07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:50:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent disabled woman gets ticket to opposite platform  (Read 8517 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 23, 2010, 18:39:30 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

A disabled woman has received an apology after she was told she had to go on a 45 minute return train journey to get to the opposite platform.
Wheelchair user Julie Cleary, 53, of Staplehurst, Kent, could not reach the correct platform at the town's station because the lift was unmanned.
She was told to get a return ticket to Ashford so she could reach the other side of the tracks.
Southeastern Railway said the lift can now be used unmanned at any time.
Ms Cleary said she needed to reach the other platform because the only exit to the station was located on that side.
She said: "I was astonished. Angry, at the fact that they'd spent all that money making this station accessible and it wasn't. We assumed you could remotely access it [the lift] by calling the help point, but apparently you had to pre-book it and my only option was to get a train to Ashford, cross the tracks and come back to access the other platform."
The lift had been installed as part of Network Rail's Access to All programme, which saw ^370m spent on delivering accessible routes throughout stations across the country.
Jon Hay-Campbell, of Southeastern Railway, said the company had apologised to Ms Cleary.
He said equipment had now been installed which meant the lifts could be used day and night without assistance.
He added: "We appreciate how frustrating this is for all the passengers."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:04 »

I think we have similar problems at Dawlish.

A few years back I had disabled relatives staying at the Railway convalescent place in Dawlish.
 Coming down from the north, had to change at Newton Abbot to go back.
 I think it is impossible to make all railway buildings disabled 'friendly', my disabled relatives realise this.
 So they plan their journeys accordingly.
 I think FGW (First Great Western) deserve credit, during the recent rail replacement, a taxi was pre-ordered for a wheel chair user from Newton Abbot to Exeter.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:04 »

Isn't there a track crossing at Dawlish, which can be used by disabled people when supervised by the station staff?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:02:46 »

Isn't there a track crossing at Dawlish, which can be used by disabled people when supervised by the station staff?

A track crossing that's against the all the "Elf and Safety Taliban " stand for. Even if it has warning lights as at Slough.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 13:27:52 »

A track crossing that's against the all the "Elf and Safety Taliban " stand for. Even if it has warning lights as at Slough.

The Dawlish crossing is frequently used when a PTS (Personal Track Safety) member of staff can assist.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 14:29:07 »

The track crossing from platforms 3/4 to platform 2 at Taunton was often used by to assist disabled passengers to platform 2 before the elevator was installed.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:04 »

There was never a problem at Dawlish, until the long serving member of staff retired last year.

Last Summer there were a few instances where casual staff were employed who could not use the crossing.
 Also, as with the article, Dawlish is not  staffed in the evenings.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10:18 »

Perhaps I'm not thinking along the lines of health and safety here, but why is PTS (Personal Track Safety) needed to cross a railway line?

Unmanned crossings in the middle of the countryside are operated by joe public who don't have PTS, so why would station staff need PTS?  Surely a few minutes training should be enough to cross a track?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:07 »

Not sure about needing PST qualification but station staff do need training in how to use a crossing.

After all Joe Public occasionaly gets knocked down on unmanned occupation crossing, which is the railways fault!.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 10:04:30 »

He's an interesting one for you... I remember raising it with a couple of members at the TravelWatch South West Conference over lunch.

Bournemouth - Gatwick Airport, there are 2 key tickets that are available, there is a third ticket via Havant, but I am specifying the most logical route/Direct:

Route 1: CLAPHAM JUNCTION - NOT LONDON - First Anytime Day Single with Disabled Railcard ^46.35
Route 2: ANY PERMITTED - First Anytime Day Single with Disabled Railcard ^64.95

Now, if you have limited/poor mobility or are in a wheelchair, Clapham Junction is far from ideal to change at. They are installing Lifts, but the work isn't yet finished.

So if Clapham Junction isn't a suitable option to change at, why should you be forced to fork out the extra ^18.60 just to change at a more appropriate station...??!

Does anyone know what the Disabled Passengers Policy for Southern/SWT (South West Trains) on routes such as this actually is...? It would be really interesting to know, As I have been known to make this journey with others who aren't quite as fortunate as me on the mobility side of things... Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 17:27:42 »

If a track crossing is an authorised walking route PTS (Personal Track Safety) is not required.

I was at Plymouth years ago and a passenger in a wheelchair was on a train that arrived at Platform 5, however due to a medical issue they couldn't be taken in a lift.

The Gunnislake Unit was between workings in Platform 3 and made a Special working to Platform 5 or 6 and back.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: