Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
16:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:07:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 230
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Station improvements  (Read 1364283 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: September 17, 2015, 06:35:33 »

Yes, certainly an excellent job done on the station and the track layout in the surrounding areas. All done on time and budget as well which seems a rare thing these days.

Now, I know there have been legal problems and not sure if you could shed any light on this II but..... When on earth are they going to finish the Cow Lane bridge?Huh There has been no progress made on this so far this year.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:20 »

I'm sure the thread will rumble on with the remaining work to be done on the station forecourt, but this strikes me as the best moment to offer my congratulations to the whole team who have delivered such a magnificently flexible and enlarged station on time and on budget whislt the station remained open pretty much throughout.

Perhaps others on the forum can 'like' this post in order to express their own appreciation to those involved?

I couldn't agree more II - it still amazes me that the station was kept operational (no choice,really) whilst this major work was being undertaken.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:14 »

Agreed, a well executed project.  They just need to sort out Reading West to Southcote Junction now as that has become the remaining bottleneck. Personally I think a third track could be fitted in with some bi-directional working on the middle track Tongue
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 17, 2015, 14:33:04 »

They just need to sort out Reading West to Southcote Junction now as that has become the remaining bottleneck.

I think anyone who commutes from Tilehurst, Pangbourne etc would say that the convergence of the Down Relief with Reading West curve at Reading West Junction is a remaining bottleneck. 

Too often you leave P12 at Reading and then slow to a crawl or stop while a freight precedes or crosses in front of you.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: September 17, 2015, 16:17:34 »

Yes, I guess no matter how much money you spend there would still be weaker links, though the number of times you get held and the length of hold are now less than they were.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:43 »

When on earth are they going to finish the Cow Lane bridge?

Appears my question has been answered:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/cow-lane-bridges-work-start-10074949
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: September 18, 2015, 13:16:04 »

Landowner being awkward by the looks of it then!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3277 on: September 18, 2015, 14:04:57 »

They just need to sort out Reading West to Southcote Junction now as that has become the remaining bottleneck.

I think anyone who commutes from Tilehurst, Pangbourne etc would say that the convergence of the Down Relief with Reading West curve at Reading West Junction is a remaining bottleneck. 

Too often you leave P12 at Reading and then slow to a crawl or stop while a freight precedes or crosses in front of you.

You also have the new Festival line from the Viaduct coming in just before the junctions with the West Curve so it could be Voyager to and from platforms 3 or 4 that holds you up.   

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 18, 2015, 15:48:07 »

Landowner being awkward by the looks of it then!

That could backfire in terms of costs and money offered.

Now, please!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 18, 2015, 16:52:31 »

Yes, I guess no matter how much money you spend there would still be weaker links, though the number of times you get held and the length of hold are now less than they were.

You may be right, not least because (as I think you mentioned before) there are now higher speeds permitted through Reading West Junction.

The last time I came back from Birmingham on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) we were checked approaching Oxford while a Freightliner in front of us drew up at the signal on the UM just south of Oxford station (which we then passed as we left Oxford on the Up Loop), and then when I hopped off at Reading and got the stopper to Pangbourne ^ blow me - we were checked by the same Freightliner crossing in front of us at Reading West Junction!

There^s more work to be done on improving the running of freights to the west of Reading.  I may have mentioned this before ^.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 18, 2015, 17:05:15 »

You also have the new Festival line from the Viaduct coming in just before the junctions with the West Curve so it could be Voyager to and from platforms 3 or 4 that holds you up.   

You would mean Platforms 3 or 7 (and 8 ) as going from Oxford to Basingstoke (or vice-versa) via Platform 4 would require one hell of a diversion
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 18, 2015, 19:17:30 »

The last time I came back from Birmingham on a XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) we were checked approaching Oxford while a Freightliner in front of us drew up at the signal on the UM just south of Oxford station (which we then passed as we left Oxford on the Up Loop)

Yes, the 'Oxford Corridor' improvement works and preparation for the Chiltern link mean that the up passenger loop from Wolvercote to Oxford North Junction is currently not in use, so with most freights being too long to sit in the through lines at Oxford, quite a few get held south of the station with the passenger trains using the loop line to get round them.

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 06, 2015, 17:18:08 »

Interesting to see the announcement of the re-opening of Manchester Victoria Station (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)).

A modern overall roof was included at a cost of only ^20M.

What a pity such a cheap and useful piece of weather-proofing could not have been included in Reading's ^850M rebuilding.

There's more to a passenger station than tracks.

Wet and windswept,

OTC
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: October 06, 2015, 17:26:08 »

Missed this post first time round

If anyone's forgotten, the following alterations have happened since the first major work on the ground started in August 2010 when the goods lines were lifted:
 ..snip..
9) Two turnback signals at Tilehurst.

Wokingham also got a turnback signal to allow trains from Waterloo to go back to London in service and not run empty to Bracknell.  I think this was provided in the anticipation of the Reading blockades.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: October 06, 2015, 19:25:30 »

Wokingham also got a turnback signal to allow trains from Waterloo to go back to London in service and not run empty to Bracknell.  I think this was provided in the anticipation of the Reading blockades.

It was really for the series of weekend closures of the "Southern" platforms while they were rebuilt, which you would not call blockades as they are not on through lines. I think these platforms were always in use for the blockades qua blockades.

I also think it was on a wish list of small improvements, as useful in case of disruption, and could be combined with work to lengthen P2 to take 12-car trains.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 230
  Print  

Jump to: