07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:29:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1365055 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: February 05, 2015, 11:25:01 »

I think construction of the Feeder Lines is progressing quite well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danwarman1/16389884782/in/pool-1945836@N21
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: February 09, 2015, 07:55:52 »

Small update from a visit on up train this morning :

Realignment work at the weekend has seen a new connection between the Reading West line and Reliefs just after Scours Lane.

Orginally (from memory) the turnout from the relief to the Reading West lines are a fairly sharp turnout, almost at the 'throat' of the lines. This remained the case even with the new viaduct underpass in place.

The connection has been moved (approx) 100 yards westwards - giving a dedicated straight section before rejoining the relief lines.

In fact the rejoin looks temporary - a fairly significant slew can be seen on the up Reading West line (if up is the right term here). The down line is much smoother and connects 'gracefully' on the old down relief line.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: February 10, 2015, 14:39:38 »

I'm hoping that the 40mph restriction on the Down Relief line after Reading as far as Scours Lane will either be temporary, or is a mistake on the maps, as that would be disappointing if a PSR (Permanent Speed Restriction) - the Up Relief is 80mph until reasonably close the the station.  Good to see the former goods loop is to be a bi-directional passenger loop, which will be useful.  The 60mph over the viaduct and through platforms 9/10 is confirmed. 

Just had confirmation that both the 40mph restriction on the Down Relief until Scours Lane, and the 60mph restriction on the mains from Scours Lane over the viaduct and through Platforms 9/10 to Reading New Junction, are planned to be raised later in the year at probably in September at 'Stage Q' of the scheme.

The Down Relief Line is to be raised to 80mph and rumours that the main lines over the viaduct will be 100mph - though I'll believe that when I see the signs go up!  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: February 10, 2015, 14:48:02 »

Realignment work at the weekend has seen a new connection between the Reading West line and Reliefs just after Scours Lane.

Orginally (from memory) the turnout from the relief to the Reading West lines are a fairly sharp turnout, almost at the 'throat' of the lines. This remained the case even with the new viaduct underpass in place.

The connection has been moved (approx) 100 yards westwards - giving a dedicated straight section before rejoining the relief lines.

In fact the rejoin looks temporary - a fairly significant slew can be seen on the up Reading West line (if up is the right term here). The down line is much smoother and connects 'gracefully' on the old down relief line.

I think Reading West Junction's final position will be some 250 metres nearer to Tilehurst than it currently is to allow a 775m long train to stand clear of other lines on the Down Reading West Curve and Up Reading West Curve in the up direction.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: February 10, 2015, 15:31:16 »

I think Reading West Junction's final position will be some 250 metres nearer to Tilehurst than it currently is to allow a 775m long train to stand clear of other lines on the Down Reading West Curve and Up Reading West Curve in the up direction.

Ah, this is quite important: we've discussed before whether the longest freight trains could be accommodated on the West Curve lines clear of Oxford Road Junction at the south end and Reading West Junction at the west end - it is reassuring to us Pangbourne etc. passengers that northbound freights COULD be held at Reading West Junction clear of the Westbury lines to allow a passenger train on the DR through Reading West J first.  Though will this ever happen eg will 1735 Padd - Oxford (1820 ex Reading) continue to be routinely held at Reading West Junction to allow some metal boxes to precede towards Tilehurst, and thus run late for the rest of its journey (though with a 12 minute allowance Radley to Oxford it probably manages to tick an "train arrived on time" box).

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: February 10, 2015, 15:59:11 »

From the scale drawings, the curve runs beside the reliefs for some way before joining. With the Festival Line joining close to the existing junction, and the Down Reading West Curve joining almost at Little John's Lane, it's all rather spread out.

However, that's not really the point, as the crossover from the Up Relief for the Festival Line alone will not now be built. Obviously you couldn't use that and the crossover for the Up Reading West Curve together (though parallel up and down moves via the curve and/or festival Line should still be OK). Of course that modification means other changes could have been made since those drawings, too.

There was a figure revealed by NR» (Network Rail - home page) of 961 m for standage on the Down Reading West Curve, but that is too long to be the real design driver either. As the Up Reading West Curve is shorter at both ends, given where the Feeder Relief Line diverges, that looks like the main reason for the shape of the new junction. By eye the down looks about 150-200 m shorter, so 775 m would still fit.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: February 10, 2015, 17:57:37 »

....rumours that the main lines over the viaduct will be 100mph - though I'll believe that when I see the signs go up!  Wink

Better than Blackpool's big dipper!

OTC
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: February 10, 2015, 18:07:26 »

Ah, this is quite important: we've discussed before whether the longest freight trains could be accommodated on the West Curve lines clear of Oxford Road Junction at the south end and Reading West Junction at the west end - it is reassuring to us Pangbourne etc. passengers that northbound freights COULD be held at Reading West Junction clear of the Westbury lines to allow a passenger train on the DR through Reading West J first.  Though will this ever happen eg will 1735 Padd - Oxford (1820 ex Reading) continue to be routinely held at Reading West Junction to allow some metal boxes to precede towards Tilehurst, and thus run late for the rest of its journey (though with a 12 minute allowance Radley to Oxford it probably manages to tick an "train arrived on time" box).

Yes, as I understand it they could hold a freight on the curve.  They could also have a freight onto the Down Relief and route a passenger train from P12-15 via the Up Passenger Loop in the down direction with that passenger train rejoining the down relief ahead of it at Tilehurst East Junction.  Also worth pointing out is that freight trains will traverse the Reading West Curve lines quicker than they currently do, as instead of being 25mph throughout, the linespeed is 40mph over Reading West Curve before dropping to 30mph at the Oxford Road Junction end. 

The whole layout is massively more flexible.

W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: February 11, 2015, 15:29:42 »

What is the standage for Up trains on Up Relief and Up Passenger Loop for trains waiting to cross to the Festival Line and West Curve? Is there space for a stationery train to be overtaken?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: February 11, 2015, 23:13:26 »

Quick question.  I know last year there was no route from Platform 7 to Didcot, only Berks & Hants. Is that still the case?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: February 11, 2015, 23:24:09 »

Quick question.  I know last year there was no route from Platform 7 to Didcot, only Berks & Hants. Is that still the case?
No.
7 & 3 can access the festival Line, it's just 1 & 2 that can only serve the Westbury Line. And that stays true after Easter.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:21 »

No.
7 & 3 can access the festival Line, it's just 1 & 2 that can only serve the Westbury Line. And that stays true after Easter.

Yesterday (11th feb ) there was no route from platform 7 (and 8 I believe) to the Berks and Hants line due to signalling problems at Reading but these were fairly quickly resolved. Whilst the problem existed some journeys had to be split at Reading. For example paddington to Bedwyn services came in on p7 and then you had to catch an onbound service from p1-3. Services to the south west of England that would have normally go via newbury were sent via Swindon.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: February 12, 2015, 09:53:50 »

Yes, as I understand it they could hold a freight on the curve.  They could also have a freight onto the Down Relief and route a passenger train from P12-15 via the Up Passenger Loop in the down direction with that passenger train rejoining the down relief ahead of it at Tilehurst East Junction.  Also worth pointing out is that freight trains will traverse the Reading West Curve lines quicker than they currently do, as instead of being 25mph throughout, the linespeed is 40mph over Reading West Curve before dropping to 30mph at the Oxford Road Junction end. 

The whole layout is massively more flexible.

Yes, agreed re flexibility (apart from layout at Oxford Road Junction as discussed earlier!) and I hadn^t thought of the use of the Up Passenger Loop for down trains. 

I^m assuming ^ and this I think answers W5tRailfider ^ that the distances are such that if the longest southbound freight is held on the UR at T1744 at Reading West Junction waiting a route across the DR and on to the West Curve, then a following passenger train on the UR can use the Up Passenger Loop to pass it and get into Reading station.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: February 12, 2015, 09:58:34 »

No.

And you also can't (and won't) be able to head towards Didcot from platforms 10/11 - though after Easter you'll be able to head towards the Berks & Hants via the Feeder Main or Feeder Relief.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: February 16, 2015, 22:15:21 »

A check of the signalling plans shows that the standage for Down freight trains on the Down Reading West Curve is 874m clear of Oxford Road Junction point connections and 778m clear of Oxford Road Junction Down Reading Feeder Relief point connections.  The standage for Down freight trains on the Up Reading West Curve is 775m clear of Oxford Road Junction point connections and 725m clear of Oxford Road Junction Up Relief Feeder point connections.  The standage for Up freight trains on the Up Reading West Curve is 791m clear of the Down Relief point connections.

The dimensions are based upon the axle counter head positions to the relevant signals but allowances need to be made for defensive driving (i.e. a train will not draw exactly up to a signal).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: