (Customer Information System) display on the transfer bridge

What is supposed to go on the right hand side where the wood block is - or did someone just cut the hole too big!  Grin

Hopefully more screens will go there - if that photo is taken where I think it is then there is room for another five or more screens next to it.  There's practically no point in just having five screens next to each other at a busy station like Reading given the number of departures.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 03, 2013, 23:05:01 »

Hopefully more screens will go there - if that photo is taken where I think it is then there is room for another five or more screens next to it.  There's practically no point in just having five screens next to each other at a busy station like Reading given the number of departures.

Trying to remember!  I think it was at the top of the escalators from platform 14/15.....

(I'm sure they have done the same on Twitter but I still can't work out how to use it properly so I don't)

Don't worry - I've just about worked out Twitter but haven't a clue about Facebook!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 03, 2013, 23:16:31 »

...a few blinkers on here me thinks....http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/7417/Easter-weekend-work-marks-end-of-the-beginning-for-Reading-station-upgrade

Why can't NR» (Network Rail - home page) ever be honest when it comes to these things and admit that it didn't all go sweetly to plan Angry
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 03, 2013, 23:21:05 »

There's a couple of locations on the transfer deck with just 5 screens and it did seem like too few. Especially yesterday when when a couple of the screens at a time were just showing cancelled services.

When I passed through Reading today around 10:00 the staff had just sorted out the A/B issue with Turbos. They'd altered services formed of Turbos booked to depart from the whole platform just to depart from the A/B end as appropriate. The CIS did go a bit crazy announcing them all, nobody really needed to know about a platform alteration five hours away!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 03, 2013, 23:23:55 »

...a few blinkers on here me thinks....http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/7417/Easter-weekend-work-marks-end-of-the-beginning-for-Reading-station-upgrade

Why can't NR» (Network Rail - home page) ever be honest when it comes to these things and admit that it didn't all go sweetly to plan Angry

That is more than a little bit naughty of them.. Glad that "the people we've had through already seem very pleased with the results.".. I guess that was before they saw how few trains there were Roll Eyes
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 03, 2013, 23:25:47 »

Don't worry - I've just about worked out Twitter but haven't a clue about Facebook!

Oh dear.. Try Facebook.. I think it's easier.. I've never worked out how to see whole "conversations" or whatever they are called in twitter.. It's not user friendly (to me)  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: