Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
Delayed
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:54:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[177] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[54] access for all at Devon stations report
[34] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[28] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1363777 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: April 08, 2013, 19:43:42 »

The middle line (actually was the Up Main) is now history and will not be replaced.  The line to the left (Platform No.7) will move closer to the position of the redundant track thus allowing the platform to be (much) wider when its rebuilt later this year.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 08, 2013, 19:54:08 »

Am I seeing it correctly, have the small part of the rails of the middle line been cut out, just to the left of the "20" speed limit sign? If so, I take the line is not being used till the existing platforms are being re-done or what?

That line is permanently out of use pending removal as S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) points out above.  However as there was no urgency to remove it, in terms of the overall phasing of the work, it was just cut through where it got in the way of any new kit.  There's that signal post as well (not just the 20 mph sign) , and there's also a 'yellow mushroom' (connection box for axle counters) roughly under the new footbridge.  The line now stops short at about the London end of P7, I was told today it'll be gone within a few weeks. Lifting the track is the sort of job they can do overnight at a weekend without a major closure.

As mentioned the line through platform 7 is to be moved further out when that platform is rebuilt later this year - not all the way as far as the middle line because it will still have to align smoothly with the Caversham Rd bridge spans you can see in the distance under the gantry.

Paul
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 08, 2013, 20:04:16 »

As mentioned the line through platform 7 is to be moved further out when that platform is rebuilt later this year - not all the way as far as the middle line because it will still have to align smoothly with the Caversham Rd bridge spans you can see in the distance under the gantry.

Paul

Which also explains why HSTs (High Speed Train) arriving on 7 from London have quite a big bend at present from the last signal out.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
CheekyPaul

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 08, 2013, 20:12:45 »

I take it the 'big bend' at present is to stay once the redevelopment is completed?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 08, 2013, 20:39:01 »

I take it the 'big bend' at present is to stay once the redevelopment is completed?

Yes, because the highest speed route will be the new 'down main' through platform 9, hence the platform 8 line diverges off that line, and then the platform 7 line diverges away from the P8 line.

Paul

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 08, 2013, 21:41:16 »

...cough.  Gentlemen they are CURVES not BENDS.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 08, 2013, 22:27:52 »

I tried to steer round that issue. Or is that a different thread?  Grin

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 08, 2013, 22:28:45 »

This shows the bend curve and the old through road which now is no longer connected at either end.  You can also see the last part of the old footbridge on the right hand side next to the original station building.

lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:30 »

First trip through the new station yesterday. Some observations:

In the AM (travelling to London) everything was running 5-10 mins late, but not too horrible. From Scours Lane to Twyford we did see to take things slow/tentatively - which may have been down to drivers taking matters safely.

Transfered onto the Fast service on P10. Couple of country end escalators not working- causing a lot of people to back peddle to alternative set at Londonend rather than use stairs.

P10 is cramped. The hoardings blocking off P11 cut down the available space quite a lot.

Coming back in th PM I had 20 mins on the deck. It's is cold and windy - and I noted that where the platform canopy rises across the deck to flow down the otherwise - there is no glazing in the 1 ft gap! Just a wire grill to deter pidgeons!

There was a solid queue of London bound train lights along the main line at this time (6pm). The root cause was the single use of P10 for London bound fasts. The new platforms were empty! I did note the lack of connections between Fast and Relief lines around Kennet Bridge end on way into station - which restricts the use of the new platforms for the fasts (not sure where the next crossovers are past Kennet? Too far along to prevent delays I assume)

A couple of CC trains transferring from the main through the forementioned tight crossover from Oxford to use P8 as a reverser brought main movements to a stop.

To ease the pressure what is needed:

[1] accelerate the finishing work of P11. Without this P10 is now the bottleneck - for trains and passengers
[2] determine a way for more London bound mains to use the new platforms to relieve pressure on P10

CIS (Customer Information System) was OK, IMHO (in my humble opinion), just.

For example the 18:20 stopper to Oxford was leaving P12B and was shown/displayed at escalator CIS at 18:05. But on P13B the 19:27 stopper was also displayed - a full 80 minutes before departure ! Will unfamiliar travellers see P13B first and think that was the next stopper service.....

The CIS displays in the centre of the deck need another screen. I dislike the rolling page approach - and with a busy station like Reading seem only able to show 10 mins in advance. So people walk up and down the deck looking for their platform.

I think the CIS will need some tweaking

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:35 »

...[1] accelerate the finishing work of P11. Without this P10 is now the bottleneck - for trains and passengers
[2] determine a way for more London bound mains to use the new platforms to relieve pressure on P10

Once P11 is opened (planned for August bank holiday but even if it was speeded up) clearly P10 will then have to close for quite a long period of time to be rebuilt in its final position.  So there'll still be a bit of a bottleneck until both platforms are available together. 

However they already do have a method of running High Speed services round an obstructing service in P10, they'll cross to the up relief at Tilehurst and use P15; then back over to the up main at Kennet Bridge Jn.  This can be seen happening in the realtimetrains advanced service listings, and I also saw it yesterday during the afternoon when a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Newcastle - Southampton service was reversing in P10.

BTW (by the way) the interim layout Industry Insider posted (on page55) shows all movements possible at Kennet Bridge Jn - but it's well out of sight of the station...

Today's timetable shows a number of Bristol - Paddington trains using P15, and early on there were trains that originated in Hereford and Cheltenham that used P15 - presumably they'd be HSTs (High Speed Train) too?

...For example the 18:20 stopper to Oxford was leaving P12B and was shown/displayed at escalator CIS (Customer Information System) at 18:05. But on P13B the 19:27 stopper was also displayed - a full 80 minutes before departure ! Will unfamiliar travellers see P13B first and think that was the next stopper service....

The chap on the mobile information desk noted this down for me on his comments sheet, and I've also sent them a feedback form about this, but based on similar observations about the XC Newcastle service.  In this case the 1340 was waiting in 14B, and the 1540 was also showing on the 'escalator display' of 13B.  They just need to suppress the later display until the previous train has left.   This is really only a disadvantage of the additional 'escalator display' because of course displaying trains in a few hours time was fairly common on the old  '3 line displays' hanging above the platforms, but in that case the later trains come up in the third line of three and are quite obviously in the future.

Paul

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:23:29 by paul7755 » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 09, 2013, 16:40:09 »

The chap on the mobile information desk noted this down for me on his comments sheet, and I've also sent them a feedback form about this, but based on similar observations about the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Newcastle service.  In this case the 1340 was waiting in 14B, and the 1540 was also showing on the 'escalator display' of 13B.  They just need to suppress the later display until the previous train has left.   This is really only a disadvantage of the additional 'escalator display' because of course displaying trains in a few hours time was fairly common on the old  '3 line displays' hanging above the platforms, but in that case the later trains come up in the third line of three and are quite obviously in the future.

Even with the old station layout, this sort of thing was a common problem, usually involving stopping trains to London and Platforms 11 and 16 which would list the next departure from that platform which would often be several trains after the next actual departure to, for example, Maidenhead.  Even when a departure wasn't listed on the screens, the very presence of a train sat in the platform seemed to attract people to go and sit on it, even if it wasn't moving for hours!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 09, 2013, 16:57:08 »

Yes, that's true and it's not really a specific problem to Reading anyway, but I think the entry displays at the top of the stairs do sort of exaggerate the problem.

What they could also probably do with is a couple of sets of those alphabetic 'next fastest train to' listing displays, with almost all the through destinations shown.  Even straightforward Winchester has got those...

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 09, 2013, 17:57:06 »

I am pretty sure I saw of those "next fastest train to" displays by the new southern gateline.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 09, 2013, 18:29:37 »

Ah,  I hadn't noticed one on my last visit, but then I spent most of the time on the transfer deck or the new platforms.  I suppose given the size of the place having such displays on the transfer deck as well as at the entrances would probably be a good idea. Once interchanging passengers realise where their expected service is likely to run from they too may not venture far from the middle of the transfer deck...

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 09, 2013, 18:31:32 »

I know, I know. It drives me round the curve.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: