04:50 Fratton to Bristol Temple Meads
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 06:22:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1367813 times)
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:00 »

Jeff, very interesting comments. Some of us who were looking at the transfer deck in the first few days commented on how it and the escalators were open to the weather etc.  And I (and Mrs GTBE) agree about the poor quality of the signage and the CIS (Customer Information System)'s.

I was talking to a retired railway architect (they used to be in house) a few weeks ago who said that they had the knowledge etc to design in the funcitionality of a station which external architects sometimes didn't necessarily have.  There's more to a station than looking pretty.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:44:28 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 11, 2013, 12:55:24 »

Might the over generous ventilation in fact be a requirement as part of the fire safety case?
Smoke kills far more people than heat or flames, and it could be argued that having the structure substantialy open to the elements greatly reduces the risk.

No doubt precautions have been taken to reduce the risks of fire breaking out, but accidents do happen. A smallish fire breaking out in a well enclosed building can cost many lives, to reduce the risk relatively elaborate fire precautions are required in say offices or department stores.

If fire broke in say a catering stall on the new bridge, then the consequences would hopefully not be serious as the smoke would readily escape rather than killing people.

If the structure is made more weather tight then I consider it likely that more elaborate fire precautions might be needed at significant expense.

In todays troubled world one must also consider the risks of terrorists detonating a bomb or releasing toxic chemicals. The large open areas would tend to vent the pressure wave from an explosion and thus reduce the risks to persons and property.

Any toxic gas or fumes would be much more readily disperesed than in a better enclosed building.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 11, 2013, 16:04:58 »

Ah right, I was thinking of a different format display, which has significantly more stations listed by time and allocated platform, but in alphabetical order.  At Basingstoke it has 3 columns of at least 20 stations.

The screens at Reading does also show the platform number alternating with the time.  Not as good as having both displayed at the same time, but at least all the information is there.

As for comments on the transfer deck, well let's give them a chance to sort it out before getting too over-critical.  The time constraints in getting it ready for Easter were a real problem, so I don't blame them for concentrating on getting it open rather than ensuring all loose ends were tied up - there's nothing there that a little bit of plastic, glass or perhaps some staff operated windows won't largely solve.  The weather isn't always as bad as it's been the last few weeks where, not only have the temperatures been disappointing, but the average windspeeds must have far exceeded the seasonal average - I bet that breeze will be very refreshing in the summer  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 11, 2013, 16:12:42 »

As for comments on the transfer deck, well let's give them a chance to sort it out before getting too over-critical. 

I agree with you on this. I will be making my first journey through the station since the thursday before Easter so  I look forward to seeing the changes for real.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 11, 2013, 19:35:15 »

I started puzzling over the aerodynamic design of the new station right from its opening, and was writing down my conclusions, which now extend to more than two pages. I was wondering whom I might helpfully send it to when I found the topic was being discussed here. Any suggestions? Anyway, her's a few new points:

The transfer deck is big and sits high up (as footbridges usually do), so the air has to deviate a lot to get round it and so speeds up. It will take a short-cut if there is one through the structure, so wind was always bound to whistle through the unglazed clerestories, and across from one stairway to another. Most big station footbridges I have seen are glazed right along the deck and often down the stairs too. Why, if there's no need?

Look at old platform canopies - high ridge, wiggly baffles along the eaves, both features there for a purpose. A crosswind is forced to pass well above eaves level, and any eddies that spill into the gap between canopies (i.e. the track) are weak at eaves level and dissipated by the baffles. Now look at Grimshaw's ones - flat top, knife-edge "eaves". So the crosswind can pass close over the top, and when it spreads downwards between them it is deflected by the knife-edge down towards the passengers on the platform.

The same effect at the overhangs of the main roof means that the gap at the top of the glazing lets in a lot of air, as the pressure is very high there. Have you noticed the gusts of wind you get at the top of the North-side escalators? So far we have only had it a bit breezy. What happens with high winds? Will the gusts hitting people in the back at the top of the escalators be unsafe? Would you like to be waiting on platform 15, and is there a maximum safe gust speed for platforms?

The clerestories predictably let in snow - and as we now know a surprising amount of rain too. This is going to land on top of the lifts, which are open (a grille) and I very much doubt the installation, electrical and mechanical, is specified for that. The deck itself will be liable to freezing, as it has no heating from the ground below. Will the operators be prepared to clear snow and de-ice the deck, as well as the stairs and escalators?

Finally, what does this say about the design methodology? Stations used to be designed based on operating experience, so looking at old designs gives you access to that accumulated experience. So there should be a formal stage in the design, of justifying any departure from established designs as due to a change in requirement or environment. For example, "we provide less protection for passengers because the climate is so much milder (like Southern Spain, or warmer) or people are much more tolerant of cold, or safety standards are less strict" ... Somehow I don't think this design would have got past such a process.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1625 on: April 11, 2013, 19:47:22 »

Welcome to the forum, Stuving .... that's one heck of an impressive opening post!

I've not yet gotten off a train at the new Reading ... so really can't comment.  But surely designs evolve and one would hope that past experience has been used in the building of this new "Transfer Deck", and it's not just someone's view without looking back.   But having said that, I personally find the new Newport cold, impersonal and less welcoming to the passenger ... but is that one of the key criteria in the design, or is it much more based on cheap to run (fewer staff, easyclean), low maintenance, little opportunity for fare evasion, no corners for antisocial behaviour ... rather than the comfort and enjoyment of you and me?

I fear you may be too late to make meaningful inputs ... it's virtually there now, isn't it?

By the way - I'm not against all new stations; King's Cross is lovely, as are many aspects of Paddington

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 11, 2013, 21:23:18 »

There are a number of features in the station design that might not be apparent in general use, the designers I am sure will have to take into account fire, the transfer deck would be the principle escape route in the fire and evacuation strategy therefore it cannot be allowed to come a smoke trap also potential terrorist bomb threat allowing for pressure release is important.

I currently involved in fire and evacuation strategy for a project I am working on which involves the potential of two 12 car trains (about 1000 passengers each) the things to be considered certainly opened my eyes.

As II said there are a number of things that still need to be finished the focus has been to open the station in a usable an safe condition some bits need finishing, possibly not all the gutters are in place yet

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:53 »

I don't think the cheerleaders for the new station should be so quick to dismiss the comments from posters such as Jeff and Stuving who obviously know what they are talking about.  It seems to me that the problems are more fundamental than can be fixed with bits of plastic or gutters.

Yes of course emergency egress is important, but architects can and should design structures which are safe for the occupants without requiring them to be wet, cold, or at risk of slipping or being blown away. 

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 17:03:54 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:09 »

This was the scene this evening with the wind blowing the rain onto the London side of the transfer deck.

It was the turn of the country side this morning with impressive pools near the p8/9 and p10/11 escalators.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1629 on: April 12, 2013, 11:12:07 »

Presumably pools of water near escalators would be deemed a safety hazard.

Therefore, anyone who slipped and fell could probably sue Netwrokrail for providing an unsafe environment.

I've always thought architecs shuld be made to use any building they design for sixmonths after construction. Would love the architect of Slough Bus station to wait for a bus every January night for an hour!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 12, 2013, 12:34:44 »

On the subject of escalators I have seen a couple of people almost knocked off balance when stepping on the stairs while they were in eco-slow mode and then speeded up after detecting someone.  It is a particular problem if you are carrying bags in both hands and cannot hold onto the handrail.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 12, 2013, 12:44:35 »

I'm going to name my next band Wiggly Baffles. Great first post stuving, and welcome to the forum!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 12, 2013, 14:41:59 »

On the subject of escalators I have seen a couple of people almost knocked off balance when stepping on the stairs while they were in eco-slow mode and then speeded up after detecting someone.  It is a particular problem if you are carrying bags in both hands and cannot hold onto the handrail.

I recently travelled on a Spanish metro system where I can only assume they had 'eco' escalators. I often tended to not use them thinking they were broken!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 12, 2013, 18:10:09 »

This has me confused.  Surely the only method for eco escalators is that they are still until a person steps within one metre (OK yard if you want) of them?  Then they do not cease moving until the arising human has arisen and thye are free of humans within one yard /metre of the bottom.  I cannot see how anyone would be jolted, once having got on board.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 12, 2013, 18:34:22 »

They don't stop from what I saw, they run at a slower speed than normal, but then speed up as someone triggers a beam as they get on.  As far as I can see they either run at about half or full speed, it's not that easy to gauge by eye.

But it's a fairly common feature nowadays, I'd be surprised if people haven't used them elsewhere without even noticing.

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: