29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:22:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1363913 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: October 09, 2014, 22:43:34 »

Here's a long shot view of that signal gantry, with three tracks up onto the viaduct - and a crossover too.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: October 10, 2014, 22:31:23 »

Thanks for that photograph STUVING.  I bet there will be lots of telephoto lens photographs in the January 2015 railway press of trains coming over the top of that 'ski jump' Cheesy Wink
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: October 11, 2014, 22:12:10 »

Is there a diagram available anywhere of the proposed track layout west of Reading Station after January?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: October 11, 2014, 22:44:23 »

Is there a diagram available anywhere of the proposed track layout west of Reading Station after January?

....err its in post 2850 above... Cheesy
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: October 11, 2014, 22:58:53 »

....err its in post 2850 above... Cheesy

Sorry the posts around then refer to three diagrams only two of which are the same.  Is the layout after January going to be the temporary one in the 2008 Stage 6 and Phase 70 drawing or the final Phase 76?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: October 11, 2014, 23:58:21 »

Sorry the posts around then refer to three diagrams only two of which are the same.  Is the layout after January going to be the temporary one in the 2008 Stage 6 and Phase 70 drawing or the final Phase 76?
None of the above. The discussion then was about the new phasing, which is not as shown on any of the plans done beforehand. It's roughly as phase 76 between P8/9 and the viaduct, but otherwise as phase 70. Probably.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: October 13, 2014, 00:22:35 »

None of the above. The discussion then was about the new phasing, which is not as shown on any of the plans done beforehand. It's roughly as phase 76 between P8/9 and the viaduct, but otherwise as phase 70. Probably.

Hopefully these will help:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: October 13, 2014, 10:48:50 »

Many thanks for those - very interesting.

I can see now that a down fast (Main) will be able to cross to the down slow (Relief) grade separated via the Festival Line and Platforms 7 or 8. Didn't spot that before.  Could be useful for the Oxford/Didcot semi-fasts in the evening peak

There are also hints in the layout that the Westbury lines will become bidirectional all the way to Southcote Junction - it lacks some signals at the moment but there are some indications from others that are present.  This would allow parallel moves to/from Basinstoke and Newbury and could be quite useful for accommodating the stone trains, etc.

I am still trying to work out the final topology of the Relief Lines and their connections at the country end of Reading Traincare Depot.

I have downloaded a copy of Signalling Group Standards here but I can still not work out what the crossed-feathers on T.1717/19/21 mean.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:54:47 by Oxonhutch » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: October 13, 2014, 11:04:47 »

Many thanks

I have downloaded a copy of Signalling Group Standards here but I can still not work out what the crossed-feathers on T.1717/19/21 mean.

No problem.  The crossed feathers simply mean that the junction indicators are installed, but not in use until April.  For you stat fans out there it's interesting that the viaduct slope at the western end is slightly steeper at 1/85 than the eastern end at 1/93.  The top of the viaduct isn't quite level either, sloping downwards gently towards London at 1/730!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:45:12 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2874 on: October 13, 2014, 11:10:58 »

To help drainage perhaps?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: October 13, 2014, 11:51:36 »

For you stat fans out there it's interesting that the viaduct slope at the eastern end is slightly steeper at 1/85 than the western end at 1/93.  The top of the viaduct isn't quite level either, sloping upwards gently towards London at 1/730!

Are you sure it's that way round? We had some numbers about gradients provided earlier on, during a rather long discussion about the difficulties of starting goods trains. That said the mains from west to east had 85R/730F/93F.

The reliefs had 361F/420R/730R from a different start point, so the viaduct isn't matching the ground form. I think the main point is that the West Curve is almost at the level of the reliefs as the viaduct goes over it, while the feeder Lines are 3-4 m lower in their box. So the viaduct can fall towards the station, allowing the ramp up out of the station to be less steep. Almost every train attacks that from a standing start, and every little helps...

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:01 »

For you stat fans out there it's interesting that the viaduct slope at the eastern end is slightly steeper at 1/85 than the western end at 1/93.  The top of the viaduct isn't quite level either, sloping upwards gently towards London at 1/730!
Are you sure it's that way round? We had some numbers about gradients provided earlier on, during a rather long discussion about the difficulties of starting goods trains. That said the mains from west to east had 85R/730F/93F.

Yes, my mistake - I was looking at the chart the wrong way round!   Roll Eyes

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: October 15, 2014, 13:42:49 »

I note from II's (very helpful) track diagrams that the Feeder Lines are now referred to as Main and Relief, with no reference to Up and Down, thus avoiding the confusion (well to me at least) of the Up and Down Feeder Lines appearing to be the wrong way round.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: October 15, 2014, 17:27:27 »

I was having a play with realtimetrains earlier, it now includes dates after the New Year break, so I did a quick check of the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) platforming, because they are one of the significant conflicting factors for the spring timetable period.

As I'd expect at this stage the terminating trains do still use P13 or P14, with a couple shunting via Kennet Bridge loop as now.

Otherwise they generally use P3 and P8, with only a handful of trains in P7 over the course of the whole day. 

As it stands timings seem incredibly tight - there's quite a few instances over the day where the public timings have trains in opposite directions to or from the festival line at the same time or within a minute or two.  Will require excellent time keeping if that stays the same...

(resolve)/2015/01/05/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=xc" target="_blank">http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/RDG/2015/01/05/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: October 16, 2014, 09:21:53 »

Thanks Paul.  1O84 0725 Newcastle - Soton has an interesting routeing through Reading, it's shown as approaching Reading on the UR, passing through P15 without stopping, reversing in Kennet Loop, and then finally stopping in P7 at 1218.  Now that's going to give passengers alighting at Reading a bit of a surprise.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: