Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:26:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty fares  (Read 6339 times)
chrisoates

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:51:10 »

Got a penalty fare announcement at Truro today - very severe it was too - wondering if it has anything to do with Truro being 'barriered' ?

Four frightfully well spoken 'gells' and a Cello then got an earful (and a leaflet) for boarding without a ticket - initially I was a bit sympathetic as it's an engineering weekend CIS (Customer Information System) is down and timetables don't apply.

However they later discussed how they share railcards, use ungripped returns and any other method of travelling free !

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:53:48 »

The penalty fare announcements are a legal requirement for the introduction of Penalty fares between Truro and Exeter on april 5th, along with the verbal waring that all non-Penalty fares staff are supposed to give to anyone boarding at penalty fares stations without tickets.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:44 »

cant wait for this to come in exeter st thomas is a great example of where people will walk there to avoid barriers
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:36 »

cant wait for this to come in exeter st thomas is a great example of where people will walk there to avoid barriers

So lets hope they get caught by regular RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) stings then. And lets also hope that there are no further examples of ways to fare dodge on a public forum.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:33:19 »

This is all good news.  Sounds like there is a problem and the PF (Penalty Fare) will help to solve it.  But PF are only part of the story.  Hopefully FGW (First Great Western) (with support of BTP (British Transport Police)) will come up with enough staff to have a sustained blitz, because that is what is needed in order to change attitudes to ticketless travel.

Bignosemac.  It is hardly a state secret that certain stations do not have barriers and hardly rocket science to figure out that it may be easier to dodge a fare if there are no barriers (in fact this is only the flip side of the message that barriers make dodging harder which the TOCs (Train Operating Company) have been telling us for years)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:42 »

It may not be rocket surgery or brain science that certain locations are easier to fare dodge than others, but highlighting such locations is still out of order IMHO (in my humble opinion).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 17:20:16 »

not really.... st thomas is a stupidly obv one which needs something done about it
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 18:08:59 »

More staff have been trained to do PFs (Penalty Fare) recently and barriers should be in Truro by the end of the year

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 18:09:49 »

It may not be rocket surgery or brain science that certain locations are easier to fare dodge than others, but highlighting such locations is still out of order IMHO (in my humble opinion).

It's an interesting point. If the author had written it along the lines of "Hey, I've got a good tip for passengers from Exeter to avoid paying for their journey on 9 days out of 10.... etc, etc" then I would agree.

But written as it was it appeared to add a useful point to the discussion on boarding trains without having paid for a ticket, and as such I think the merit outweighs the disadvantage. After all, I hope none of our community would read it and act on the information in the way you suggest. And even if they did, I suspect anyone of such an intent would do it anyway.

Sorry, I'm probably sounding like a moderator now.  
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 18:30:26 »

This one is a finely balanced call for those of us who moderate ... and you'll note that none of us has previously jumped in on this thread.

Where there's a post that points out a new way of travelling that's outside what the rules allow, or which advocates breaking the rules, you'll see a fairly rapid response. That's the easy bit.  Where someone points out some locations which are more 'tender' than others, it's more tricky and if these things are well know / published elsewhere / obvious, we'll tend to let them be ... actually, we have a reputation in some quarters as moderating rather more than on other forums.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 00:30:15 »

More staff have been trained to do PFs (Penalty Fare) recently and barriers should be in Truro by the end of the year

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and before them Virgin are far more efficient at revenue protection than FGW (First Great Western) - I've often seen people asked to leave trains/pay up for rail card misuse, reservation infringements, throwing away the wrong half of a return and plain not having a ticket.
If I catch the 8:35 XC from St Erth I can be pretty sure I'll get gripped by Hayle or at worst Camborne.

I've just been from St Ives to Exeter Central no checks on the HST (High Speed Train) but was asked to produce exiting EXC. Returning the only check was on the St Ives branch.

Checks on DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) in Cornwall seem pretty good but HSTs are a joke - there are a few TMs(resolve) that do an excellent job but a lot seem to forget why they are employed.
Would you open a petrol station with an option of not paying - fitting HSTs with an 'honesty' box might generate some revenue.

Regarding training - that's obviously working on the DMUs - not a word on the HSTs where the potential for evasion is much greater.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:00 »

The excuse for lax ticket checks that I have often heard is that "guard's can't work SDO (Selective Door Opening) and look after revenue at the same time". Now, on the face of it, that sounds pretty reasonable until you remember that there are some guards who quite happily manage both (and with a smile on their faces!) which does make you wonder why the rest can't.

Then again ticket checks on HSTs (High Speed Train) in south Wales are in my experience even worse - there isn't the excuse of SDO, stations are reasonably well spaced out and yet a significant number of guards just don't bother. It's not at all unusual to go from Reading to Swansea (or even Carmarthen) with no ticket check! Again though, sometimes you will get a guard who makes you realize that it's quite possible - I remember a tiny-but-formidable female guard taking no prisoners when she did a ticket check immediately on departure from Swansea (and every subsequent station), in the days before barriers. That really caught the Neath/Port Talbot/Bridgent Free Travel Society on the hop!
devonian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 07:47:34 »

I often get on and off at St Thomas (not for fare evasion reason!) and I have to say, I always get checked for tickets - well, approached instantly and sold a ticket.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:04 »

there are a few TMs(resolve) that do an excellent job but a lot seem to forget why they are employed.

I have to agree with both of those statements.  I'd also observe that the TMs who are busiest and most efficient are always the ones who are happiest and most polite.

super tm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 09:35:16 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and before them Virgin are far more efficient at revenue protection than FGW (First Great Western) - I've often seen people asked to leave trains/pay up for rail card misuse, reservation infringements, throwing away the wrong half of a return and plain not having a ticket.
If I catch the 8:35 XC from St Erth I can be pretty sure I'll get gripped by Hayle or at worst Camborne.

I've just been from St Ives to Exeter Central no checks on the HST (High Speed Train) but was asked to produce exiting EXC. Returning the only check was on the St Ives branch.

Checks on DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) in Cornwall seem pretty good but HSTs are a joke - there are a few TMs(resolve) that do an excellent job but a lot seem to forget why they are employed.
Would you open a petrol station with an option of not paying - fitting HSTs with an 'honesty' box might generate some revenue.

Regarding training - that's obviously working on the DMUs - not a word on the HSTs where the potential for evasion is much greater.

I wonder if it has anyhing to do with the fact that XC and ex Wessex guards are on personal commission for ticket sales but TM's are not  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: