15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:24:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty fares  (Read 6342 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:03 »

Sorry if this is a bit radical for some on here, but I have long believed that TMs(resolve) and guards should be stripped of all responsibility for selling tickets.

The railways of Britain have long appeared to be reinventing themselves as airlines. Whether this has been a conscious movement or an accidental drift, it's obvious to even the most casual of observer. FGW (First Great Western) are in the forefront of this: you board an HST (High Speed Train) with your hand luggage, sit in a cramped, high backed seat (some with a television screen at eye level in front of you), and listen to the safety announcements.

The message seems to be, trains aren't like buses - they are more like aeroplanes. That being (or possibly that boeing...) the case, tickets should and MUST be checked both before boarding and on arrival.

All stations should and must have ticket selling and checking facilities. Barriers should prevent access to train doors - if you haven't got a valid ticket, you don't get on - pure and simple. At locations where there are no permanent staff, stops should be longer so the arriving train's guard can make sure people get in and out of the barriers ok (again, just like happens on aeroplanes).

Journeys will take longer, of course. Tough. If given the choice between a slightly longer journey or being assumed by default to be a faredodging criminal lowlife, as ALL train passengers seem to be these days, I'm sure most reasonable people would vote for tighter controls and longer journey times.

On-board ticket sales belong to buses and coaches (though I think I'm right in saying even National Express coaches require tickets to be bought in advance?). In this day and age, NO tickets should be sold on board a train, and the train managers and guards should be primarily in charge of health, safety and security on board.

End of rant... sorry....
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 11:35:32 »

, I'm sure most reasonable people would vote for tighter controls and longer journey times.

Not me.  The journey time is more important for me.   If 5% of people getting away without paying is the price I have to pay for being able to buy my ticket on the train (and consequently get out of bed 10 minutes later)then it is a price I would be willing to pay. 

Once upon a time the railway was always cheaper than flying.  This is not aways the case now but you seem to be arguing for the rail industry to give up the last remaining advantage it has over planes. 
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 11:42:09 »

Have a look at page 29 of http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1975/1975%20-%201283.html for details of British Airways 1970s London to Glasgow shuttle.  A ^19 ticket is was available to buy on the plane!  (even Scottish notes were accepted!!) BA» (British Airways - about) obviously thought that offering such a facility was neccessary to compete with the convience of BR (British Rail(ways)).

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:55 »

In this day and age, NO tickets should be sold on board a train, and the train managers and guards should be primarily in charge of health, safety and security on board.

You still need to deal with a loophole.  Even if tickets were always available before boarding, the nature of stopping trains is such that onboard ticket checks would still be required to protect against pax buying two 'short tickets' for either end of their through journey.

Paul
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 14:17:55 »

More staff have been trained to do PFs (Penalty Fare) recently and barriers should be in Truro by the end of the year

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and before them Virgin are far more efficient at revenue protection than FGW (First Great Western) - I've often seen people asked to leave trains/pay up for rail card misuse, reservation infringements, throwing away the wrong half of a return and plain not having a ticket.
If I catch the 8:35 XC from St Erth I can be pretty sure I'll get gripped by Hayle or at worst Camborne.

I've just been from St Ives to Exeter Central no checks on the HST (High Speed Train) but was asked to produce exiting EXC. Returning the only check was on the St Ives branch.

Checks on DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) in Cornwall seem pretty good but HSTs are a joke - there are a few TMs(resolve) that do an excellent job but a lot seem to forget why they are employed.
Would you open a petrol station with an option of not paying - fitting HSTs with an 'honesty' box might generate some revenue.

Regarding training - that's obviously working on the DMUs - not a word on the HSTs where the potential for evasion is much greater.

I wonder if it has anyhing to do with the fact that XC and ex Wessex guards are on personal commission for ticket sales but TM's are not  Wink

Probably not for much longer...  Wink

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 19:22:37 »

Sorry if this is a bit radical for some on here, but I have long believed that TMs(resolve) and guards should be stripped of all responsibility for selling tickets.

The railways of Britain have long appeared to be reinventing themselves as airlines. Whether this has been a conscious movement or an accidental drift, it's obvious to even the most casual of observer. FGW (First Great Western) are in the forefront of this: you board an HST (High Speed Train) with your hand luggage, sit in a cramped, high backed seat (some with a television screen at eye level in front of you), and listen to the safety announcements.

The message seems to be, trains aren't like buses - they are more like aeroplanes. That being (or possibly that boeing...) the case, tickets should and MUST be checked both before boarding and on arrival.

All stations should and must have ticket selling and checking facilities. Barriers should prevent access to train doors - if you haven't got a valid ticket, you don't get on - pure and simple. At locations where there are no permanent staff, stops should be longer so the arriving train's guard can make sure people get in and out of the barriers ok (again, just like happens on aeroplanes).

Journeys will take longer, of course. Tough. If given the choice between a slightly longer journey or being assumed by default to be a faredodging criminal lowlife, as ALL train passengers seem to be these days, I'm sure most reasonable people would vote for tighter controls and longer journey times.

On-board ticket sales belong to buses and coaches (though I think I'm right in saying even National Express coaches require tickets to be bought in advance?). In this day and age, NO tickets should be sold on board a train, and the train managers and guards should be primarily in charge of health, safety and security on board.

End of rant... sorry....

phil i am 100% behind you on this... how many times have you seen the guard make the effort to check tickets on a busy train only to get to the first group of people (normally late teens pretending to be 15 to get child fair so id's need checking then an argument insues) and by the time they have done that group were at the next station and half the train has got off ticket free greeted by no barriers, its not the guards fault im not even blaming fgw the fact that so many people do it eather by ignorence or cant be bothered to get a ticket,or know that there is a chance of a free ride and no punishment is worrying however penalty fair will solve it if enforced.. all guard should be doing is checking tickets issuing p'fs and the normal duties
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: