07:31 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
09:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
06:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 08:29:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1365053 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3150 on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:48 »

Is there a 'modern standard' for maximum length of freight trains - which effectively means container trains?   

I seem to remember a discussion somewhere that referred to 775m loops being the new standard, but it seemed to be an open question as to whether this meant a loop slightly longer than that, i.e. suitable for a 775m train, or designed for whatever trains could be safely 'positioned' within a physical 775m loop, hence the standard train would be a bit shorter.

I've checked in various NR» (Network Rail - home page) sources such as enhancement plans and RUSs (Route Utilisation Strategy) and it doesn't actually seem to be explicitly defined; this extract from the CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) enhancements plans uses 775m in both contexts as you can see:

The purpose of the Southampton to West Coast Main Line train lengthening programme is to
allow 775m train lengths for intermodal services
from the Port of Southampton to the West
Midlands and West Coast Main Line. The remaining scope to be delivered in CP5
comprises:
Location Scope to deliver the output
Southampton Western Docks Extend Up / Down docks branch
Southampton Maritime - Redbridge Extend depot reception sidings
Eastleigh Provide 775m Up Loop
Fenny Compton Increase speed of entry / exit to 40mph
Hatton Increase of loop entry

In practice, the Eastleigh loop is much longer, and is now referred to as the up slow line.   But the figures for Reading West curve area seem to be spread either side of 775m, which possibly makes it a pinch point for certain route or direction options, IYSWIM?

Paul

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: February 17, 2015, 22:13:47 »

There is a good photograph of construction progress with the Feeder Lines to be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danwarman1/16561265991/in/pool-1945836@N21/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: February 18, 2015, 16:30:48 »

Questions from a relative layman, who is however fairly up-to-speed with the Reading work.

As a relatively frequent traveller into London from Thatcham, I am assuming that post Easter when the feeder lines open, if I am on a through train THA-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) it will take the up feeder from Reading West and run up through Platforms 10/11?

If I am on an up Reading terminator, I assume it will take the current route (up the east side of the Reading West triangle) and into Platforms 1-3?

Just be good to understand what to expect. If proceeding down on the same routes, I assume roughly the same in reverse?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: February 18, 2015, 17:41:43 »

A random day's worth (0600-0800) of up through trains Bedwyn to Paddington after Easter:

(resolve)/from/BDW/to/PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)/2015/04/15/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt" target="_blank">http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/RDG/from/BDW/to/PAD/2015/04/15/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

...and down through trains:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/RDG/from/PAD/to/BDW/2015/04/15/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

suggests that through trains will usually use P11 up and P7 down, the latter being same as now.  That's basically what I would have expected, because those are the preferential through platforms to use.

I'd also expect most Reading terminators to use the existing bays, but with a few, at start or end of service, possibly using the relief side platforms - similar to what has been done with the Redhill/Gatwick services since the eastern underpass opened.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 18:13:21 by paul7755 » Logged
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: February 18, 2015, 18:36:29 »

Thanks Paul,

I looked at the 0715 and 0903 ex-Thatcham, which are regular transports for me (the former an HST (High Speed Train), the latter a Turbo).

I assume that the route "UFM" refers to the Up Feeder?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: February 18, 2015, 19:47:42 »

Quote from: Thatcham Crossing link=topic=6405.msg171415#msg171415

I assume that the route "UFM" refers to the Up Feeder?

Yes, Up Feeder Main.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: February 19, 2015, 23:42:23 »

The scaffolding around Thame(s) Tower never got very far up it. Now the great eyesore next to it has been scaffolded and the scaffolding sheeted - or at least part of it has. I presume they are going to strip it out, including removing all the glazing, before subjecting the shell to irrecoverable hydraulic nibbling. I'm less sure whether the scaffolding could still be in place for that.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:10 »

Just flicking through new timetables from May and notice that XCs (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are having up to 12 minutes to reverse (both north and south bound) with the latter leaving anywhere between xx:46 (before Bedwyn service(xx:48)) and xx:52 (after Bedwyn service)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: February 21, 2015, 13:01:17 »

Just flicking through new timetables from May and notice that XCs (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) are having up to 12 minutes to reverse (both north and south bound) with the latter leaving anywhere between xx:46 (before Bedwyn service(xx:48)) and xx:52 (after Bedwyn service)

I think there's a certain amount of padding in the present run from Reading to Basingstoke, it isn't unusual to get to Basingstoke a good few minutes before being able to cross to platform 1 there.  Maybe they are taking advantage of increased flexibility in the Reading area to hold trains there if they don't really need to leave yet?

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: February 21, 2015, 13:30:08 »

I think there's a certain amount of padding in the present run from Reading to Basingstoke, it isn't unusual to get to Basingstoke a good few minutes before being able to cross to platform 1 there.  Maybe they are taking advantage of increased flexibility in the Reading area to hold trains there if they don't really need to leave yet?

Paul

Comparing the same train after the May timetable change against one before:
Southbound, 1O087:27 MAN-BMH, minutes later:
Reading High Level Jn:    0
Reading P7 or P8:     1
Depart Reading:    6
Oxford Road Jn:    7
Southcote Jn:    6
Bramley:    1
Basingstoke P1: 0

Northbound, 1M38 9:45 BMH-MAN, minutes later:
Basingstoke P1: 1
Bramley:    1
Southcote Jn:    1
Oxford Road Jn:    3
Reading P7 or P8:     3
Depart Reading:    5
Reading High Level Jn:    6
Didcot East Jn:    5
Oxford:    6
Banbury:    3
Leamington Spa:    3
Coventry:    1 (0 on departure)

Make what you will of that. Some of it (and there are other minor en-route timing adjustments on 1M38) may be known changes in operations or engineering, some experience of how times tend to work out in practice. 1O08 is shown on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) on the relief Line from Didcot-Reading, while 1M38 is shown on the Main Line.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: February 22, 2015, 19:34:10 »

There is a good photograph of construction progress with the Feeder Lines to be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/danwarman1/16561265991/in/pool-1945836@N21/
You can sort-of see the two feeder lines now extend under the viaduct and up the slope to join the relevant lines into the platforms. The stuff in the way doesn't help, but the Feeder Main is on the left and joins P11 and P12, while the Feeder Relief on the right joins the Down Relief just behind the very top of the signal. (The camera's above P9.)

Now I know it's an awkward shallow camera angle, but don't you think the gradient profile of the Feeder Main is very odd (and the Feeder Relief too, though less so)?
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 01, 2015, 10:54:45 »

Note: on UKSteam it has "diesel at rear ?" Presumably this may be needed to help push from Reading.

Don't they always have diesel at the rear as required by NR» (Network Rail - home page) as insurance against failure?

Evidently not, here is a video of today's train Mayflower which I believe to be the first steam over the flyover, (sorry about the sound quality, it was super windy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlpjqmsm0VQ
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:32 »

The boys and girls in orange are busy putting in the connections (as far as they can before the Easter possession) for the 'new and improved' Reading West Junction this weekend.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: March 10, 2015, 18:28:49 »

I may be repeating observations- but :

Feeder lines are now all connected. Looks like a final 'top coat' of ballets is required but otherwise in situ.

The Festival Line is in situ - again waiting a top coat of ballest
The Festival Line connects to new point work on what I can assume is the new relief line alignment after Easter (which seems to be pretty much where the old mains are).
It's a very gentle turn out from the relief to the Festival Line suggesting this can be taken at some speed.

The Reading West line connection to the reliefs is actually further West than the current slew (say be another 100 yards) - almost level with the buffer stops of the west end of the new depot.

Thanks to a slow proceeding Turbo for this update
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3164 on: March 10, 2015, 20:41:53 »

Were the orange army performing Swan Lake then? :-)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: