Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:20 Paignton to Exmouth
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 12:27:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[65] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[54] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] Cornish delays
[13] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: To buy a ticket or not?  (Read 5671 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2010, 19:14:07 »

This is a dilemma I've faced several times recently and I'm not sure whether I'm doing things right or not, especially with the full introduction of Penalty Fares.

I get on a train at Redland and arrive at Bristol Temple Meads ticketless.  With only 8 minutes connection time (i.e. an unofficial connection), do I buy a ticket or jump on my next train?

I'm a bit of a chicken, so always queue up at the excess counter to buy a ticket along with my fellow Severn Beach Line passengers.  I missed my connection once, but other times I haven't.

Is it perfectly reasonable to just get on my next train without a ticket, even though I've not allowed enough connection time?  Should the guard be found asap or do I just wait for them to arrive at my seat?

My interpretation of the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) are that provided you started your journey at an unmanned station, you can buy your ticket on any part of your journey.  Is this correct?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 19:31:54 »

Essentially that's correct - you are supposed to buy a ticket at the "first reasonable opportunity". On the short journey from Redland, if the conductor doesn't make it round to you because the train's too busy then that's not a reasonable opportunity (although if possible you should always approach them). Obviously, locking yourself in the bog on an empty train to avoid paying doesn't count!

For penalty fare purposes, the station where you started your journey is what matters. Since you started at Redland which is not a penalty fares station, you can't be charged a PF (Penalty Fare). Revenue staff have to take your word for this.

However, in your case you're not making an official connection at Temple Meads which muddies the waters - minimum connection time there is 10 minutes. If it was an official connection then you're definitely covered and entitled to purchase the discounted ticket at whichever stage of your journey presents the first reasoanble opportunity. Since it's unofficial you might give yourself problems if anyone realizes this.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 19:44:24 »

From the DFT (Department for Transport) website.

Interchange.A passenger who changes onto a penalty fares train at a penalty fares station may normally be charged a penalty fare if ticket facilities were available at the interchange station and warning notices were displayed where they could be seen by anyone changing onto the penalty fares train. However, under condition 7 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, the full normal range of tickets must be made available to any passenger who started their journey at a station where no ticket facilities were available. In these circumstances, a passenger should not be expected to buy a ticket at the interchange station if they do not have enough time to do so without missing their connection. If it is not possible to check whether or not ticket facilities were available at the station where the passenger started their journey (which may be a station run by a different train company), a penalty fare should not be charged.

This is a bit confusing. The first bit seems to imply that you can be penalty fared. The second bit then says you can't be.  The point about missing your connection is relevant to your question, but I would argue that connection times are recommended, and there is nothing to stop you trying to make a connection that is shorter.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 20:14:48 »

Another possible line of reasoning is that the published connection time varies proportionately to the size and complexity of the station, not because you might have to buy a ticket. So I'd suggest once you've had a quick look and found there's a major queue at the ticket office, you should be ok to just carry on with your connection.

But to be on the safe side, mention your problem to the guard as you are joining his train, rather than let him find you 2 hours later...

Paul
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 21:25:46 »

If you make every effort to find conductor as you enter train and are open and honest, then you should be ok as a fare evader is unlikely to be making the effort to find the member of staff. The sooner you make yourself known to a member of staff the safer it is for you increasing the chances of not having any problems
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 21:58:53 »

If you make every effort to find conductor as you enter train and are open and honest, then you should be ok as a fare evader is unlikely to be making the effort to find the member of staff. The sooner you make yourself known to a member of staff the safer it is for you increasing the chances of not having any problems

Which is what I generally do ..... except on at least two occasions, I've still come across a jobsworth...

I posted last year about - here's the summary version......

Arrive at slough - use season ticket through barriers as was running late

Can't remember why but last minute decided to go to paddington - I think it was to get summit from yo sushi but I may be wrong.

got on the XX:40 oxford train which then had a stone through the window at hayes (I think) and proceeded at a crawl to paddington. Tried to flag down the TM(resolve) even banging on the TGS as it was a 2+7 and couldnt raise him. Got into paddington with barely enough time to jump onto the last sensible train to newport (was during the blockade) the queue at the excess office precluded me getting the train .

Flagged down the TM - explained everything including the stone through the window - got excessed ^180 for a PAddington to Newport first class anytime rather than what I wanted which was a paddington to slough return and a didcot to newport single.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
moonrakerz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 22:00:15 »

My interpretation of the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) are that provided you started your journey at an unmanned station, you can buy your ticket on any part of your journey.  Is this correct?

....BUT, NRCoC doesn't come into effect until you have bought a ticket !    Wink

"When you buy a ticket to travel on the railway network you enter into an agreement ................... These National Rail Conditions of Carriage are also part of that agreement and they apply to all domestic (non-international) journeys by scheduled passenger train services of the Train Companies on the railway network of Great Britain."
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 16:10:52 »

There is also the byelaw 18(1) which states that you must buy a ticket before travelling if facilities exist, where the byelaw's/NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) contradict each other then it is the byelaw that will stand (as stated in the NRCoC) so although strictly speaking you may not be penalty fared you could still be prosecuted.

And with the Byelaw it doesn't matter where you started your journey, it just matters where you boarded the train that you are caught on, so a true "jobsworth" as you put it would probably just prosecute if confronted by someone quoting PF (Penalty Fare) regulations to them.

Best to just find the guard on the Severn beach line i'd say!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 18:03:20 »

Sorry vacman, but that's not correct. Here's byelaw 18 in full:

18. Ticketless travel in non-compulsory ticket areas
(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket entitling him to travel.
(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do so by an authorised person.
(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) if:
(i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or validation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where, he began his journey
; or
(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or
(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a valid ticket.
(my emphasis in bold)

So you're still protected if you started your journey at a station where tickets were not available, even if you have changed onto a different train in the meantime. This is also made plain in the CoC (Chamber of Commerce TBA), which further state explicitly that a TOC (Train Operating Company), its staff or agents have no authority to alter, waive or disregard any of the CoC.

Come to think of it, I suspect section (3)ii also applies, given that there are generally notices on the timetable board at unstaffed station like Redland instructing passengers to buy their tickets on the train.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 19:56:28 »

Sorry to change the subject here... I've seen on the PF (Penalty Fare) posters that travelling in First with a Standard ticket is liable for a penalty fare.

What are the rules if you have full intentions to upgrade your ticket to First Class?? Normally when travelling FGW (First Great Western), SWT (South West Trains) or XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) i've never had a problem and sold upgrades without any issues whatsoever. (But it will normally be a weekend I upgrade as on a weekday i'll have 1st ticket already.) My concern is will this still be acceptable when PF's come to force?

Normally I will have the money/company card out ready on the table so it does show I am willing to pay, and telling the TM(resolve) how much it normally is helps too... Grin

This leads me onto a Weekend First upgrade with PF's - It states quite clearly about travelling in First with a Standard ticket is liable for a penalty fare, But when you try and upgrade at the ticket office (In my experience) I've always been told to pay the upgrade on the train. Which defies the whole point of the rule IMO (in my opinion)...?! What would be my rights if I came across an over zealous TM who tried to issue PF because I couldn't get Weekend First at the station...??!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 20:29:48 »

Weekend First upgrade is a totally different situation to a First upgrade during the week.

FGW (First Great Western)'s literature says you can buy onboard or at a ticket office, no instruction on the website about finding the guard before taking a seat.

In the case of SWT (South West Trains) it is clearly stated that you find a seat and 'buy onboard', but in either case a PF (Penalty Fare) is clearly impossible.

Paul

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 22:24:16 »

But, just to round out Paul's answer, during the week unless you had purchased an upgrade before your journey you would be liable for a PF (Penalty Fare) if you started your journey at a penalty fares station (from which you could have purchased the relevant upgrade, obviously) and get checked on a penalty fares train by an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)).

I suspect Weekend First is covered by the following clause in condition 2, seeing as the notices and publications of the TOCs (Train Operating Company) offering weekend first make it clear that it can in most circumstances* be purchased on-board.

(ii) the notices and other publications issued by the Train Company in whose
train you are travelling indicate that you can buy tickets in that train.

*but not all - weekend first upgrades from, say, Paddington to Oxford have to be purchased at the booking office since many of the trains are DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) and won't carry any revenue staff.
Glovidge

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:00:47 »

I got caught short at Windsor the other day... Got connection from Reading to Slough and then straight to Windsor as the train was there rather than going through the barrier to buy a connecting ticket. (Usually my girlfriend picks me up from SLough but couldn't giving me 15 minutes notice of that fact)

There are never any conductors/TMs(resolve) on this Slough to Wndsor service (nor on the service between Reading and Slough) but on this day they were doing penalty fare checks at Windsor & Eton Central. ^20 lighter I vowed to get a ticket to W&E in the future!
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:31 »

I got caught short at Windsor the other day... Got connection from Reading to Slough and then straight to Windsor as the train was there rather than going through the barrier to buy a connecting ticket. (Usually my girlfriend picks me up from SLough but couldn't giving me 15 minutes notice of that fact)

There are never any conductors/TMs(resolve) on this Slough to Wndsor service (nor on the service between Reading and Slough) but on this day they were doing penalty fare checks at Windsor & Eton Central. ^20 lighter I vowed to get a ticket to W&E in the future!

Could you not have stayed on the train/got back on - gone to slough, got ticket, then gone back to windsor - or was time an issue.

Thats what I did once in a similar situation

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 18:39:00 »

Back to the byelaw though, it could be argued that the JOURNEY is the journey on the particular train, as each journey is dealt with individually in most cases.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: